The Student Room Group

TSR's 2012 Tuition Fees Tracker - how much are universities charging in 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Not sure if this has already been posted, but Cambridge have announced they are intending to charge £9000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-12868146
ICL, UCL, Soton will charge 9k

I don't think high fees are really that terrifying:

for 4 year course you will have 36.000k fees debt

Providing that you will earn 26.000 , 5000 is above the threshold of 21.000, will be taxed. So essentially you will pay £450 a year. Repaying is not based on your loan but on your salary. I don't really see a problem with high fees when all that happens is you paying some insignificant sum every year.
Reply 102
Ok, wt...?? Leeds Met setting their fees at £8,500 a year. Does anyone else find this truly shocking?

I'm also genuinely interested to know if any people on here would apply to this uni now they've set the fees at £8,500?
Reply 104
bargain
Reply 105
If i had a choice i wouldn't apply even if it remained at 3k. £500 is nothing in the long run, they should've just charged 9k.
At least if you don't get into uni this time, you won't have much of a problem getting in next year!
Original post by citrusfruits
Ok, wt...?? Leeds Met setting their fees at £8,500 a year. Does anyone else find this truly shocking?

I'm also genuinely interested to know if any people on here would apply to this uni now they've set the fees at £8,500?

Leeds Met have "form". They misjudged the position last time with their "bargain" degrees. If Anglia Ruskin are planning to come in at £8000, then Leeds Met may be too high. The new universities of Lancashire, Huddersfield and York St John may undercut.

I waiting to see who thinks they will charge £6000 and strip out all of the costs of "Access".
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
ICL, UCL, Soton will charge 9k

I don't think high fees are really that terrifying:

for 4 year course you will have 36.000k fees debt

Providing that you will earn 26.000 , 5000 is above the threshold of 21.000, will be taxed. So essentially you will pay £450 a year. Repaying is not based on your loan but on your salary. I don't really see a problem with high fees when all that happens is you paying some insignificant sum every year.

For a four year course you will have to repay £36'000. But realistically, they way they've done this, most students will pay back double. Would you want to go to university, considering it could cost you up to £72'000 - £85'000 (including the maintenance loan you take out).
If you're from the sticks, like me, £85'000 is A TON of money. I'm sure for a lot of people, £85'000 isn't the kind of money they find down the back of the settee. I know I would probably be encouraged onto an apprenticeship if I had to pay the new fees.
University has become a brilliant means of social mobility. Considering my grandfather made barrels for a living (the son of a miner from rural Poland) and the other was a tradesman in the shipyard, the system we had was working perfectly. When I graduate, I have the prospects of office work, financial work, work in industry, law, engineering, or research. Without access to higher education, I would not have these opportunities, and I'd be stuck here.
I'm not saying university wont be open to the working classes, but a lot of students will miss out because of the pressure from their family. Uni is expensive enough as it is before you think about paying back tuition fees, and for some people, the prospect of such a large debt at the end of it makes the whole thing seem like it's not worthwhile.

Then consider that in reality, it's only vocational degrees (Medicine, Engineering, Law etc.) and science/technical degrees that pay off. If you're on an arts degree and you're facing the prospect of £9'000 a year for your tuition, chances are it wont pay off. Then there is a real danger that arts degrees will become the preserve of those who can afford it.
We don't exactly have a shortage of arts students, but don't you think it's a sad thing that your background/wealth should be an influencing factor on your higher education decisions?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 109
Liverpool John Moores charging full £9000 which seems pretty absurd for a uni 11th bottom in the Guardians rankings and around that in most of them! I can't see any uni really going below £8000 even the 'less good' unis which prob cant charge that amount in reality to attract students now that such a 'low' uni will charge the maximum.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by JayTeeKay
Considering my grandfather made barrels for a living (the son of a miner from rural Poland) and the other was a tradesman in the shipyard, the system we had was working perfectly. When I graduate, I have the prospects of office work, financial work, work in industry, law, engineering, or research.

We don't exactly have a shortage of arts students.

But unfortunately we do have a shortage of people who know how to make barrels

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7819254.stm
Original post by kangarooz
Liverpool John Moores charging full £9000 which seems pretty absurd for a uni 11th bottom in the Guardians rankings and around that in most of them! I can't see any uni really going below £8000 even the 'less good' unis which prob cant charge that amount in reality to attract students.

:rofl3:
For a four year course you will have to repay £36'000. But realistically, they way they're done this, most students will pay back double. Would you want to go to university, considering it could cost you up to £72'000 - £85'000 (including the maintenance loan you take out).
If you're from the sticks, like me, £85'000 is A F*CK TON of money. I'm sure for a lot of people, £85'000 isn't the kind of money they find down the back of the settee. I know I would probably be encouraged onto an apprenticeship if I had to pay the new fees.
University has become a brilliant means of social mobility. Considering my grandfather made barrels for a living (the son of a miner from rural Poland) and the other was a tradesman in the shipyard, the system we had was working perfectly. When I graduate, I have the prospects of office work, financial work, work in industry, law, engineering, or research. Without access to higher education, I would not have these opportunities, and I'd be stuck here.
I'm not saying university wont be open to the working classes, but a lot of students will miss out because of the pressure from their family. Uni is expensive enough as it is before you think about paying back tuition fees, and for some people, the prospect of such a large debt at the end of it makes the whole thing seem like it's not worthwhile.

Then consider that in reality, it's only vocational degrees (Medicine, Engineering, Law etc.) and science/technical degrees that pay off. If you're on an arts degree and you're facing the prospect of £9'000 a year for your tuition, chances are it wont pay off. Then there is a real danger that arts degrees will become the preserve of those who can afford it.
We don't exactly have a shortage of arts students, but don't you think it's a sad thing that your background/wealth should be an influencing factor on your higher education decisions?

I actually did some maths and it turns out to be that the majority of the 2012 applicants will pay their debts till retirement :eek:
(I am not considering those who will earn a fortune but only the majority)

The interest rate + the stupid £21,000 threshold will cause students to live with the uni, debt. For a such high figures the interest rate will actually be higher than the repayment amount ! So basically until you earn around 35-40k your debt will be increasing!! For the period of repayment (25 years until it is written off) students will pay the amount of : Their debt + 25% , Which is huge. Obviously you will pay a small portion but living with such a burden is a bit awkward IMO.
Student will become a serious business for Government. Qualified professionals + 25% profit from loans. I am actually rethinking now of taking maintenance loan.
I actually did some maths and it turns out to be that the majority of the 2012 applicants will pay their debts till retirement :eek:

The interest rate + the stupid £21,000 threshold will cause students to live with the uni, debt. For a such high figures the interest rate will actually be higher than the repayment amount ! So basically until you earn around 35-40k your debt will be increasing!! For the period of repayment (25 years until it is written off) students will pay the amount of : Their debt + 25% , Which is huge. Obviously you will pay a small portion but living with such a burden is a bit awkward IMO.
Student will become a serious business for Government. Qualified professionals + 25% profit from loans. I am actually rethinking now of taking maintenance loan.

Middle aged, middle class dinner table chit chat is of paying cash on the nail for the childrens' education and opting out of this altogether.
Reply 114
Original post by nulli tertius
But unfortunately we do have a shortage of people who know how to make barrels

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7819254.stm

Hey! My family have done their stint at barrel making. Now it's my turn to get fat while some privately educated potential history student makes the barrels.

The thing that really makes me sick is that not only are students making a direct contribution to the cost of higher education through the loans system, the whole point of going to uni is to earn a larger salary, and when you earn a larger salary, the amount of money you hand over to the government in income tax is larger. Not only do you have to pay for some of the cost of your degree straight off with a loan, you will also continue to pay the government as long as you are working.
Of course a fair bit of this goes on the NHS and so on, which is a very good thing, but even if you were to factor in the cost of the NHS (or your cost to the NHS, if you're an average guy) etc. the cost of higher education for a four year degree, maintenance loan included is probably 2 or three times what it actually cost to educate you. All this from a supposedly "fairer" higher education funding system :hmmmm2:
The thing that really makes me sick is that not only are students making a direct contribution to the cost of higher education through the loans system, the whole point of going to uni is to earn a larger salary, and when you earn a larger salary, the amount of money you hand over to the government in income tax is larger. Not only do you have to pay for some of the cost of your degree straight off with a loan, you will also continue to pay the government as long as you are working.
Of course a fair bit of this goes on the NHS and so on, which is a very good thing, but even if you were to factor in the cost of the NHS (or your cost to the NHS, if you're an average guy) etc. the cost of higher education for a four year degree, maintenance loan included is probably 2 or three times what it actually cost to educate you. All this from a supposedly "fairer" higher education funding system :hmmmm2:

totally ridiculous, I agree.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12880840 Full list here from the BBC if anyone hasn't seen it yet.
Reply 119
"Universities charging £9k per year will be the exemption. "

What a bloody farce. It seems at least 2/3rds or more are going to be charging the full amount.

Quick Reply

Latest