The Student Room Group

Would i still stand a chance?

So i posted a thread asking about my situation but i was at a ucas fair today and i got sick as i realised i actually really want to do medicine. My grades are terrible (gcse's ABBBBBBBCCC) and my as levels have gone very badly, i am retaking my moduals but i was forced to give up chemistry and am now doing biology, psychology, and english lit. I know its what i want to do and i have massive regrets for not working, i was capible, i used to be a top student but i just became lazy and had a bit of a freak out today. Looking at all the courses and uni's at this thing was torture, nothing looked appealing apart from the thing i have wanted to do since i was little (medicine). I know i can do well but i dont really know how to go about trying to pull this off. Do i just carry on with my three current subjects, do chemsitry next year along with my other A2s and take a gap year for experience then apply? I really dont know how to go about mending my situation. Cheers :frown:
Reply 1
Nearly all universities ask for Chemistry, you'd be hard pushed to find one that doesn't. Also, most state that you must achieve the necessary grades (typically AAA) within 2 years.

I'd say your best bet is to get on an access to medicine program and apply, or do a different degree first and apply for graduate entry medicine. Its not over for you, there are still means of getting into medicine, but I don't think you'd stand much of a chance applying for undergraduate medicine.
Reply 2
Original post by mclovin123
I know its what i want to do and i have massive regrets for not working, i was capible, i used to be a top student but i just became lazy

Reply 3
I think the most realistic thing to do is it to look at other options, being completely honest.
youre not intelligent enough to become a doctor. sorry
Maybe you should try the graduate entry route. Do a degree such as biochemistry/ biomedical sciences and then apply once you've graduated.

Do you have any extenuating circumstances that would allow you to join access schemes like Access to Leeds or Manchester Access Programme?

I think you should consider alternative routes. Medicine is extremely competitive and your GCSE's would not meet many of the unis minimum requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending