The Student Room Group

Optometry, aston or cardiff for firm? How flexible are they both?

Poll

What is your firm choice for optometry 2011 entry?

Has anyone heard of people getting in to either of these universities without the required AAA? I have heard that aston is slightly flexible, and cardiff i assume not so much? because apparently its much better... but does anyone know anything for certain? I am predicted AAB and think i will get that but i cant chose between the two.. i like the aston campus but cardiff is much closer, but realisticly i just want to be accepted with AAB and dont mind where! Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Aston is far more flexible. Who are you insuring?

Cardiff is not much better than Aston, or any other optometry school for that matter.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Apparently Aston is extremely flexible - last year *me thinks* only 6 people on the optometry course got AAA. My friend was in the same position as you & ended up Firming Aston & Insurancing Cardiff and she has no intention of getting AAA.

Good luck!
My sister is in Cardiff Optoms, got AAB, with the B in biology.
Reply 4
Original post by roseroserose.
My sister is in Cardiff Optoms, got AAB, with the B in biology.

Oh wow! what year was that? Did she have loads of work experience or something? :smile:
Original post by Lily Bishop
Oh wow! what year was that? Did she have loads of work experience or something? :smile:

Around 4 years ago. To be honest it might have been AAB offer back then, but it was always compulsory to have an A in biology which she missed. Cried her eyes out on results day because her insurance was ABB, with an A in biology :rolleyes: but it all worked out fine.
She didn't have any work experience relevant, and can't really think of any she had done, thinking about it :confused: Just the usual work experience in Year 12 in a charity shop for a week.
She loved it there though, firmed it over Aston, and would thoroughly recommend it. :smile:
My friend got into manchester this year (the current one) with ABB, and the B wasn't even in a science related subject.

City is known to be extremely flexible. it's always in clearing too.
Remember that what a university may/may not have done with students missing offers in previous years may not be the same this year, particularly if it is being advertised on forums such as this that they're well known for letting people in with lower offers. You won't be the only person to have read this thread and considered putting them as your firm/insurance for this reason!

Moved to the health care courses forum.
A friend of mine got onto the course with ABB. This was only last year.
Original post by oxymoronic
Remember that what a university may/may not have done with students missing offers in previous years may not be the same this year, particularly if it is being advertised on forums such as this that they're well known for letting people in with lower offers. You won't be the only person to have read this thread and considered putting them as your firm/insurance for this reason!

Moved to the health care courses forum.

i'm talking about the year that just went. i doubt they're going to make a dramatic change you know.
Reply 10
At Aston's open day, they said that they are extremely flexible with grades, with only 10% of applicants meeting the AAA required, and specifically said they have had applicant's accepted with grades BBB.

I contacted the Head of admissions at Cardiff, regarding this matter, and he replied:

" I would estimate that approximately 80% of our students achieve the AAA we asked for, but it can very from year to year"

In terms of flexibility I would definitely recommend Aston, however personally visiting both places, I found the facilities at Cardiff more modern. With the education itself, University Rankings have alternated between Cardiff and Aston for 1st place, so at either place, you should be sure to get a good degree.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by fambo786
At Aston's open day, they said that they are extremely flexible with grades, with only 10% of applicants meeting the AAA required, and specifically said they have had applicant's accepted with grades BBB.

I contacted the Head of admissions at Cardiff, regarding this matter, and he replied:

" I would estimate that approximately 80% of our students achieve the AAA we asked for, but it can very from year to year"

In terms of flexibility I would definitely recommend Aston, however personally visiting both places, I found the facilities at Cardiff more modern. With the education itself, University Rankings have alternated between Cardiff and Aston for 1st place, so at either place, you should be sure to get a good degree.

Hope this helps. :smile:

It all depends on how many people applied for the course this year, and to which universities. If they have enough spaces, they would have no choice but to lower their requirements. i hope that's the case this year!
Reply 12
I just put Aston as my firm (AAA), do you recon my medical history and situation at home will be taken into account on the day of results? or is that forgotten after ive been given an offer :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Could anyone please tell me if it would be okay to put down Cardiff as my firm and Aston as my insurance even if they both ask for AAA or would it be too risky?:s-smilie:
Original post by may16
Could anyone please tell me if it would be okay to put down Cardiff as my firm and Aston as my insurance even if they both ask for AAA or would it be too risky?:s-smilie:

The way it's been told to me, Aston's general policy is to take those they have to (people who have met their firm offer or people who held an insurance offer they have met, but missed their firm offer), then fill any remaining places with people who missed their firm offer.

For example, say they have 100 places, 100 firm offer holders and 50 insurance offer holders. 50% of the firm offer holders get their offer (50 people) and 50% of the insurance offer holders get their grades but miss their firm offer (25 people). The uni still have 25 places to fill, so look at those who missed the firm offer and take the 25 who were nearest to achieving the offer.

In my opinion, having Aston as insurance is a waste of time because you'll either get AAA and go to Cardiff or not get AAA and are very unlikely to get in.
Reply 15
What about Glasgow Cali?
Reply 16
Original post by HaimishaParekh
A friend of mine got onto the course with ABB. This was only last year.

Which uni?
Reply 17
hey guys...

anyone know how lenient bradford are?

e.g. AAB offer..and getting ABC or even ACC?

:smile:
Original post by Zakir
hey guys...

anyone know how lenient bradford are?

e.g. AAB offer..and getting ABC or even ACC?

:smile:

one of my friends got BBB and she had no difficulty getting onto the course.
Reply 19
Original post by PicsOrGTFO
one of my friends got BBB and she had no difficulty getting onto the course.

Oh ok...whats the lowest you know anyones got in with? That had bradford as their firm..

Quick Reply

Latest