The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Official Rosebery thread thing 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by englica
Ohh ok, so (if I remember correctly from when I looked round) there is a microwave with two rings on top, like a little hob thing? And then is there a separate grill?
I guess if it's just a grill then you cant really bake anything? Like cake wise?

Thanks

The "little hob thing" is a grill with two rings on top. The microwave is on the other side of the kitchen, next to the kettle and toaster.

People have used the grill to made cakes and cookies before. Over the past few years, the grill has been used a lot to cook oven foods. It's literally only chickens and frozen pies that have created trouble. I can't think of anything else. Hope that helps!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Got a couple of questions.

1. I know it say we have to sign guests in and it's only one per room, but how strict are they? Will they be bothered if I have a couple of mates come up and visit me?

2. Regarding mini-fridges, it says we have to pay £25 quid for the extra electricity and get it PAT tested. Do we have to do this on moving in day? And, if so, how long 'til we get them back?
Reply 202
Original post by Alpha Paradox
Got a couple of questions.

1. I know it say we have to sign guests in and it's only one per room, but how strict are they? Will they be bothered if I have a couple of mates come up and visit me?

2. Regarding mini-fridges, it says we have to pay £25 quid for the extra electricity and get it PAT tested. Do we have to do this on moving in day? And, if so, how long 'til we get them back?

1. Most people don't sign their guests in. They really aren't that strict about it. It's quite common for people to have friends/family to stay.

2. Again, don't know anyone who has ever done this and it's quite common for people to have fridges in their rooms. Even if you specifically tell reception, they don't ask for an extra payment or any testing.

(I can only presume things this year will be the same as they have been in the past few years)
Reply 203
Oh btw, I should probably say that I've moved into my £124 room and it's a single in the Rosebery Wing. May clear up the confusion for some.
Is it possible to extend the contract to 40 weeks to cover Christmas and Easter holidays? I think that I read it is but that you have to tell them early on...
Reply 205
Original post by Michael XYZ
Is it possible to extend the contract to 40 weeks to cover Christmas and Easter holidays? I think that I read it is but that you have to tell them early on...

Yep, they advertise a few weeks before the holidays on boards around the hall saying how many days you have left to confirm whether you would like to keep your room over the holidays. The only holiday you cannot extend your rent for is Summer (unless you want to pay tourist rate).
Original post by Hollie -
Yep, they advertise a few weeks before the holidays on boards around the hall saying how many days you have left to confirm whether you would like to keep your room over the holidays. The only holiday you cannot extend your rent for is Summer (unless you want to pay tourist rate).

Cool. Do some/most people choose to do this or is it quite rare?
Reply 207
Cool. Do some/most people choose to do this or is it quite rare?

The hall is mostly full of tourists then. It is mostly international students who decide to rent through the holidays.
Original post by Hollie -
1. Most people don't sign their guests in. They really aren't that strict about it. It's quite common for people to have friends/family to stay.

2. Again, don't know anyone who has ever done this and it's quite common for people to have fridges in their rooms. Even if you specifically tell reception, they don't ask for an extra payment or any testing.

(I can only presume things this year will be the same as they have been in the past few years)

Thanks, was pretty much just going to do that anyway :tongue:
Reply 209
Hello,

Sorry to disturb you guys...

I have a shared room in Northumberland (male), and would like to swap to a single room in any of the halls.

For its location, the rate of the room is really good!

Please let me know and PM me or contact me on [email protected]

Thanks!
Reply 210
Hey, just to clarify is the dress code at the freshers ball for guys Black tie or just any suit? Don't want to be over dressed if I turn up in black tie!
Reply 211
I wanted to know if the room rates were sorted out. Im paying 101 /week in a shared room. Is it possible to pay this little in the myddelton wing ?Because I called a few weeks ago and was told that's where my room was.
Reply 212
Original post by joniboy98
Hey, just to clarify is the dress code at the freshers ball for guys Black tie or just any suit? Don't want to be over dressed if I turn up in black tie!

Hey, any suit will do. A few do come in black tie. Just make sure you do have a suit, as dark denim would be a bit too casual.
Reply 213
Original post by aagron
I wanted to know if the room rates were sorted out. Im paying 101 /week in a shared room. Is it possible to pay this little in the myddelton wing ?Because I called a few weeks ago and was told that's where my room was.

Hey, that definitely sounds like a Myd Wing twin room.
Out of curiosity, are the events on the Rosebery Hall Facebook page for just Rosebery Hall people or for everyone?
Reply 215
Out of curiosity, are the events on the Rosebery Hall Facebook page for just Rosebery Hall people or for everyone?

The schedule is organised by the committee, but most of the events are run by other organisations. For instance, the club nights are open to the general public and the SU nights are open to all LSE students. The "quiet nights" are only for Roseberians, although you are welcome to bring along friends.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 216
Hey, quick question (probably been asked before, but I can't remember)

On average, how big is a C room? And how much storage do they tend to have? I'm trying to figure out if all my stuff is actually going to fit into my room tomorrow!
Reply 217
Original post by englica
Hey, quick question (probably been asked before, but I can't remember)

On average, how big is a C room? And how much storage do they tend to have? I'm trying to figure out if all my stuff is actually going to fit into my room tomorrow!

No idea what a Band C room is - how much are you paying per week?

If it's the 117-125 one, then you're looking at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1385216883163&set=o.298479867530&type=1&theater (and the two photos before it in the album) and this is the other side of the room: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=180848511963655&set=pu.177589728956200&type=1&theater

If it's >125, you're looking at a Myd Wing single which is slightly smaller but has newer furniture.

If it's <117, you're looking at a twin room which has as much space for each person as a single but more floorspace.

Hope that helps! (I always just bring a car full and hope for the best. I've never had a shortage of places to put things and have often had empty drawers)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 218
anyone else think the internet is **** here?
hey, I have a single room with shared bathroom and kitchen access at Bankside, and am looking for a single at Rosebery - my room is lovely, I'm on the corner of the building so I have two big windows and the room is quite large, so as much as it would pain me to give it up I would just prefer something a bit cheaper! it's 143.50 a week, let me know if you're interested!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending