The Student Room Group

*Hard* Inheritance Question

I'm as good as stuck on this question, any help would be most appreciated.

Finger length and foot length are linked on the same chromosome. Long fingers are dominant over short fingers. Long feet are dominant over short feet. What is the chance of a male who is heterozygous for both characteristics (father had long fingers and short feet, mother had short fingers and long feet) and a female who is homozygous recessive for feet length and homozygous dominant for finger length having a child that has long fingers and short feet?

Regards,

Dimez :smile:
Reply 1
Dimez, I have no idea about inheritance but I think maybe you could find out the individual percentage chances (that of the child having long fingers & short feet) & just add them up perhaps?
Reply 2
hira89
Dimez, I have no idea about inheritance but I think maybe you could find out the individual percentage chances (that of the child having long fingers & short feet) & just add them up perhaps?

I'm afraid it isn't that easy, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it on TSR.

Thanks for the suggestion Hira by the way.

:smile:
Reply 3
As if i was of any help! lol :smile:
Reply 4
Let F/f = fingers
Let T/t = feet (as in toes :wink:)
Ok so you're going to have male gametes Ft and fT
And female gametes Ft and Ft
So it doesn't matter which female gamete you get, since they are the same.
Also since the woman is dominant for long fingers then it doesn't matter what kind of fingers the man has: only feet
Since one of his chromosomes codes for short feet and the other for long it's a 50:50 chance

I think
Reply 5
Yeah I got 50% as well. Thanks Bekaboo :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending