The Student Room Group

GMC advice

Hi guys (and girls), in short I'm interested in studying my true interest, computing, alongside medicine.

I suppose it's a bit of an unrealistic boyhood dream, but I quite like entertaining the idea of becoming a computer game designer.

Obviously I've no idea what this entails, and thought I would start by learning a language to whet my appetite and just read around the subject to see if I really will enjoy it.

Can any GMC students recommend a good place to start please? e.g. subjects, the most enjoyable bit for you, languages, books etc. I'd be really grateful, thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Can you even do that? I'm pretty sure joint honours with medicine isn't possible?

Unless you mean recreationally; but you have very little chance of becoming a game designer that way (unless you make your own indie game that goes massive e.g. Minecraft).

Also: I don't see the relevance to this forum apart from that computing uses some mathematical skills?
Reply 2
Original post by hassi94
Can you even do that? I'm pretty sure joint honours with medicine isn't possible?

Unless you mean recreationally; but you have very little chance of becoming a game designer that way (unless you make your own indie game that goes massive e.g. Minecraft).

Also: I don't see the relevance to this forum apart from that computing uses some mathematical skills?

I don't intend to do either of those things - I want to study it recreationally, and pursue game design as a hobby rather than a vocation.

You are correct, your point being? I thought my question would be better answered here by helpful JMC students rather than in the computing forum which has poor turnout, but I appear utterly mistaken.

I appreciate your input, but asking inane questions without actually answering my original question is pretty unhelpful - why don't you make your own topic, within the designated forum for that topic of course. ._.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by buzzcat
I don't intend to do either of those things - I want to study it recreationally, and pursue game design as a hobby rather than a vocation.

You are correct, your point being? I thought my question would be better answered here by helpful JMC students rather than in the computing forum which has poor turnout, but I appear utterly mistaken.

I appreciate your input, but asking inane questions without actually answering my original question is pretty unhelpful - why don't you make your own topic, within the designated forum for that topic of course. ._.

Well you didn't make your need very clear so how can people answer your questions while not knowing your situation?

So all I did was allow anyone who COULD answer this question to do it better since they now have clearer information.

You posted in the wrong forum, don't try turn it on me as if I've done something wrong.

But for any advice I can give: I'd begin by learning Java as it is one of the most simple languages to write games in. You can do this by searching for java tutorials online etc. Keep up to date with things in the gaming industry by watching developer videos and reading articles. I doubt there are many good books on the subject; since it is a computer-related subject it would make sense that information is most abundant on the internet.
Reply 4
Original post by hassi94
Well you didn't make your need very clear so how can people answer your questions while not knowing your situation?

So all I did was allow anyone who COULD answer this question to do it better since they now have clearer information.

You posted in the wrong forum, don't try turn it on me as if I've done something wrong.

But for any advice I can give: I'd begin by learning Java as it is one of the most simple languages to write games in. You can do this by searching for java tutorials online etc. Keep up to date with things in the gaming industry by watching developer videos and reading articles. I doubt there are many good books on the subject; since it is a computer-related subject it would make sense that information is most abundant on the internet.

Ok sorry I can see you were being genuine, and thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest