The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I turned down a PhD I had been offered to do the one I did. I had the exact same response as Shiny.
Reply 21
Hiya Fluffy!

what would you do if you were offered the place and they wanted to know whether you accepted it or not before the closing date of the one you ideally wanted had come? im really struggling with this! any thoughts would be appreciated :smile: i don't want to turn down a good phd in the hope of getting a really good phd and then not get the really good phd because i don't pass the interview or something. :frown:
Reply 22
I don't know to be honest.

If you're not happy getting a PhD from Wolverhampton then don't take it. However, don't let academic snobbery get in the way of what might be a good project. Although having said that, I would be highly suspicious of any supervisor with a poor publication output.

The scientist in me is shouting that it is really rather unethical to accept a PhD from a poor lab and then decline it after a comitment has been made. It costs a small fortune to readvertise it and to interview...

Just to be nosy, how much of a stipend does it come with, and what aspect of cancer research is it in.
Reply 23
labrat
what attracted you to the phd you are doing at the moment?, apart from the fact that it was oxford!

my supervisor is quite relaxed about work and stuff and doesn't mind me being a slacker. it means i can have a flexible work style and also get involved with other areas of research (e.g. i recently got my name on a paper that my friend in another department is working on).
Reply 24
labrat
Also Shiny, why did you ask about what uni i was thinking of applying to? just wondering if it would have made any difference to the advice you gave me about applying there?

just wanted to know all the facts. i agree with mum (Fluffy) in that it's tough to choose. i guess it's about risk and how willing you are to chance losing the offer you hold now for something else.
Reply 25
thanks guys for trying to help!v :biggrin:

i wouldn't accept a phd and then turn it down because i don't think that would be right but i just wondered if i should withdraw my application.

fluffy - i have pm'ed you! :smile:

Latest