The Student Room Group

Love shy guys :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hatemylife
awww, this whole saga is pretty cute :h:

Ha! I would personally describe it as frustrating :tongue:
Original post by Anonymous
Ha! I would personally describe it as frustrating :tongue:

I can understand. I'm shy myself. Haven't got much advice for you, though :frown:
Original post by hatemylife
I can understand. I'm shy myself. Haven't got much advice for you, though :frown:

Damn :smile: Male or female, out of interest?
Original post by Anonymous
Damn :smile: Male or female, out of interest?

Male :smile: Sometimes I wonder if I do the whole 'looking pi**ed off' thing because no one ever warms to me, whether it be strangers, acquaintances or even 'friends'. Secretly, as someone mentioned, I think perhaps he is relishing your attention. If you can manage to get him on his own, I think he'd be more inclined to reveal slightly more of himself.
No more shy guys to comment then :biggrin:
why are people shy- is it because they are afraid of sounding stupid or feeling that people are judgeing them; or simply not knowing what to say to people they don't know that well; or maybe they can't be bothered talking
Original post by ihatebrownbread
why are people shy- is it because they are afraid of sounding stupid or feeling that people are judgeing them; or simply not knowing what to say to people they don't know that well; or maybe they can't be bothered talking

Could be all three :tongue:

Personally, it's the first two, I'm scared of saying something stupid (or maybe making a joke and no one laughing, awkward...) as well as generally not knowing what to say. I think alot about what I say before I actually do it, really thinking over in my head ("I could say that, but they might say this...or that..or look at me weirdly...oh damn moments gone"). I completely fall into despair when I hit an awkward silence in a conversation and either end up saying bye as that's the only thing I can think of, or just end up looking around like there's gonna be a script written down somewhere... so bad at talking to people.
Original post by sr90
Couldn't help but go 'awww', he likes you. :smile: Maybe get talking to him on fb first?

It is mostly the first two. Some people have a few bad experiences that its so hard to trust people and they'll assume that everyone is the same. It can take a while to see past that. Certainly for me it was a constant worry as to what people thought of me, even if i barely knew them, and like you say, a fear of sounding stupid or simply not knowing what to say... it was horrible having a conversation dry up and having to make up some excuse to leave. Even when around my friends i'd become withdrawn at times. Much like the poster above i'd excessively think things through in my head, i think most shy people do this.

A lot of people think they want to be left alone and don't want to talk but usually its the opposite. Having been through it myself i do try and talk to shy people (eg. if i'm near them in class) and get them involved, as thats how i met my first girlfriend and like someone said earlier, let out all that supressed confidence and found it so much easier to talk to people and make friends. Its often the case that they gradually begin talking to you more once they know you're not a ****. Some people do want to be left alone but at least i've tried.

I think everyone is shy to some extent, but some people are really good at not caring, leaving their comfort zone, or simply hiding it. There are still a few times now where i'm not too keen on doing something but its so much easier for me to go 'who cares' and go for it.

Yeah, I certainly understand the excessive thinking things through. I have done this as well, actually...there was a VERY shy guy on my course who would talk to noone but I persevered and got him to open up; he's now one of my closest friends and I introduced him to many of my other friends too, and we all hang out together. I know I used to be shyer, but I went with the fake til you make it cliche for a bit...I'll always be shy to an extent, but I'm much more confident now. Except when I like someone obviously :wink:

Well, he's never on chat, which was what I was relying on...I think he must always appear offline, because he's active on the profile etc. I've now realised that he's openly an shy guy, he knows he's like that...and I think, from what I've been able to gage, that he probably doesn't think he's as attractive as I find him. Stupid situation anyway. Thanks for taking the time to write a longer response, its much appreciated :smile:
Original post by DumpOrStay?
I smell jealously :teehee:

Hasan is fit :coma:

:fan:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending