The Student Room Group

UCAS Points/Grade Requirements/Mature Student

Have Uni's been known to accept applicants that have achieved the required UCAS Points, but haven't got the right grade?

They want a DD from me but I only managed an MM, but I have the right amount of UCAS points and have heard if you have an excellent Personal Statement and plenty of work experience then you can be considered? I've been working for a Web Design company for three years and want to apply for a Digital Media course so I'm hoping this helps me?

Also, apparently I'm a mature student as I'm 21? it's the first I've heard of it so do I need to apply as a mature student on UCAS? will this help my cause? haven't sent my application off yet as I'm waiting to speak to the Uni about the course I want to do, but everything's done except it being sent.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Dannnn
Have Uni's been known to accept applicants that have achieved the required UCAS Points, but haven't got the right grade?

They want a DD from me but I only managed an MM, but I have the right amount of UCAS points and have heard if you have an excellent Personal Statement and plenty of work experience then you can be considered? I've been working for a Web Design company for three years and want to apply for a Digital Media course so I'm hoping this helps me?

Also, apparently I'm a mature student as I'm 21? it's the first I've heard of it so do I need to apply as a mature student on UCAS? will this help my cause? haven't sent my application off yet as I'm waiting to speak to the Uni about the course I want to do, but everything's done except it being sent.

Thank you :smile:

Depends Where are you applying for? because as you are mature student they may take your personal experiences is to account, and also how can you have the required ucas points because DD is 240 ? whereas MM is 160?
Reply 2
Original post by FinalMH
Depends Where are you applying for? because as you are mature student they may take your personal experiences is to account, and also how can you have the required ucas points because DD is 240 ? whereas MM is 160?

I'm applying at Christ Church Canterbury doing Digital Media - would being a mature student help me?

And I also got an M in a BTEC National Award which got me 80 UCAS points to add towards it :smile:
Reply 3
Can anyone help?
Original post by Dannnn
Can anyone help?

Some universities are willing to accept you if you dont meet their requirements.

However, this will, for 99% of cases, be only if other people do not meet their offer.

If 100 people hold offers, and 95 meet the offer, providing any other complications like departments borrowing 'places' for another course, 5 people will be allowed on the course who didn't meet the offer.

I think it's best to email them and find out their policy.
Reply 5
Original post by Dannnn
I'm applying at Christ Church Canterbury doing Digital Media - would being a mature student help me?

And I also got an M in a BTEC National Award which got me 80 UCAS points to add towards it :smile:

Those taking the 18 unit National Diploma should achieve MMM overall. :smile:

so you meet their offer?

if you already have MM? and have M from Award then technically you meet the requirements :smile: if i m honest if you have good experiences as well as good personal statement you have good chances, nothing wrong with applying.

You should apply as soon as possible though considering the deadline for same consideration has pass :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by FinalMH
Those taking the 18 unit National Diploma should achieve MMM overall. :smile:

so you meet their offer?

if you already have MM? and have M from Award then technically you meet the requirements :smile: if i m honest if you have good experiences as well as good personal statement you have good chances, nothing wrong with applying.

You should apply as soon as possible though considering the deadline for same consideration has pass :smile:

I was thinking that, but apparently the two courses I did won't go together so I received an MM for the Award and an M for the Diploma which totals 240 UCAS points? think the Award was a 12 Module meaning I needed to achieve a DD.

I've called them a few times and left their reception messages, basically going to call them every day to show I'm determined :smile:

So it has been known for Uni's to accept people in my situation? I want to get into Christ Church more than anything so hopefully they will.
Reply 7
Original post by ilickbatteries
Some universities are willing to accept you if you dont meet their requirements.

However, this will, for 99% of cases, be only if other people do not meet their offer.

If 100 people hold offers, and 95 meet the offer, providing any other complications like departments borrowing 'places' for another course, 5 people will be allowed on the course who didn't meet the offer.

I think it's best to email them and find out their policy.

Yeah I've emailed them and called them up but they were having trouble with their phonelines apparently so left a few messages. I'm going to call them tomorrow anyway until I actually speak to someone.

My UCAS Application is done, all I need to do is pay and send basically - is worth doing that anyway even if I haven't spoken to the Uni? just wondering if they'll consider it if I haven't spoken to them in time? just want to get it done to be honest.

Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 8
Well, I've just sent my application off so fingers crossed I get accepted! I'd be brilliant on this course, I've got the work experience as well so hopefully that's enough.

Is it worth sorting out my student finance or is it pre-mature? I don't want to jinx it, I really want to get in but I don't want to get ahead of myself as there's probably a bigger chance that I won't get in :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Any other help please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending