The Student Room Group

How do I get a level 8 in Maths?

I'm in Year 9 and I need a level 8 in Maths- preferably an 8A. I am currently working at a level 7B. I need a level 8 to stay in top set for next yea and this would also allow me to take two extra Math GCSEs- Statistics and Additional Maths/FSMQ. Please help- my exams are coming up soon so I need to know what I should practice so I can improve :smile:

Any other tips are very welcome! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

hehe i got a 7A in my yr 9 sats for maths,
1 mark from an 8C but i couldnt care less as i knew i was gonna be top set nxt year

our skl just gave us past papers and tons of exercise questions in our textbooks, that's all really
and of course, reading the CGP guide will help
Reply 2
Woahh back in the days of year 9 :tongue: I think that for maths, practice is all you can really do. If you do loads of past papers then you will do all sorts of problems and understand the exam format and stuff :smile:
Mymaths.co.uk is kewl.
Reply 4
Would doing the Y9 SATs Math papers from emaths.co.uk help? I never seem to have enough time to answer all the questions on exams as I run out of time, maybe because I spend too much time on one question or that it takes a while for me to understand the question itself..Any tips? Would doing the KS3 SATs past papers help me- although they have been scrapped? And how different are the year 9 end-of-year exams compared to the old Y9 SATs (which don't take place anymore)?

Sorry, if I'm asking too many questions but I'm feeling a bit anxious to get good grades in the exam... :frown:
Reply 5
Just do a few past papers, god damn it's all so easy though looking back, same can be said for GCSE
Think I got 8 in maths and 6 in science and english when I was in year 9
Reply 6
Original post by bobbricks

Would doing the Y9 SATs Math papers from emaths.co.uk help? I never seem to have enough time to answer all the questions on exams as I run out of time, maybe because I spend too much time on one question or that it takes a while for me to understand the question itself..Any tips? Would doing the KS3 SATs past papers help me- although they have been scrapped? And how different are the year 9 end-of-year exams compared to the old Y9 SATs (which don't take place anymore)?

Sorry, if I'm asking too many questions but I'm feeling a bit anxious to get good grades in the exam... :frown:

We were just given past papers at the end of Year 9, as SATs were scrapped just as we started that year. I can't remember the format of the exams exactly, but I believe there were three papers, and I distinctly remember doing mental arithmetic from a tape. I'm sorry I can't provide more answers; it was quite a long time ago for me.
I'm in Year 9 and I need a level 8 in Maths- preferably an 8A. I am currently working at a level 7B. I need a level 8 to stay in top set for next yea and this would also allow me to take two extra Math GCSEs- Statistics and Additional Maths/FSMQ. Please help- my exams are coming up soon so I need to know what I should practice so I can improve :smile:

Do the 6-8 tier past papers? They are all in the public domain. Do Paper 1, Paper 2 and either Mental Test A OR B (ignore Mental Test C). The papers, mark schemes and grade boundaries are all here:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS3SAT.htm

Please note that this may give you an unfair advantage over your classmates as I suspect your school will use one of these tests for your assessment. There is no such thing as a KS3 sublevel like 7A, 7B, 7C. In fact, the whole concept of National Curriculum Levels is fatally flawed and you may be interested to hear that they will be abolished soon when the National Curriculum Review is published.
Reply 8
I went from 7B in year 8 to 8A in year 9 - so you should manage.
Reply 9
Cool, thanks :smile:

Also, are there any other websites that could help me in reaching my goal? :smile:

And would doing the questions in the KS3 Maths Workbook help me?
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M

Please note that this may give you an unfair advantage over your classmates as I suspect your school will use one of these tests for your assessment. There is no such thing as a KS3 sublevel like 7A, 7B, 7C. In fact, the whole concept of National Curriculum Levels is fatally flawed and you may be interested to hear that they will be abolished soon when the National Curriculum Review is published.

Why do you think that my school will use one of those tests in my exam? :s-smilie:
I thought the school made up the exams themselves?
Reply 11
Just do past papers, you'll be able to do it quickly. Level 8 in maths is easy, you just have to do past papers. Tbh it doesn't matter unless it affects your GCSE options/whether you do higher or foundation.
Reply 12
On my last report card it said i had 8b but i passed that now im on a 9, well thats what my teacher said. My adivce would be to get a maths GCSE book and just do questions from that and also past papers.
Maths is like being flexible, if you dont streach everyday then you will lose your ablity to be flexible. Revise everyday.
Why do you think that my school will use one of those tests in my exam? :s-smilie:
I thought the school made up the exams themselves?

They might do but it is more likely they will use a past paper as it has clearly defined grade boundaries based on national statistics.
You could work through all of KS3 Bitesize and perhaps get the KS3 Maths CGP Revision guide and read it. That is what I did. :smile:

Good luck in your SATs.
Reply 15
Thanks, for the support guys :smile:
If you have any other tips, feel free to share them :smile:

Also, would an FSMQ or Statistics GCSE affect anything in my life (career, university etc)?

As well as that, is it weird for me to like and enjoy Maths/Science and hate English at school- even though that's what I'm naturally better at?

And which KS3 exam would my school more likely give me- the latest one (2009) or an older one (e.g. 2008)? Or would they mix SAT papers together (e.g. get some pages from the 2009 exam and 2008 exam and mix them together)?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
get off the computer and revise!
Reply 17
Original post by shamima37
On my last report card it said i had 8b but i passed that now im on a 9, well thats what my teacher said.

:teehee: I guess your Level 9 on the SATs will stand you in good stead for an A** at GCSE...

Spoiler

Also, would an FSMQ or Statistics GCSE affect anything in my life (career, university etc)?

No. I have a maths offer for Cambridge and I didn't do an FSMQ - although if you like maths, choosing to take one may add to your application. It's perfectly possible to study maths at a top university without either. I do have a statistics GCSE and I would say that it made S1 slightly easier at AS, but the difference was pretty negligible. Take them if you want to, and you would probably enjoy them if you like maths, and they're definitely not bad options. But realistically, lack of them won't hold you back.

Practice... Practice... Practice...

THere is no other way to get better in maths..
Thanks, for the support guys :smile:
If you have any other tips, feel free to share them :smile:

As well as that, is it weird for me to like and enjoy Maths/Science and hate English at school- even though that's what I'm naturally better at?

And which KS3 exam would my school more likely give me- the latest one (2009) or an older one (e.g. 2008)? Or would they mix SAT papers together (e.g. get some pages from the 2009 exam and 2008 exam and mix them together)?

Universities like it if you have done the FSMQ and done well in it as not very many people do. I think it shows that not only are you good at Maths, but that you are willing to put the effort in; lots of people that do it are good at Maths but do not bother to put the required work in because they are good and come out with Es and Fs. However, some people just can't keep up, so it depends really.

I don't know how much they value Statistics GCSE though. I am sure it would be better to have done it than not (as long as you get a reasonable grade).

There is nothing wrong with enjoying Maths/Science and hating subjects that you are naturally better at. In the end, you will probably end up choosing the subjects that you enjoy. :smile:

As for which exam they would give you, I have no idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending