The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randdom
How are you getting on?

I was booked for 'elective' section today... unfortunately due to number of emergencies and him needing a neonatal bed available, it's been postponed :frown: First (and only one) on the list for tomorrow now - though any concerns with my monitoring overnight and he'll arrive a little earlier. Otherwise, he'll be here at 35+6 so only 1 month early which is further than they thought they'd get me at least!
Repeat scan yesterday showed the same concerns with fluid level and flow through the cord but the flow hadn't deteriorated any further at least! Will be nice to have him out and not need to worry about my placenta failing him anymore!
that was me responding above btw as anonymous #25... just forgot to untick the box!
Original post by Anonymous
I was booked for 'elective' section today... unfortunately due to number of emergencies and him needing a neonatal bed available, it's been postponed :frown: First (and only one) on the list for tomorrow now - though any concerns with my monitoring overnight and he'll arrive a little earlier. Otherwise, he'll be here at 35+6 so only 1 month early which is further than they thought they'd get me at least!
Repeat scan yesterday showed the same concerns with fluid level and flow through the cord but the flow hadn't deteriorated any further at least! Will be nice to have him out and not need to worry about my placenta failing him anymore!

I hope all goes well tomorrow and that the stay with scbu is as brief as possible. Will be thinking of you. My one tip is remember to take it easy post c-section I overdid it and regretted it!
Original post by Anonymous
I took the boots test and it's negative. I don't really know what to think anymore.

Try one more time with a home pregnancy test, make sure you follow the instructions to the letter and read at the specified time (set an alarm). False negatives are far more common than false positives so if it was negative this time but you were positive before, I'd be inclined to think the negative might be wrong and do another test. Also I'd do it with the first wee of the day where any hormones that may be there will be at their highest as that should make it easier to be picked up by a pregnancy test.

What test did you use last time and have you missed your period yet? The boots ones I believe were only good for when the period is missed, but some you can do days before your period is missed. So perhaps it was too early for the boots one to pick up.

If you're still not sure after another test, maybe you could get a blood test
Original post by Hygeia
that was me responding above btw as anonymous #25... just forgot to untick the box!

Ooo really hope it goes well tomorrow! :smile:
No neonatal beds... Not looking like this is going to happen this week now unless the monitoring shows he's in trouble... So fed up :frown: and worried, things aren't right in there and he needs to come out otherwise they wouldn't have booked the section in the first place but really starting to worry that I'm not going to end up having a baby to take home with me because it'll be left too late :frown:
Original post by Sazzy890
Try one more time with a home pregnancy test, make sure you follow the instructions to the letter and read at the specified time (set an alarm). False negatives are far more common than false positives so if it was negative this time but you were positive before, I'd be inclined to think the negative might be wrong and do another test. Also I'd do it with the first wee of the day where any hormones that may be there will be at their highest as that should make it easier to be picked up by a pregnancy test.

What test did you use last time and have you missed your period yet? The boots ones I believe were only good for when the period is missed, but some you can do days before your period is missed. So perhaps it was too early for the boots one to pick up.

If you're still not sure after another test, maybe you could get a blood test

My other half thinks the boots test was faulty because it had a shadowy line thing. My period is all over the place because of PCOs so I don't know if I've missed it. I've been cramping like mad for few days so I've been trying to get a doctor's appointment but no luck getting through. The last test was them Internet cheap things that was supposedly sensitive.
Original post by Hygeia
No neonatal beds... Not looking like this is going to happen this week now unless the monitoring shows he's in trouble... So fed up :frown: and worried, things aren't right in there and he needs to come out otherwise they wouldn't have booked the section in the first place but really starting to worry that I'm not going to end up having a baby to take home with me because it'll be left too late :frown:

Sorry this is dragging out so much, must be really stressful! Could you ask about a transfer to somewhere else which has neonatal beds? I know it wouldn't be ideal, but asking might push them into making some decisions, and you could make your concerns very explicit to them (time to play the doctor card?) Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helenia
Sorry this is dragging out so much, must be really stressful! Could you ask about a transfer to somewhere else which has neonatal beds? I know it wouldn't be ideal, but asking might push them into making some decisions, and you could make your concerns very explicit to them (time to play the doctor card?) Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're contacting the nearest 2 SCBUs to see if they can take me (they suggested this after hearing from NICU about lack of space), otherwise NICU team here are saying they think they might have space on Sunday so they're going to try every day over the weekend as it's not a truly elective section! They're going to do a scan again this afternoon as if that's deteriorated they won't have a choice but to find space for him! They are trying to get him out ASAP rather than saying delay til Monday which is the best they can do, just making things very stressful for me!
Original post by Hygeia

Oh no. Hope that they manage to sort something out soon.
Original post by randdom
Oh no. Hope that they manage to sort something out soon.

Thankyou. Scan hasn't deteriorated enough to need urgent action but apparently everything is looking fairly optimistic for Sunday morning... we'll see though :frown: Losing confidence tbh!
No space at either of the other local SCBUs so transfer not going to happen to expedite things either.
Original post by Hygeia

Oh Hygeia, that's so crap. Really sorry for you :frown: I would make very clear that your mother instinct is telling you something's not right and this baby needs to come out, not Sunday, not Monday, not Tuesday but very soon and make these feelings very clear. Don't suffer in silence my lovely... I think sometimes it takes having a go to get things moving!
Original post by Sazzy890
Oh Hygeia, that's so crap. Really sorry for you :frown: I would make very clear that your mother instinct is telling you something's not right and this baby needs to come out, not Sunday, not Monday, not Tuesday but very soon and make these feelings very clear. Don't suffer in silence my lovely... I think sometimes it takes having a go to get things moving!

They've said they're going to try for a transfer again tomorrow and if not then will go with 'elective' section on Sunday morning. They have emphasised that any problems before then, they will do it as an emergency and SCBU will be able to find space for him in that case, it's just while it's classed as 'elective' that they can't go ahead. They've increased how frequently they're monitoring me again so hopefully will pick anything up through that if he needs to be delivered urgently. It's difficult to say too much to them though when I can see they are really trying to get things sorted for me, it's just logistics that are getting in the way.

Definitely think this boy is going to be an only child!!!! Could not go through this again.
Original post by Hygeia
They've said they're going to try for a transfer again tomorrow and if not then will go with 'elective' section on Sunday morning. They have emphasised that any problems before then, they will do it as an emergency and SCBU will be able to find space for him in that case, it's just while it's classed as 'elective' that they can't go ahead. They've increased how frequently they're monitoring me again so hopefully will pick anything up through that if he needs to be delivered urgently. It's difficult to say too much to them though when I can see they are really trying to get things sorted for me, it's just logistics that are getting in the way.

Definitely think this boy is going to be an only child!!!! Could not go through this again.

It does sound very difficult and stressful. I really hope all goes well and that you deliver tomorrow! In the meantime I am glad they are monitoring frequently, hopefully that can put your mind at ease a little.
they won't let anythng happen to you or your boy! sending lots of luck xxxx
oh and i agree with randdom, don't over do it.. I also regretted it
image.jpg
He's here! Born at 36wks exactly, weighing 4lb 11oz. Needs an NG tube for feeding at the moment and in an incubator to help control his temperature but able to stay next to me rather than needing to be in special care at the moment :smile:
Original post by Hygeia
image.jpg
He's here! Born at 36wks exactly, weighing 4lb 11oz. Needs an NG tube for feeding at the moment and in an incubator to help control his temperature but able to stay next to me rather than needing to be in special care at the moment :smile:

Yay! You must be so relieved! Does he have a name yet?
Original post by Hygeia
image.jpg

Fantastic, congratulations and well done! :smile: What a beautiful boy too :smile:
Original post by Hygeia
image.jpg

I am so glad that he is with you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest