The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Beautiful, congratulations.
welcome to our newest member - NOBODY MOVE!
sooo.....did everybody have a good Easter?

Can we get a bit of life back into this group? Pwease? *flutters eyelashes*

How are all the kiddies doing? Mine are okay - slight colds but nothing major. Still working their way through easter eggs lol.

We went to the cinema on Saturday to see that Pirates Adventure with Scientists film. It was Jason's first time in the cinema, and he did fantastically. Lydia was more awkward than he was actually, sliding down her chair and fidgeting. Jason sat lovely, nice and quiet, ate his sweets and watched the film marvellously!
Sounds great PMP! Ours are OK at the cinema as long as we pick an appropriate film, when we went to see Tintin it just went over their heads so cue the fidgeting and endless toilet trips! If you go a lot you should go to the early morning showings for really cheap, Odeon is £2.75 for kids with adults free near us!

We had a lovely Easter, I'm currently struggling on with a 3000 word assignment due in for Monday, not enjoying it! :frown: Then I'm on placement in a Y1 class for 8 weeks after Easter, also applying for jobs and whatnot. Hopefully get something for Sept.

How are things with you? Anymore trips to the rock club?
Original post by balloon_parade
Sounds great PMP! Ours are OK at the cinema as long as we pick an appropriate film, when we went to see Tintin it just went over their heads so cue the fidgeting and endless toilet trips! If you go a lot you should go to the early morning showings for really cheap, Odeon is £2.75 for kids with adults free near us!

We had a lovely Easter, I'm currently struggling on with a 3000 word assignment due in for Monday, not enjoying it! :frown: Then I'm on placement in a Y1 class for 8 weeks after Easter, also applying for jobs and whatnot. Hopefully get something for Sept.

How are things with you? Anymore trips to the rock club?

aye well the idea was that we rushed like maniacs to get to the cinema for 10.15am whereby we would have got in for £5 (a pound each) to see Hop. But when we got there, we found that the Kids AM films were fully booked....
....cue crying upset children.
So we bought tickets to see Pirates instead, which cost a rather depressing £29!

I've bought tickets online for this saturday for us all to see Hop as it is on again. £4.50 (10% discount by buying online). I'm not going to leave it to fate this time lol - I went the pre-book route!

Aye I can imagine that your kids must have fidgeted through TinTin. Phil and I went to see it (without the kids), and I think ours would have been a bit bored with it as well.

I'm glad you had a nice Easter. Ouch at the assignment though - just keep plodding on with it.

Aye we've been out clubbing a few times - we go to Derby now, a place rather aptly called Mosh :biggrin:. We're going again next Friday, and then we have planned to go 22nd June, and 24th August. Gonna see about going in Nov for Phil's birthday, and Dec for my birthday as well. You only live once after all!
Do you get out much yourself?
Okay guys.....I'm throwing this out to the group.

We get very little foot traffic in here these days. It has been suggested by a mod that perhaps we would get more joy if we relocated our society to the Sexual Health section of the board - with the idea that perhaps newly pregnant people might find us there and pop in.

What do you all reckon?

I'm up for giving it a go myself as it has been very quiet in here of late.
Reply 806
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Okay guys.....I'm throwing this out to the group.

We get very little foot traffic in here these days. It has been suggested by a mod that perhaps we would get more joy if we relocated our society to the Sexual Health section of the board - with the idea that perhaps newly pregnant people might find us there and pop in.

What do you all reckon?

I'm up for giving it a go myself as it has been very quiet in here of late.

Doubt it'd make a difference.

Perhaps it should be made a sticky in the Sexual Health section?
Reply 807

Aye we've been out clubbing a few times - we go to Derby now, a place rather aptly called Mosh :biggrin:. We're going again next Friday, and then we have planned to go 22nd June, and 24th August. Gonna see about going in Nov for Phil's birthday, and Dec for my birthday as well. You only live once after all!
Do you get out much yourself?

A big mosh pit? :biggrin: I didn't think those were still in these days :smile:
Reply 808
sooo.....did everybody have a good Easter?

Can we get a bit of life back into this group? Pwease? *flutters eyelashes*

How are all the kiddies doing? Mine are okay - slight colds but nothing major. Still working their way through easter eggs lol.

We went to the cinema on Saturday to see that Pirates Adventure with Scientists film. It was Jason's first time in the cinema, and he did fantastically. Lydia was more awkward than he was actually, sliding down her chair and fidgeting. Jason sat lovely, nice and quiet, ate his sweets and watched the film marvellously!

Easter was fine, didn't do a lot as I needed a break and was originally planning on going to Durham but decided to cancel it due to the risk of the fuel tanker driver strikes. Plus wasn't quite ready yet to bring Emilie to see her mother. My gf and her emptied out a bunch of eggshells and filled them out with chocolates, creme caramels and jello, they then sat down and decorated them all day saturday while I lazed about. Sunday they sold those easter eggs to raise funds for church.

Emilie is doing great here, she is getting used to her life here and for the most part doesn't seem to miss anything or anyone from Britain other than her mother and chicken nuggets. She enjoys her play-group here especially every Wednesdays when it is a trip day where they are brought out to various places. She gets on well with my gf, most of the time at least. Still not told her what had happened to her mother yet and in reality have no idea how to tell it to her.....so been putting it off. Oh yeah next project in the house is my gf and her will sit down to redecorate her bedroom, we haven't had the chance to do it up yet, but they will do it up.

Matthias is well, he is now on solid foods and getting to be rather mobile and picks up anything and everything that's on the floor. His favourite is paper which he would start ripping to pieces straight away. He now lives with us as before he was with my parents, now they have decided to move to a smallish flat in the city centre, so there isn't enough room for him. Ears, hair and tails are what he thinks is for pulling, when you carry him his hands will go for your ears or hair especially in my dad's case chest hair... LOL if he gets his hands there he will start pulling and looking at you. Our St Bernard is also who he likes to play with.... if the dog comes near him then it is either the ears or tail that gets pulled or else he will lay his head on the dog's back. He is now on solid foods and cereal diet.
New here. Not ready to post without anon yet, as a few friends of mine use this site and I'm keeping my pregnancy under wraps for now! I'm 7 weeks pregnant, due on the 10th December. :smile: Will be 20 when LO arrives! xx
sounds like you had a good Easter Herr :smile:

Welcome to our newest member - who I assume is anon posting here /\. My lips are sealed don't worry :smile:

Lydia is acting like a hormonal teenager lately - god knows what's up with her. She's so weepy all the time, and says that everybody shouts at her all the time (so not true), and that nobody likes her - and by this she means nobody at school nor within her family. It's so odd. I know she hasn't got many friends in school really, but she is seeming worse than ever at the moment. She actually kicked my mother-in-law the other day simply because she was having a tantrum that her skipping rope kept catching so she couldn't skip properly. Yes KICKED her nana. And she kicked my husband last week when he was brushing her hair because she didn't like the fact that the brush was pulling on her knots.
I can't understand what's going on with her.
Lydia is acting like a hormonal teenager lately - god knows what's up with her. She's so weepy all the time, and says that everybody shouts at her all the time (so not true), and that nobody likes her - and by this she means nobody at school nor within her family. It's so odd. I know she hasn't got many friends in school really, but she is seeming worse than ever at the moment. She actually kicked my mother-in-law the other day simply because she was having a tantrum that her skipping rope kept catching so she couldn't skip properly. Yes KICKED her nana. And she kicked my husband last week when he was brushing her hair because she didn't like the fact that the brush was pulling on her knots.

How old is Lydia? I only ask because I was like that at 9 but didnt kick at my nan or dad but was a horomonal bitch and slammed doors and screamed and shouted. Maybe shes jealous with popular kids at school.

Maybe shes trying to be more independent at home and wanting to do stuff for herself. I properly lashed out more as I had problems at school as well.

Welcome to our newest member - who I assume is anon posting here /\. My lips are sealed don't worry :smile:

I think there's a kind of pre-puberty stage where you begin to have the hormones creeping in and it makes you moody, I know around 8/9 I was pretty horrible even though I didn't really start puberty until I was 11. I used to scream the house down when having my hair brushed, it turns out because I'm dyspraxic I'm actually quite sensitive to pain, even now I brush my hair very, very carefully. You could try using a detangling spray, it could at least have a placebo effect.

With the school thing, kids can be mean, it might be worth asking her teacher if she's noticed anything going on with her.
Anyone know what happened to dita_parlo? Last I heard she was TTC. I'd love to hear now that she is pregnant *keeping fingers crossed*
Reply 814

To be honest, it sounds like her hormones are kicking in even though she is still really young.I remember being a right little cow at around the ages of 8/9, began puberty around 11 or 12.Hope it settles soon though.

Welcome to Anon, look forward to reading your posts :smile:.

Nothing new happening with me.My kids just keep getting bigger and bigger and more capable of looking after themselves which, if I'm honest, I am rather happy with.Means I get more "me" time which is always good.
She's only 6 and a half. I would have thought she was too young for pre-teen hormones? Eugh she's being so difficult!
Perhaps go and see the teacher PMP? See what's going on at school? Sounds like something is upsetting her doesn't it. Perhaps some Mum and daughter time might help? xx
Original post by balloon_parade
Perhaps go and see the teacher PMP? See what's going on at school? Sounds like something is upsetting her doesn't it. Perhaps some Mum and daughter time might help? xx

I did bring it up with her teacher a couple of weeks ago and her teacher didn't really have a clue. She said that Lydia is polite and fine at school. I mentioned that Lydia has said that she doesn't really get on with a few of the girls in her class (I named names) and the teacher was just surprised and said she hadn't noticed.
So I don't think she's particularly observant tbh.

I took her out last weekend for a day to meadowhall, just me and her, and she liked that - we had a nice day out, she was well behaved etc. but it doesn't seem to have helped with her attitude the rest of the time though.

She had another meltdown this afternoon because Alex and Chloe (a neighbour - little girl, 6 weeks older than Alex), had been waving dandelions at Lydia. I asked her what on earth she was wailing at.....the response was that she is scared of dandelions.
SCARED of dandelions? WTF?

I tried to talk to her calmly about it but she just got upset and said they are scary when they're "closed up".

Cue Alex and Chloe running after her again giggling with the dandelions, so she tore away from me and ran across the road to get away from them, right as a car was coming.
I really told her off at that point. She knows better than to run across a road without looking. Okay we live in a really quiet cul-de-sac, and the car was literally just setting off, so maybe doing about 2-3mph, but that's not the point.
Then she just started wailing again that dandelions are scary.

I told Alex and Chloe to stop teasing her with the dandelions as they could see she didn't like it, but inside I'm thinking "wtf is going on? Since when has she developed irrational fears of dandelions?"
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 818

It wasn't a bad one.. wished I had gone for the break in UK as was hoping to do some shopping..... but will try and reschedule that trip.

As for your LO..... she does sound a bit like my ex's niece who is about the same age as yours'.... the change happened almost overnight.... it took awhile to figure out what was the reason, but it came down to the fact that she was upset that at school she was being excluded by the popular kids and there was a certain element on bullying that was going on, was somewhat difficult to get to the bottom off as even at that age kids have pride and won't speak openly about such things to anyone......mammy included. Try getting the info by some indirect questions instead of asking the LO a direct question as to what is going on.
I....

Sounds like something is going on in school really then? Maybe push it a bit more with the teachers? If they aren't being observant then make them, usually stuff like that happens at break/lunch so she needs to liaise with the lunchtime supervision too.

How has she been this week?

xx

Quick Reply

Latest