The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

welcome to our newest member rebeccajane17 :smile:

Well Lydia seems to have calmed down a BIT though she's still getting overly stressed at the littlest things, that you would think didn't require so much frustration. I'm keeping an eye on her. I've had another word with her teacher but she still says she hasn't noticed anything but she'll observe, so she says.

I'm in the middle of making a big papier mache tree for Lydia's show-and-tell (which was meant to be tomorrow, but as the kids are having the day off school tomorrow as its being used as a polling booth, her show-and-tell is now on Tuesday). Honestly, the things we do for kids! She can paint it once the papier mache is dry - I refuse to do it all!!

It's a show-and-tell about her a book she has read recently, so Lydia has picked the Faraway Tree trilogy (Enid Blyton books)...hence the big tree lol. I'm glad the show-and-tell has been extended to Tuesday, there's no way I'd have we'd done in time for tomorrow haha.

Jason has a bit of a cold and he's like a bear with a sore head. Moaning and groaning. He's usually lovely and cheerful, but when he's feeling a bit poorly he turns into demon-child!

We took them to a kids showing of the Smurfs at the cinema on Saturday which was pleasant. Lydia had already been with school just before Christmas, but she was happy enough to see it again. I really want to take them all to see Beauty and the Beast next week (because I love seeing Disney films at the cinema haha), but they've already seen it before and don't want to go. Is it really sad that I might just drag Phil to the cinema one day when they're at their nana's and we'll go on our own? lol

How is everybody doing? How are all the kids and expectant mums?
Reply 821
Just to let you all know. After some discussion in here and between PMP and myself we are going to try this thread in sexual health and see what happens :smile:

So I have just moved it accross, there is a redirect so anyone looking for it who isn't subscribed to it will be able to find it ove the next month.

Randdom
(Life advice supermod)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

Oh emm geeee! I used to love the Faraway Tree, I think Saucepan and Moonface were my favourite characters! :smile: Good luck to her for the show and tell, you're much better than me at all that stuff.

On the Beauty and the Beast note, I think I could think of a few things I'd rather do with my DH if we were kid-free than that, ha ha! :wink:

---

I've managed to get myself a summer job for when I finish my PGCE! (Running a special needs holiday club) Phew, will tie me over until I can secure a teaching job or supply. I feel so relieved!

Hope all is well, I know Dream Catcher has had her baby! :smile: There were a few other preggo ladies, where have you all gone?? I feel like I don't have any babies any more so I'm glad this is pregnancy AND parenting! :tongue:
Original post by balloon_parade
Oh emm geeee! I used to love the Faraway Tree, I think Saucepan and Moonface were my favourite characters! :smile: Good luck to her for the show and tell, you're much better than me at all that stuff.

On the Beauty and the Beast note, I think I could think of a few things I'd rather do with my DH if we were kid-free than that, ha ha! :wink:

---

I've managed to get myself a summer job for when I finish my PGCE! (Running a special needs holiday club) Phew, will tie me over until I can secure a teaching job or supply. I feel so relieved!

Hope all is well, I know Dream Catcher has had her baby! :smile: There were a few other preggo ladies, where have you all gone?? I feel like I don't have any babies any more so I'm glad this is pregnancy AND parenting! :tongue:

I can't take too much credit for this faraway tree - Phil is doing most of it lol.
This is what has been done so far :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/404982_168495516610618_100003505123718_234185_290537383_n.jpg

yay well done for the summer job, that's fab!

yay for DC! congrats to her!

I know what you mean, nobody seems to be around much any more.
Original post by randdom
Just to let you all know. After some discussion in here and between PMP and myself we are going to try this thread in sexual health and see what happens :smile:

You're the supermod and I have only read the last page, but... 'Why here?'
Original post by unprinted

A lot of girls wander into sexual health and make "I think I might be pregnant" threads. We thought that it might therefore be wise to put this thread in here, so that any girls who suspect they might be pregnant (or indeed, who have discovered that they are pregnant) can come here if they want any advice.
Reply 826
Original post by unprinted

A lot of girls wander into sexual health and make "I think I might be pregnant" threads. We thought that it might therefore be wise to put this thread in here, so that any girls who suspect they might be pregnant (or indeed, who have discovered that they are pregnant) can come here if they want any advice.

:ditto:

Basically this.

Finding out that you are pregnant when not planned can sometimes (though obviously not always) be a very difficult time for people. Having the P&P society here means that there is somewhere for people to ask questions of people who have been through pregnancy and are raising their children. It gives them the chance to get advice and information to help them make their decisions. It can also be a source of support and community for people during their pregnancies. Before the H&R restructure this thread was in sexual health and it did get a fair number of posts of this sort.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer :smile:
The reality of having a baby can certainly put people off having sex... :smile:
Is anyone here a single parent? xx
Reply 829
Hey, this probably isn't the best place to ask this, but I wasn't really sure where else to ask! I have unconditional offers for Warwick and Birmingham, but i'm also expecting a baby at the end of August. Still planning on going to university, thanks to my partner offering to take over childcare during the times I'll be at university/have assignments, but I was wondering what I should tell the university with regards to my having a child and whether I should tell them at all?
Original post by Scarly
Hey, this probably isn't the best place to ask this, but I wasn't really sure where else to ask! I have unconditional offers for Warwick and Birmingham, but i'm also expecting a baby at the end of August. Still planning on going to university, thanks to my partner offering to take over childcare during the times I'll be at university/have assignments, but I was wondering what I should tell the university with regards to my having a child and whether I should tell them at all?

Yes you should, you'll be entitled to a parent and carers' grant and also your childcare (should you wish to use it) will be part funded! I'd perhaps ring them to see what you are entitled to and then contact the student loans company to update information. Other than that it shouldn't matter if you have a child or not- unless the start date is less than 4 weeks after having your baby as you'd be entitled to have that off to recover x

Not too long to go now! Do you know what you're having? x
Original post by Anonymous

I'm not sure if there are any single parents here actually though maybe some are and they're just not very chatty?
welcome to our newest member episkopos x
Reply 833
Original post by balloon_parade
Yes you should, you'll be entitled to a parent and carers' grant and also your childcare (should you wish to use it) will be part funded! I'd perhaps ring them to see what you are entitled to and then contact the student loans company to update information. Other than that it shouldn't matter if you have a child or not- unless the start date is less than 4 weeks after having your baby as you'd be entitled to have that off to recover x

Not too long to go now! Do you know what you're having? x

Thanks for your advice! I'll get onto them asap :smile: I know, it's so soon now. Can't get my head round the idea I'll have a baby in 16 weeks! We're having a little girl. Can't wait :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

I'm not yet but am single and 14 weeks pregnant atm so it seems inevitable that I will be in the not so distant future! :smile:
Original post by tappyfeet92
I'm not yet but am single and 14 weeks pregnant atm so it seems inevitable that I will be in the not so distant future! :smile:

I'll PM you if that's alright? :smile: xx
Reply 836
Sorry i haven't posted in ages, have had so much uni work!

back home our family friend had her twins, a boy and a girl which she wanted, as she already has a little girl and thought it would be nice for her to have a girl and then the twins will have a connection anyway. They were induced as she got to 37 weeks and was so uncomfortable, they are sooo teeny but didn't need an incubator and were allowed home after a couple of days. The mum is amazing, she looks incredible!

And my soon to be step-sister had a girl called Amber less than a week ago, she is sooo long! She hasn't been too well, but the baby is fine and she's at home now :smile:
congrats to your family friend, and your soon-to-be step-sister, alexa :smile:

Well the faraway tree is finished. Team effort I should say, though Phil did the bulk I must admit. If they don't appreciate this in school for Lydia's show and tell tomorrow....well.....they'd bloody better do lol

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/154738_170524206407749_100003505123718_239587_1489856417_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/319862_170524246407745_100003505123718_239588_2012616338_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/536587_170524283074408_100003505123718_239589_1256325784_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/538707_170524409741062_100003505123718_239592_961535441_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/561360_170524506407719_100003505123718_239593_840949249_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/522188_170524579741045_100003505123718_239594_1889071361_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/576706_170524613074375_100003505123718_239595_739647344_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/577779_170524683074368_100003505123718_239596_1077799655_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/578171_170524723074364_100003505123718_239597_2022196169_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/540248_170524779741025_100003505123718_239598_821565736_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/545183_170524836407686_100003505123718_239599_198972463_n.jpg
Reply 838

How is everybody doing? How are all the kids and expectant mums?

How's things going for you? Started looking for jobs in Canada yet? :smile: Lydia doing better these days I take it? Did you manage to get to the root of the issue that was triggering it?

I am okay, rather tired as lots of work of late, my little team at work who were originally set up to expand the business in Asia is having to help out others in the bank who are dealing with an influx of new clients from France, Greece and UK. Can barely cope so all arrangements of working lesser hours or from home is temporarily suspended for 4 weeks. It's been a nightmare as I have to stay at office till 7 or 8 everyday and on top of that be up at 3 or 4 in the morning to deal with my clients who are based in Asia. Oh well, if only I didn't need the money.

Emilie has developed a fear of going near airports, if we are driving on a motorway and she sees the sign pointing towards an airport she will start asking why we have to go near that airport and ask if we could go using a different route...... same goes if we get on the train from our house to go to the city it passes through the station for the airport and she gets all nervous and jittery when the train stops at the airport station. Yesterday we were sending my OH's mum to the airport and goodness she started throwing tantrums and screamed her lungs out that she didn't want to go into the airport..... can't seem to figure out what's gotten into her.

Last Friday my OH took Emilie to watch a sing-along version of the show Sound of Music, the OH dressed up as the governess (Maria) while Emilie had on one of the costumes of the little girl (Gretl), they had a good time wish I had gone as that used to be my favourite show when I was younger but my OH was taking her students as it was one of their class activity. Now she is wondering which way is it to walk to Salzburg since we are already in Switzerland. Anyway they will be going to Salzburg this Friday, my OH is taking her students and will bring Emilie along so it should be fun as I told her to take her students for this Sound of Music tour where they get to see all the sites in Salzburg where the show was filmed at.

Speaking of my OH.....uhhh I think she is feeling rather broody from spending time with both the LOs, She is slowly changing her mind of not wanting kids of her own to actually wanting 2 of her own. Urghhh I'll have to tell her to stop dreaming as I don't have money to pay for 2 more :tongue:

The ex is again asking to see the kids and also for Emilie to spend time with the ex's mum, I haven't quite decided whether or not to allow it to happen, investigating the possibility of that visit taking place at a contact centre where the visits are supervised.

Matthias now calls everything and everyone mama or ball ball. Ball because his favourite toy is one softtoy ball that makes some ringing noise. Mama... that one depends on who you ask, my mum thinks it is because he is calling her as the Chinese word used to call a paternal grandmother is "maa maa" while my OH calls her mum "mama" and since he spends a lot of time with both of them, it isn't surprising I suppose.
One of my younger brother's friends has just found out she's pregnant. She's 15 and, bizarrely, it isn't the first time. She had an abortion when she was 13 and is planning to abort this baby too.

I understand that people can get caught out with contraception, but to do it TWICE at an age where you shouldn't be having sex is awful.

I can't conceive. I've been trying for a year now and there's this girl who's 15 and already has two abortions to her name. I shouldn't be getting myself so worked up about this, but why is she allowed to get pregnant and not me?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest