The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
It's WEIRD, it's like an acid trip for toddlers! It's creepy and just......EUGH *shudders* lol

Most are. Have you seen Waybuloo?
Original post by Tufts
Most are. Have you seen Waybuloo?

I actually don't mind Waybuloo - it has kiddy yoga in it and it's quite chilled out. It's zen for kids. Bit better than acid :tongue:
Ahh, in INTG is cute! I like it, it was created by child psychologists so they must know something about how to keep children entertained, both Bella and Milly absolutely loved it! Waybaloo is also cute, Milly has started to do the exercises its hilarious. Peppa pig is the ultimate favourite in our house!

I had a bit of a question for you, when should a baby bear weight on their legs? I have a friend who has a 9 month old boy who doesn't bear weight, he jumps in a jumperoo but not if you hold him stood up (if you know what I mean) he can also just about sit up (although can't get into sitting position independently.) and is almost starting to crawl. I just found it a bit strange because it was a matter of weeks before my two started to bear weight. There isn't an issue is there? Thoughts? (p.s I haven't said anything to her and probably won't!)
honestly I can't remember when babies start to bear weight. hmm. I do remember that Jason, for ages, if you held him up he just didn't want to cooperate at all and would just let his legs buckle.
Reply 124
Opinions on Teletubbies? (sp?) I was too old for it anyway but my parents refused to let my sister watch it, being afraid it would result in speech impairment. Ridiculous show imo.
Original post by Zenobia
Opinions on Teletubbies? (sp?) I was too old for it anyway but my parents refused to let my sister watch it, being afraid it would result in speech impairment. Ridiculous show imo.

Hate it as much as I hate ITNG.
Reply 126
Original post by Zenobia

Definitely something despicable.... ranks the same as Dr Seuss and Barney.....ick.
Reply 127
My eldest son ( now almost 15 yrs) hated the Teletubbies when they first came out and used to hide behind the sofa when they were on the TV.Eventually he liked them and my youngest son also liked them.I preferred the Tweenies myself!.I'm so glad that my days of watching CeeBeebies are well and truly over :biggrin: :biggrin:.Most of the programmes on that channel used to send me to sleep.......lol.The hours I was forced to watch Playdays, teletubbies and whatever rubbish was on there.........
I quite like 'Gruesome tales for Grizzly Kids' narrated by David Jason and Scooby Doo, definitely the best things Bella watches! And Numberjacks and Peppa Pig are probably the best things Milly watches.

I used to love Playdays Liz! :biggrin:
Reply 129
Original post by balloon_parade
Ahh, in INTG is cute! I like it, it was created by child psychologists so they must know something about how to keep children entertained, both Bella and Milly absolutely loved it! Waybaloo is also cute, Milly has started to do the exercises its hilarious. Peppa pig is the ultimate favourite in our house!

I had a bit of a question for you, when should a baby bear weight on their legs? I have a friend who has a 9 month old boy who doesn't bear weight, he jumps in a jumperoo but not if you hold him stood up (if you know what I mean) he can also just about sit up (although can't get into sitting position independently.) and is almost starting to crawl. I just found it a bit strange because it was a matter of weeks before my two started to bear weight. There isn't an issue is there? Thoughts? (p.s I haven't said anything to her and probably won't!)

He sounds pretty much within the normal range.
Original post by balloon_parade

Ella couldnt sit up without support by then and didnt crawl until she was 12 months and walked at just before 2 but she has hearing loss, perhaps it is worth checking his hearing?
Ella loved ITNG-shes crazy about it, carries her talking iggle piggle and upsy daisy everywhere, also loves mickey mouse clubhouse dances crazily to it!
Ok so I have a question for all you mothers/prospective mothers

I'm 20, been in a serious relationship for 2 and a half years and got engaged on new years eve.

he's 20 years older than me, and hes obviously ready for children and I think I might be.

I know that I could cope financially if I had a baby but I'm undecided about the emotional side of things. I'd like to finish university before I have a baby but I still can't decide whether 21 is still 'too young'
I know for a fact my grandma would go mental at me, but I hear that they may react badly with the initial shock but things tend to change when the baby arrives.

Any thoughts/experiences of young pregnancy to share with me? (and by young I don't so much mean 12 I mean 18-21)

Original post by an_end_has_a_start
Any thoughts/experiences of young pregnancy to share with me? (and by young I don't so much mean 12 I mean 18-21)

I was 23 when I had my son. Everyone in my family was shocked as I was supposedly "so young".

I think its hard to be a first time mum at any age. There are some advantages/disadvantages at certain ages though, but if you are ready to settle down then I say go for it.
Original post by h82think
I was 23 when I had my son. Everyone in my family was shocked as I was supposedly "so young".

I think its hard to be a first time mum at any age. There are some advantages/disadvantages at certain ages though, but if you are ready to settle down then I say go for it.

to me, 23 is not young to have a kid, i dunno i just have this 'ism' against having a child before the age of 22 i dunno why!! think its just something thats been drilled into me from a young age!
HerRoyalHighness

lla couldnt sit up without support by then and didnt crawl until she was 12 months and walked at just before 2 but she has hearing loss, perhaps it is worth checking his hearing?
Ella loved ITNG-shes crazy about it, carries her talking iggle piggle and upsy daisy everywhere, also loves mickey mouse clubhouse dances crazily to it!

I would never say anything to her because there probably isn't really a problem! I just wasn't taking the range of development into account. :smile:

I didn't realise Ella had hearing loss, does that effect her balance and such?

She sounds like a loon! I love it when children get really excited about stuff, it's so cute!

I'm 20, been in a serious relationship for 2 and a half years and got engaged on new years eve.

he's 20 years older than me, and hes obviously ready for children and I think I might be.

I know that I could cope financially if I had a baby but I'm undecided about the emotional side of things. I'd like to finish university before I have a baby but I still can't decide whether 21 is still 'too young'
I know for a fact my grandma would go mental at me, but I hear that they may react badly with the initial shock but things tend to change when the baby arrives.

You should just do what is right for you, it is probably a good idea to finish university before having a baby as then you can just go straight into a career when the baby is old enough. But that's just logistics really, I think completing a degree with a baby is definitely manageable (having done it myself) - it's just a case of being more organised.

Nobody is 'ready' for a baby, regardless of age. Nobody. It's hard to have a real idea of what it is really like until you have your own- good things and bad. I currently work with mothers of all ages and this seems to be one thing that every new mum can relate to.

I say just do what you want! Who gives a stuff what other people think, you're ready, your fiancé is ready and most importantly you are financially secure. Don't let what other people might think hold you back from anything you want to do. :smile:

My mother was 22 when she had me. A lot thought she was rather young to have a baby me then :tongue: Largely because the expectation was for her to have her career first.

My wife was a few months past her 17th birthday when she had a baby due to some unfortunate circumstances. It was a learning curve for her because she had to do it all on her own.

Your fiancé at 40 am guessing should be ready financially at least for a baby, but emotionally I doubt any guy is ever ready until the first one comes along. You said you could afford it financially, is that taking into account him supporting you or you have your own financial resources for a baby?

I'm 34 this year, even with a fairly good job and all I still don't feel ready for kids but a 2nd one will be here come September. My wife is 21 now, she decided to stop uni after she completes her last paper this summer. Not really because of the arrival of a baby but more because she doesn't think her uni education would bring her anywhere... or rather she always tells me she doesn't want to become as shallow as me :tongue:

Age wise, it's hard to say whether you are too young or not, when I see my wife even when we first met I thought she was more than capable, but I know women in their 30s who can't spend a day at home with baby without the aupair :biggrin:

Career wise, it depends on what type of work you intend to do..... either way it's unlikely that the having a baby at a young age would exclude you from the vast majority of careers bar some of the most elitist careers.

The other thing to consider is your bloke at 40, it isn't really the best of age to start a family especially if you are wanting more than 1.

I was 21 when I had my daughter, 23 when I had my first son, and 25 when I had my second son.
I handled becoming a mother at 21 fine.

You definitely have a dilemma there -

on the one hand, if we were just considering you in this, I would have said it would be wise for you to finish uni before planning a family, because it's easier to get that out of the way when you don't have a child to look after.

but on the other hand, your other half is 40, so on that kinda more or less means you should crack on a bit and start your family whilst he's still young enough to enjoy being a father.

thus, taking everything into consideration, if I were in your shoes I'd have a baby now, then do your uni course (or finish it, if you're already started) when your baby is a little older. (So take maybe 1-2 years out of uni, then go back to it).

That's what I personally would do anyway, but it's your life, you need to do what's right for you :smile:

Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Reply 137
Original post by HerRoyalHighness
Ella couldnt sit up without support by then and didnt crawl until she was 12 months and walked at just before 2 but she has hearing loss, perhaps it is worth checking his hearing?

Do you know that iggle piggle has a SERIOUS dose of cammel toe?
Reply 138
Original post by h82think

I think its hard to be a first time mum at any age.
There are some advantages/disadvantages at certain ages though, but if you are ready to settle down then I say go for it.

This is very true.

I would have personally been too immature at 21 to become a mother. But everyone's different. The average age for a UK woman to have her first child is 27.
I was 20 when i found out i was expecting and 21 whn she was born. wasnt planned but i wouldnt say i was too young. id been living independantly from home since 17. depends on how independant you are i think.

Quick Reply

Latest