The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Nope - false negatives are possible (too early, test not sensitive enough etc.) but no real reason why you could get a false positive. So congratulations!

Although your dates sound a bit confusing - if you ovulated 4 weeks ago (seen on a scan) then you'd be 6 weeks along because pregnancies are dated from last period (or adjust to 2 weeks pre ovulation if you have atypical cycle lengths) not ovulation. You could do one of those pregnancy tests with a conception indicator?

Would be important to mention the discharge to your GP and with a history of miscarriage I'd definitely be asking for an early scan around 6-7 weeks.

I am currently 2WW in first proper cycle after my second miscarriage. Impatient! :bawling: & only really have February to try again if no joy before a TTC-break is needed for 6 months or so as a winter 2015/early 2016 baby would be awkward career wise.

oh i thought from my last experience that a woman who is lucky to know the exact date she ovulated she would use that to know how many weeks pregnant she is.But i actually know when i ovulated when they told me on the day of the scan. (would they still not know and use the date i started my period?)
Yes I've booked my self in this Thursday to see my gp. This GP is the one who I've gone to 5-6 times since my miscarriage and my irregular periods since then and also having been diagnosed with pcos last month. (Such a roller coaster) . But is it true the hard part is over? Trying to get pregnant in the first place?
My last pregnancy when I was 7 weeks I tested positive....but to be honest my lines this time are so much darker and it went positive in a split second.
Yes I will mention the slight discharge I had few days ago...I had cramping around that time.

I really hope this sticks. I REALLY DO. Also the timing is great lol. I work as a full time teacher.
Hi guys,

I took 2 tests today and both were dark lines and positive. (Each test was a different brand)! I am in shock. I went to my scan 4 weeks ago which showed I was ovulating. But when I was pregnant last time I didnt get a positive until I was 7 weeks. This makes me about 4 weeks. I tested because I have felt very tired past few days and my breasts have been very sore especially on the weekend when I woke up they were incredibly sore. Having said that a few days ago I had some brown discharge light pink when I wiped but after that nothing.

Could this be a false positive? I made an appointment with my gp day after tomorrow.
This would make me pregnant again after 9 months of trying since my miscarriage.

Sounds to me like you're pregnant. A tentative congratulations are in order?
Hey guys,

I slept from 9pm until 3am. I woke up hot and sweaty with a bit of cramping which went after a minute or two. I was also very hungry like I had an empty stomach. I then went back to sleep from 4am-7am. Since 7am I have been wanting to go back to sleep.

Anyway I am trying to remain positive (I did take a test again in the morning and it was dark and became positive quickly) However....

I wanted to ask this I heard that pcos cysts could secret HCG? But then again I have probably have had hcg for a long time and didn't know but haven't had any false positives.

I am trying to not get my hopes high until the 12 week scan.....and I actually see a baby and I am told it is healthy.
Sorry not HCG i mean had pcos for a maybe long time.

My right nipple is so sensitive at night...its constantly out!! ...I have got some mild back ache at the moment as well.
How to remain positive?
Anon 22 try not to fill your head with scary what-ifs. You'll go crazy worrying and they could easily (and probably are) false worries.

Congratulations on your pregnancy x

I wanted to ask this I heard that pcos cysts could secret HCG? But then again I have probably have had hcg for a long time and didn't know but haven't had any false positives.

I am trying to not get my hopes high until the 12 week scan.....and I actually see a baby and I am told it is healthy.

Nope. HCG is a pregnancy hormone or used in men for some very rare cancers sometimes.
PCOS can give you persistent 'false positives' on ovulation predictor kits though as your Oestrogen/LH are persistently elevated without the surges leading to ovulation.

The optimist says - you're pregnant now - don't worry.
The realist says - you're right - the first 12 weeks are the more perilious times but all you can really do is take it day by day.
The pessimist says - there's no "safe" time in pregnancy and childbirth - things can go wrong unexpectedly at any time. But most people don't have personal or professional experience of that so can be more blissfully optimistic! :tongue:
Nope. HCG is a pregnancy hormone or used in men for some very rare cancers sometimes.
PCOS can give you persistent 'false positives' on ovulation predictor kits though as your Oestrogen/LH are persistently elevated without the surges leading to ovulation.

The optimist says - you're pregnant now - don't worry.
The realist says - you're right - the first 12 weeks are the more perilious times but all you can really do is take it day by day.
The pessimist says - there's no "safe" time in pregnancy and childbirth - things can go wrong unexpectedly at any time. But most people don't have personal or professional experience of that so can be more blissfully optimistic! :tongue:

I'd say I used to be a optimist now a mix of all 3!! If this was my first pregnancy I would be positive but because of what happened last time...it's more of a reality check. Anything could happen. But I am thinking positive. I've got a doctor's appointment in half an hour. Nevervous! I'm taking a sample of urine and I even tested it before I closed the lid LOL.....paranoia.....
I'm retching and it's hard as I teach...at times I might pop behind the cupboard to get a minute :s-smilie:
Well I'm back my gp didn't test my urine saying we will send it off but there is no point if you have tested at home and saying that you have used two different brands lol.
She said to not analyse anything and to just be happy and keep a healthy diet and continue eating folic acid.
Is it normal to be cramping? I had no cramps last time ( I know, i know stop comparing my gp even said). But it comes and goes and sometimes its like I'm going to start my period and sometimes its my stomach and gas.
Is it normal to be cramping? I had no cramps last time ( I know, i know stop comparing my gp even said). But it comes and goes and sometimes its like I'm going to start my period and sometimes its my stomach and gas.

I definitely got cramps on and off throughout most of it, and baby was fine.

Congratulations on your positive test result. I know it is hard to stay positive. I had a miscarriage before Isaac and until I had my scan (at 13+4!!!!) I was convinced that there wasn't going to be a baby there. Try to focus on the fact that "today you are pregnant). I had low cramps in my first trimester, it is really common due to the uterus expanding.

I don't know if you have come across a site called Mumsnet but it might be worth having a look there because they have online antenatal groups for each month of the year. It can be really helpful to chat to women who are at the same stage of pregnancy that you are. Our group migrated to facebook and they are still possibly my biggest source of support and advice seven and a half months on. Something that is worth considering (though don't leave us!)
Original post by randdom
Congratulations on your positive test result. I know it is hard to stay positive. I had a miscarriage before Isaac and until I had my scan (at 13+4!!!!) I was convinced that there wasn't going to be a baby there. Try to focus on the fact that "today you are pregnant). I had low cramps in my first trimester, it is really common due to the uterus expanding.

I don't know if you have come across a site called Mumsnet but it might be worth having a look there because they have online antenatal groups for each month of the year. It can be really helpful to chat to women who are at the same stage of pregnancy that you are. Our group migrated to facebook and they are still possibly my biggest source of support and advice seven and a half months on. Something that is worth considering (though don't leave us!)

Hey, thank you and thanks for the link I had a good look around on the forum. Yeah my cramps are on and off....I woke up today to go tothe toilet andsaw a yellow maybe light pink stain well not stain like discharge the size of a pea maybe smaller. But when I did a wee and wiped it was clean and (YES again I tested just wanted to see if the line was just as strong and it was and it went positive very quick) Trying to remain positive but it's hard. I also think I should stop bbrowsing things or even go on those forums.
I will try and keep my Gps' words in my mind s she was very happy for me :smile:
So, I am 11 DPO today in my first proper cycle since the 2nd miscarriage & decided to test today :facepalm: but got a BFP!!! :eek:

Trying to be optimistic (even though it's not even 4 weeks yet) as 3 miscarriages in a row would be statistically more than just bad luck :bawling: but my first pregnancy did result in a term baby - so there's no reason why this one shouldn't..?! :biggrin:

(Any lurkers who know me IRL - definitely planning on keeping this BFP absolutely quiet until 12 week scan-time if we make it that far...)
So, I am 11 DPO today in my first proper cycle since the 2nd miscarriage & decided to test today :facepalm: but got a BFP!!! :eek:

Trying to be optimistic (even though it's not even 4 weeks yet) as 3 miscarriages in a row would be statistically more than just bad luck :bawling: but my first pregnancy did result in a term baby - so there's no reason why this one shouldn't..?! :biggrin:

(Any lurkers who know me IRL - definitely planning on keeping this BFP absolutely quiet until 12 week scan-time if we make it that far...)

Congratulations!! :smile: that's lovely news. How are you feeling? Is this your 4th time getting pregnant? Did they do any investigations after your 3rd one?
I keep getting worried and think will i make it to 12 weeks? Wish they would scan me early.
My cramps arent as bad.But im getting hungry much more and feeling naseus.but i get nauseus after eating and then have to eat again,ongoing cycle.
Congratulations!! :smile: that's lovely news. How are you feeling? Is this your 4th time getting pregnant? Did they do any investigations after your 3rd one?
I keep getting worried and think will i make it to 12 weeks? Wish they would scan me early.
My cramps arent as bad.But im getting hungry much more and feeling naseus.but i get nauseus after eating and then have to eat again,ongoing cycle.

Thank you. This is my 4th now pregnancy, yes. Quick summary as use of Anon & my actual username on here when I'm not being secretive:

G4 P1+2 - baby born in 2013 (brilliant toddler now!), miscarriage sometime between 9-10 weeks after seeing a heartbeat at 8 weeks & needed ERPC summer 2014, spontaneous natural miscarriage about 6 weeks autumn 2014, now under 4 weeks pregnant again.

So if this one ends if miscarriage it would be a 3rd consecutive & officially "recurrent" so then they'd investigate us. Although had thyroid bloods after the 1st as part of a research study - so know it's not that. I'm thinking I'm a PCOS-y type (although ovulate clearly!) so could be hormonal that way & BMI is wrong end right now, or autoimmune, or something genetic either side or just bad luck - as one went wrong after heartbeat started & the other only ever just a sac - so could be completely different reasons both times...

Will they not scan you early?
EPU here will do a 7 week "reassurance" scan if you've had a previous miscarriage. Or consider a private scan - I had one in my first pregnancy just under 7 weeks which cost about £100 (London prices)?
Hi, i'm new to these forums! I'm a full time student, 28 years old with twin 3 year olds. Anyone else here studying full time? I'm thinking of switching to part time for my final 2 years but it all depends on student funding!
SJ
Thank you. This is my 4th now pregnancy, yes. Quick summary as use of Anon & myusactual username on here when I'm not being secretive:

G4 P1+2 - baby born in 2013 (brilliant toddler now!), miscarriage sometime between 9-10 weeks after seeing a heartbeat at 8 weeks & needed ERPC summer 2014, spontaneous natural miscarriage about 6 weeks autumn 2014, now under 4 weeks pregnant again.

So if this one ends if miscarriage it would be a 3rd consecutive & officially "recurrent" so then they'd investigate us. Although had thyroid bloods after the 1st as part of a research study - so know it's not that. I'm thinking I'm a PCOS-y type (although ovulate clearly!) so could be hormonal that way & BMI is wrong end right now, or autoimmune, or something genetic either side or just bad luck - as one went wrong after heartbeat started & the other only ever just a sac - so could be completely different reasons both times...

Will they not scan you early?
EPU here will do a 7 week "reassurance" scan if you've had a previous miscarriage. Or consider a private scan - I had one in my first pregnancy just under 7 weeks which cost about £100 (London prices)?

My doctor strongly believed it was one of those things and is confident about this one because she said dont compare this is a new pregnancy and your both young and healthy. Then again i believed i wouldnt be able to concieve in the next few months but she said wait it out a bit longer. Such a rollercoaster,4 weeks ago i was told i had pcos.
I think ill just wait till the 12wk scan,i know even if i could do a scan tomorow i would stil be worried.

Keeping everything crossed for you!
Hey guys,

How are you? I have been feeling nauseous quite a lot since yesterday. I found it hard to get up today. I keep waking up now once or twice a night and I don't know why then I find it hard to go back to sleep. After I've eaten something I feel better for about an hour or two and then I get sick again. I cough a bit and my left side aches. That just makes me worry :frown: .......hard to not google and then you get 'ectopic' and I can't believe it could be an ectopic and you can only find out on the 12 week scan.

Today my tummy is sticking out I thought I was bloated but I even went to the toulet in the morning (sorry tmi)n but it's still poppping out and feels stretched. I'm wearing leggings over my tummy lol. Covering up. Everything is making me gag :/

I don't want to tell anyone until I have my 12 week scan and even then just one close collegue. By 20 weeks I will tell my boss and drop the bombshell that I'm not coming back in September.
:/ Anyone as pathetic as me? I took a test again today just to reassure myself the line was dark.

Quick Reply

Latest