The Student Room Group

VetMed rejections - Biovet questions and what to do...

Hi all,

As the title summises, I have applied for 2011 entry Vetmed at Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Liverpool. I was rejected by all point-blank except for Liverpool who first rejected me on grounds of not enough work experience, then called me to interview after I sent them an email detailing a long standing problem with my knee, suffice to say that it stopped me doing some more physical work exp [Farm labour and large animal husbandry etc etc.] But was then rejected afterwards.

However I do have a conditional offer from Glasgow for biovet, ABB, with A in Chemistry, and may or may not receive an offer from Liverpool for biovet, BBB.

I am someone who is really set on becoming a vet, the Anatomy and Physiology side of it being of real interest to me. And I was wondering, in a biovet course, how much anatomy do you learn, and do you do dissections?

Also, a lot of people have talked about doing biovet to do vetmed postgrad, but how would it be feasible if postgrad fees are extortionately expensive? And is there any company that would offer lower fees or university that does reduced fees for vetmed postgrad?

And what sort of chances do I have if I take a year out to acheive more experience and, grades permitting, re-apply next year.

Also also, what sort of career prospects do biovet have? would say, working for a big pharmaceutical company be viable and would they pay for my student fees or for me to do vetmed postgrad?

A lot of questions, and I may add more.

Thanks,

Stuart Jackson
Reply 1
if you are dead set on being a vet, then i would take a gap year and reapply. being rejected before interview kind of puts you at an advantage in reapplying, it means that you can get more small animal experience and if your knee can bear it, then large too, improve any grades and your personal statement

can't comment on biovet as i didn't apply as i don't want to do it, but doing a postgrad is even more competitive i believe?

having student debt shouldn't be a problem as being a vet is a well paid career :smile:
Reply 2
It's also the £20,000 per year for four years that is dissuading me from postgrad vetmed
Reply 3
my advice would be to give it another go applying to vet med as graduate entry is insanely expensive.
As for the biovet course, i can only really comment on the liverpool biovet course but from what i know you dont get to do any dissections that us vets get to do and they dont take the anatomy modules, the biovets are really integrated into the vet school here and share some of the modules with us but personally i couldnt have dealt with that because every day theyre gonna be reminded that at the end of it they dont get to be vets.
theres nothing wrong with taking a year out and getting more work experience, liverpool love reapplicants as do lots of uni's so focus on getting your grades for now and then pack your summer with as much work experince as possible :smile:
Original post by Stuartjackson
Hi all,

As the title summises, I have applied for 2011 entry Vetmed at Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Liverpool. I was rejected by all point-blank except for Liverpool who first rejected me on grounds of not enough work experience, then called me to interview after I sent them an email detailing a long standing problem with my knee, suffice to say that it stopped me doing some more physical work exp [Farm labour and large animal husbandry etc etc.] But was then rejected afterwards.

However I do have a conditional offer from Glasgow for biovet, ABB, with A in Chemistry, and may or may not receive an offer from Liverpool for biovet, BBB.

I am someone who is really set on becoming a vet, the Anatomy and Physiology side of it being of real interest to me. And I was wondering, in a biovet course, how much anatomy do you learn, and do you do dissections?

Also, a lot of people have talked about doing biovet to do vetmed postgrad, but how would it be feasible if postgrad fees are extortionately expensive? And is there any company that would offer lower fees or university that does reduced fees for vetmed postgrad?

And what sort of chances do I have if I take a year out to acheive more experience and, grades permitting, re-apply next year.

Also also, what sort of career prospects do biovet have? would say, working for a big pharmaceutical company be viable and would they pay for my student fees or for me to do vetmed postgrad?

A lot of questions, and I may add more.

Thanks,

Stuart Jackson

Avoid the grad vet med entry at all costs! Its a minefield and even more difficult to get into than school leaver entry. If you really want to be a vet, then i dont think Biovet will satisfy you, and you'll end up still wanting to be a vet after spending 3 years gathering debt and another degree you arent really going to use. If you want to be a vet then go for it! If i were you i would take a year out and spend the entire time making your application amazing. If you cant do the LA work experience, then do double small, anything!

However, im just wondering one thing. If you cant do LA work experience now, which is only a week or so, how are you going to cope with the LA EMS placements that have to be done during the course? Im not saying this to put you off, i was just wondering how you are going to manage.
Reply 5
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I guess I neglected to say that it WAS a longstanding problem, I had surgery on it in February (which made my Liverpool interview a bit tricky!) but when I recover to full fitness in the next couple of months I should be high and dry. So LA work exp in the future wouldn't be a problem.
Reply 6
I have a friend who ^is in her third year doing VetBioscience.
Last time we spoke, she spoke of dissecting fish, pigeons, dogs and cats. She seemed to be really enjoying it! She went into it desperate in becoming a vet.. But now she's thinking of trying to do other things with her degree. (im not sure where/why)
However she did mention the fact that the vetbioscince students get taught practically the same stuff as the vetmed students.. Except they're not expected to remember everything. (which might be a little... Frustrating) And I guess thy do more on drug designing and stuff?
But it actually seems like a pretty decent course.

However I'd also say to try a round two - provided you can do more experience. :smile:
Hope your knee gets well soon.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Thank you, does your friend say about her career prospects after completion of the course?

Quick Reply

Latest