The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Black people in Southampton

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Actually I haven't noticed very many black people at all at the uni or in the town. It's more Asians. No-one's gonna care though, whiteys are friendly.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 21
I haven't actually seen many, quite a few orientals though, don't see why it matters at all though. Southampton is a very friendly place tbh, race, religion etc is irrelevant.
I'm a Black African and I know one other person who will be coming with me to SOTON!!!! So it's not that bad...LOL...Plus it doesn't really matter man we're all human.
the president of the au is black. First ever black sabb i think.
Reply 24
I've lived here for 23 years and I could count on one hand the number of black people i've seen out and about. Not that it matters.
Being the President of Solent, I am pretty sure there is alot more black people in Southampton then some people in this thread are letting on.
Reply 26
Am I the only one feeling uneasy over this thread? :s-smilie:
I am a black final year student in Southampton and yes, there are black students here. Each year there are more and more lol. In my first year, there wasnt that much diversity but its certainly changed now.

To all the people who are assuming he/she must be racist/can only hang out with black people:

Clearly you are not black. Even in this so called evolved and better world we live in, there are still places in this country where I get abuse for being black in 'their city/area/neighbourhood'. I live in a big city but there are also some pubs where blacks and asians arent welcome. The nice thing about being a majority in a country is that you never have to consider your skin color when thinking of where to move/work/drink. But sometimes, we do. So its not that we just want to hang out with other black people, its just that we wanna find out from people who look like us how welcome we might be in a specific area.

And the answer is 'very'. Yes, ive had a couple of people say ignorant or racist things to me in southampton, but i've certainly experienced worse elsewhere. For the most part, people in soton are some of the friendliest people ive ever met. You'll do fine here.
x
Reply 28
Op this isn't 1950s america!
Don't see why people are making such a big deal out of this. As a black person going into a new environment,it is nice to see people of the same race of you. Can you imagine being the only white in the whole room..if another white person came in,you would probably be instantly attracted to them. People of the same colour often share the same culture eg cooking,music etc,so obviously on first impressions,it is sometimes easier to approach a black person than a white person.

Back to the question,I went to a party which was organised by the ACS in Southampton and there was a whole load of black people there. Obviously they do not make up the majority but there is the ACS who are really good apparently.
Seriously though does it matter what colour their skin is? Just get to know people and hang out.
Original post by U.S Lecce
Op this isn't 1950s america!

Tell that to my friend who was attacked in cardiff earlier this week, or the lady that called my white boyfriend a 'n*igger lover, or the man who called me a n*gger on the bus in bristol city center 3 weeks ago, or the guy who told me i 'speak well for a darkie' in Milton Keynes, or 'the guys who have told me i'm quite attractive for a 'darkie/n*gger/colored' or the old lady in southampton asda who saw me wearing a hoodie on a warm-ish day and told me 'Guess you're used to the hot weather in Africa hey'. I'VE NEVER BEEN TO AFRICA! lol

This has all been in the last 4 years. Not 1950's America. All I need now is someone to come burn a cross on my front lawn wearing a bed sheet and we ARE back in 1950's America.

There are going to be racist and ignorant people wherever you go. OP is just asking if there are other people that look like him/her because personally, I hate going to places where im the only black person because sometimes, people stare. You would be surprised how many people tell me im the first black person they've ever met/spoken to/been friends with.

There is nothing wrong with this post. And unless you are a minority, I dont think you will ever fully understand. And thats fine. But lets not berate the OP for posting something that is relevant to them. Its good that you are open minded and educated but not everyone will be.

Also, wanting to know if there are other black people doesnt automatically mean you will only hang out with black people. I asked the same question before I moved to Southampton and yet now im graduating, 90% + of my friends are white.

This isnt about racial segregation. Its more like someone who dances asking if there is a dance team. It doesn't mean they are only going to hang out with other dancers, they will still make other friends.
Reply 32
Original post by 0oemancipatedo0
Tell that to my friend who was attacked in cardiff earlier this week, or the lady that called my white boyfriend a 'n*igger lover, or the man who called me a n*gger on the bus in bristol city center 3 weeks ago, or the guy who told me i 'speak well for a darkie' in Milton Keynes, or 'the guys who have told me i'm quite attractive for a 'darkie/n*gger/colored' or the old lady in southampton asda who saw me wearing a hoodie on a warm-ish day and told me 'Guess you're used to the hot weather in Africa hey'. I'VE NEVER BEEN TO AFRICA! lol

This has all been in the last 4 years. Not 1950's America. All I need now is someone to come burn a cross on my front lawn wearing a bed sheet and we ARE back in 1950's America.

There are going to be racist and ignorant people wherever you go. OP is just asking if there are other people that look like him/her because personally, I hate going to places where im the only black person because sometimes, people stare. You would be surprised how many people tell me im the first black person they've ever met/spoken to/been friends with.

There is nothing wrong with this post. And unless you are a minority, I dont think you will ever fully understand. And thats fine. But lets not berate the OP for posting something that is relevant to them. Its good that you are open minded and educated but not everyone will be.

Also, wanting to know if there are other black people doesnt automatically mean you will only hang out with black people. I asked the same question before I moved to Southampton and yet now im graduating, 90% + of my friends are white.

This isnt about racial segregation. Its more like someone who dances asking if there is a dance team. It doesn't mean they are only going to hang out with other dancers, they will still make other friends.

Well said :smile:
Sometimes I get laughed at because of my strange Austrian accent, so if people can get strange because of various accents, I quite believe that they can get even more strange in terms of colour :s-smilie:

I've seen quite a few black people around here in Southampton, although I agree that the number seems to increasing - I've been living here for about 4 years.

I never encountered any racist attacks against black people yet, but I know these things are happening :frown: But in general people in Southampton are friendly to you, no matter where you come from :smile:
Reply 34
wooooooooooah lol I'm sure that Southampton is pretty diverse.. bit of an odd question really?
Original post by u.s lecce
^^^^^^^lies^^^^^^^

^^^^^ignorant^^^^
Original post by 0oemancipatedo0

I can identify with this as a gay person. If were to ask are there any gay people in southampton (which is a valid question to ask for someone who knows nothing about southampton) I wouldn't get a response as touchy as this thread is getting.

People like to know there are people like them around them. Get over it people because it wont change.

Oh and there's no need to worry I have plenty of black friends lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
If I got in I wouldn't care, I would just like to know that they would not be racist to me :smile:
Reply 38
I have a black friend. He likes chicken. (True story - No racism intended)
Reply 39
Original post by TomB1991
I have a black friend. He likes chicken. (True story - No racism intended)

lol dont we all like chicken

wonder where this stereotype came about

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending