The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Interviews...

I didn't actually apply to ucl, more of ssees (econ. with eastern eurp studies with year abroad). and so i was invited to an interview on 14th dec (?). so is anyone else going there?,

and mre importantly,

will it be one of those bumper fun open days with easy questions about my opinions on stuff, why i chose the uni, etc. or will i be given a piece of paper with questions like (this is the question. what is the answer?, and name one thing that a woman has invented? :eek: )

all my others are just offers without the interviews.

ooh. b4 i forget, they said they'll only give an offer if i 'go' there. but my mate's brother didn't go to a bristol interview and they still gave him an offer...

just wondering whether its worth it, or does the excuse "my feet were severed in a freak threshing accident", or equally sly "I have leprocy" rise to the challenge...

thnx 4 ur help(or lack of it).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
why are you so bothered about going?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
errrm.
because if i don't go then they might not give me an offer...
Reply 3
But why don't you want to go? If you get an offer out of it it has to be worthwhile, right?
UCL says that they try to interview as many people as possible, especially people to whom they want to give offers, so not going probably isn't a great idea. Especially as they've actually said that they won't give you an offer unless you go.
I had an interview (for Classics) last year and it was just an open day with half an hour of chatting in a vaguely subject-related way to a tutor, so nothing to worry about. Though that probably depends on the department.
Reply 4
yes, that's what I meant. Why don't you want to go so much.
i would go, especially as you dont know whether it is a "fun" interview of a serious one. eg my friend had a fun one last week for biology whereby there were lots of other people and it was just a friendly 1-2-1 chat with tutor. I however today went to my interview for english, which was very academic, facing 2 tutors, and followed by a written exam! go :smile: PFL xx
the train ticket costs circa. 100quid. although i can get it cheaper.

yeah, i think i'll go, see the uni meet some london based mates. hmmm. so its mixed (interviews, some are hoot-hoot, whilst the others are pleasantly impossible), although being on the safe side i'll revise the whole 'course' in case they'll ask me economics related questions; "Please tell us the economic well-being of outer mongolia, and how can local producers compete with western imports?". To which my anwer would be = errr. its alright, and pay a visit to their (competitor's) stores with a couple petrol bombs...

ignorance is bliss.

so, to what courses u ppl allying to?
Reply 7
I'm going to the open day on 14th November (interview in disguise); apllied for history at the SSEES. Hope to see you there :smile: . Anyone else going?
you mean, 14th december....

or, boy you are late
Reply 9
uthinkilltellu
you mean, 14th december....

or, boy you are late

:biggrin: yes.
Reply 10
They show you everything- your dept, the uni, the atmosphere- it's usually quite a bit of fun.

I suggest you go- it would be a good experience for you. And if you take a train down, if you book about now, and compare prices, you can definitely get it cheaper that 100 quid.
yeah, i've already booked, don't know how much it was... but it has certainly set me back on the beer money...

also, will the interview be hard? will i need to revise anything?
uthinkilltellu, where else are you applying to? I am also applying to ssees! But I am applying for politics and east european studies.
ucl(interview), rhul (offer), surrey (offer), soas

the ssees offers are lower than ucl. :wink:

where are you applying to?

--------------

ohh. edinburg aswell
I am applying to ssees (poltics), warwick (politics), LSE (government and economics), st. andrews (international relations), manchester(politics and law). Are you applying for economics at all six of your choices? Why did you apply to ssees? I applied because it is the only politics course at UCL.
yes, or economics with something,

the offer at ucl would be AAA, at ssees its BBB....

i think that explains it, :biggrin:

--------------

what are your predicted grades?
uthinkilltellu

--------------

AAA. Doing English Lit, History and Economics. Whatabout you? Any offers/rejections yet?
uthinkilltellu

--------------

AAA. Doing English Lit, History and Economics. Whatabout you? Any offers/rejections yet?
got rejected from lse (but thats because i was looking at 2005 prospectus, where the 'standard offer' was ABB, but in 2006 edition it escalated to AAA).

my predicted offer are AAB, but i do sport (fencing) at a (near) proffesioanal level, and won lots of medals in it. i'm also an award winning photographer...err and something else i can't remember... so that gives me an edge over some (christmas pudding) students, but alas not enough to even get an interview... tut tut.

what about you?

--------------

i'm doing maths, psych, econ&bus (nuffield)

--------------

why are you applying to ssees.
Reply 19
uthinkilltellu
got rejected from lse (but thats because i was looking at 2005 prospectus, where the 'standard offer' was ABB, but in 2006 edition it escalated to AAA).

my predicted offer are AAB, but i do sport (fencing) at a (near) proffesioanal level, and won lots of medals in it. i'm also an award winning photographer...err and something else i can't remember... so that gives me an edge over some (christmas pudding) students, but alas not enough to even get an interview... tut tut.

what about you?

--------------

i'm doing maths, psych, econ&bus (nuffield)

--------------

why are you applying to ssees.

You may be surprised to learn that there are many other applicants out there with the same (or more) commitment to their Co-Currricular Activities, and yet perform very well academically. Don't fret or be a wet blanket, just move on.