The Student Room Group

medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by phill232
well i do think you can largely self teach it suring a summer if you had enough drive but the practicalities of coursework or ISA's and then the exam dates in January or June only are serious factors. Also they ask that all Alevels are completed with 2 years of study

i still think there should be like a foundation thing for us guys who dont take bio....
Reply 21
Original post by dearyme
Haha I aim to please. I'm not a graduate but i am a reapplicant so basically have spent the last year swotting up on medical school applications.

Graduate medicine is notoriously more competitive than undergrad admissions so it might be you don't get an offer first time round and will then have to reapply the year after, but if you spend the next three years working one's bottom off, doing lots of work related to medicine that demonstrate an ability to care, lots of work exp you will improve your chances.

I think that route is more likely to be successful for you as there are quite a few universities that don't accept applications from students already on an undergraduate course, and even fewer of those have entry requirements of below AAA.

Articles you may find of use

For graduate med
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide

If you decide to apply whilst studying Pharmacy
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_for_Medicine_Whilst_on_a_Different_Course
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Hope that helps in some way :smile:

thanks ALOT HONESTLY.:smile:
when you say 3 yrs you mean after graduation right?
Reply 22
Original post by richardd
thanks ALOT HONESTLY.:smile:
when you say 3 yrs you mean after graduation right?

You're welcome :smile:

I meant the 3 years whilst you were doing your degree.
Regarding the article with med schools that take you while you're already on a course- I rang every single med school in the UK (twice) during the first year of my biomed degree and they said no.

You better start saving for grad med it's gonna be SUPER expensive... And get some continuous voluntary and work experience under your belt for the next 3 years :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Ayshizzle
Regarding the article with med schools that take you while you're already on a course- I rang every single med school in the UK (twice) during the first year of my biomed degree and they said no.

You better start saving for grad med it's gonna be SUPER expensive... And get some continuous voluntary and work experience under your belt for the next 3 years :smile:

ok thanks...:smile:
how did you save money?
part time work?
ok thanks...:smile:
how did you save money?
part time work?

I'm borrowing money from family for tuition fees (but mine will only be 3 grand a year so that's doable) and using a maintenance loan for living costs and rent.
Have you checked that if you were able to get a transfer place for next year, you could carry on paying the lower fees?
If you go for the grad entry route you'll probs have to work for a bit to save, as they'll probably drop the NHS bursary from 4 year courses because of the rise in fees.
Reply 26
I'm borrowing money from family for tuition fees (but mine will only be 3 grand a year so that's doable) and using a maintenance loan for living costs and rent.
Have you checked that if you were able to get a transfer place for next year, you could carry on paying the lower fees?
If you go for the grad entry route you'll probs have to work for a bit to save, as they'll probably drop the NHS bursary from 4 year courses because of the rise in fees.

when it gets to us guys (my year and below) everything become so competitive..difficult ladida that it becomes pointless to breathe.
with regards to the transfer i will have to check whilst on the pharmacy course.
What do you think of biology AS and also how imp is it in first to graduate entry years?(academic qualf in general)
mine is only gonna be 3 and a bit grand a year as well?
or does it go upto £9000 for next yr if i apply this yr?
when it gets to us guys (my year and below) everything become so competitive..difficult ladida that it becomes pointless to breathe.
with regards to the transfer i will have to check whilst on the pharmacy course.
What do you think of biology AS and also how imp is it in first to graduate entry years?(academic qualf in general)
mine is only gonna be 3 and a bit grand a year as well?
or does it go upto £9000 for next yr if i apply this yr?

If you're gonna transfer this year i'd call them first and check that you will carry on paying the same fees, as it might change. But you'd get a student loan for that anyways so it wouldn't really matter if you did have to pay £9000 next year.
If you apply as a grad you'll have to pay the full £9000 fees, with no loan, so you'd have to source that money from somewhere (altogether you're gonne need about 40- 50K)

From what i've seen a lot of grad entry uni's ask for a level bio. I think it'd be a good idea to take it tbh, just to strengthen your application :smile:
Reply 28
If you're gonna transfer this year i'd call them first and check that you will carry on paying the same fees, as it might change. But you'd get a student loan for that anyways so it wouldn't really matter if you did have to pay £9000 next year.
If you apply as a grad you'll have to pay the full £9000 fees, with no loan, so you'd have to source that money from somewhere (altogether you're gonne need about 40- 50K)

From what i've seen a lot of grad entry uni's ask for a level bio. I think it'd be a good idea to take it tbh, just to strengthen your application :smile:

i think its not even worth doing medicine atm tbh with that much money....
even taking a gap yr wouldve been pointless.
Wait if i just decide to do pharmacy would i pay the normal 3500*4=amount right?
or next yr when i apply for student finance would i have to pay 9000?
i think its not even worth doing medicine atm tbh with that much money....
even taking a gap yr wouldve been pointless.
Wait if i just decide to do pharmacy would i pay the normal 3500*4=amount right?
or next yr when i apply for student finance would i have to pay 9000?

If you apply for medicine and get in for 2012 you may have to pay the 9000, as being in the application cycle for that year with the fees you'd know what you were letting yourself in for. I'd call student finance and ask to clarify that though, I may be wrong :smile:

If you apply as a graduate for 2014 entry you'll be expected to pay 9000 a year upfront.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending