The Student Room Group

IGCSE French - How is it?

I'd like to know someone who has already done IGCSE / GCSE in French (2nd Lang.). Is it difficult or easy?

I have a bit of words, but I know I'll have to study basic grammar, and from what I've heard about French grammar, it doesn't sound like something easy like English grammar.

Also, any idea whether someone could study for this exam within a period of 5 months? I know this sounds a bit of a challenging thing, but I really am very much behind in my studies (turning 18 in Sep '11) and I know I can to do it if I want to. So do you all think I go ahead and start studying seriously, or do I postpone it to the May/June '12 session? (I've not registered yet, so I still can postpone things)
Reply 1
I reckon you could probably study for it in five months, if you've already got a reasonably strong understanding of KS3 french, its not that much more grammar.

I'm doing my IGCSE French in a few weeks and we've covered the syllabus in a year (I'm doing it a year early in yr10) so I'm sure you could do if you study seriously :smile:

You might as well register, then the stress would make you work :tongue:.
Reply 2
Original post by snazzydizz
I reckon you could probably study for it in five months, if you've already got a reasonably strong understanding of KS3 french, its not that much more grammar.

I'm doing my IGCSE French in a few weeks and we've covered the syllabus in a year (I'm doing it a year early in yr10) so I'm sure you could do if you study seriously :smile:

You might as well register, then the stress would make you work :tongue:.

Then I suppose I better not hurry things up, as I have not learned French in the past. I remember learning words and phrases from a CD, but all I remember from that at the moment is counting numbers 1 - 10, how to say 'my name is Bouchra,' and a few simple words!

Did you have any knowledge of French prior to studying it for your IGCSE?

Thanks for replying.
Reply 3
Yeah, I did. I'd been doing French for three years and had already mastered the present tense and the past tenses. I also had a reasonably good vocabulary.

If you have not learned French in the past then I would wait, as you will probably need more time to master the basics first.

Have a look at a paper online and see how much you can understand and go from there

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcses/languages/new/french_materials.php?id=08&prev=08

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending