The Student Room Group

Laptop for Computer Science

I'm starting a computer science degree in September. I'm using a laptop that's ~3 years old.

There'll be computers for student use, but has anyone found that they need a decent laptop/ desktop in their rooms? I'm pretty reluctant to get a new one, but if I have to, I want to start saving...
Reply 1
why would you need a new laptop i doubt you will have to do anything intensive on your computer
Reply 2
Thankyou :smile: That's what I thought. I just didn't want to turn up and realise that it was necessary and I had no money :P
Reply 3
If you're that worried about it you may as well just buy a standard desktop computer which, especially if you make them yourself, are pretty cheap compared to laptops. Also external hard drives are very cheap for what they give you!
Reply 4
Don't need anything special to be honest, could you list the specs for us?
Reply 5
My coursemate only owns a 6 year old desktop running XP, he doesn't own a mobile phone and doesn't have an account on facebook. He is averaging around 80. I wouldn't say you need one but why not treat yourself :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Conorrr
My coursemate only owns a 6 year old desktop running XP, he doesn't own a mobile phone and doesn't have an account on facebook. He is averaging around 80. I wouldn't say you need one but why not treat yourself :biggrin:

this. a guy in plymouth's computing society is still using a low end p4 with 768mb RAM and a 128mb gpu, plenty enough for his needs, watching him struggling through newer games at LAN parties can be amusing though :P
Reply 7
Definitely, I agree with all these guys because you are a beginner and you don’t want to new laptop because you have doing your work in old one as well. Try to save your money for the future whenever you think that you should buy a new one then take it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending