The Student Room Group

How do get better at maths?

Hey I'm revising AS Maths and I want to do Physics at University. The problem is I achieve As in Physics and Chemsitry but I got a C in C1 in January. I want at least AAA/AAB.

I don't want to have AAC. I'm worried because I'll get a C or even D in AS maths.

How can I avoid this?
Reply 1
Past papers, past papers and yet more past papers.

It may be very boring, but it's freakin effective.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Practice, practice and more practice.
Reply 3
Go through the book and do every single question. Once thats done, take on the past papers.
Reply 4
If you want an AAA/AAB offer, you'll have to get A in maths. Try doing some maths outside the syllabus as well.
Reply 5
Practicing is the only way forward. If you want to aim high, do what the poster above me said, to get deeper knowledge.
Reply 6
Generally just do as many past papers as you can. There are only so many ways they can ask a question, after which point they just start repeating themselves only using different numbers.
Try to understand as much of the course as possible. Doing lots of past papers is really good for practice, but if you look for proofs and derivations of the formulae you're given, and understand their origins, then you'll find that you don't need to put as much effort in to learn the equations. You don't need to know the proofs for the exams, but if you want to do Physics at university the extra mathematical insight might be helpful.
Reply 8
Original post by No!
Hey I'm revising AS Maths and I want to do Physics at University. The problem is I achieve As in Physics and Chemsitry but I got a C in C1 in January. I want at least AAA/AAB.

I don't want to have AAC. I'm worried because I'll get a C or even D in AS maths.

How can I avoid this?

If you have a textbook with loads of questions, make sure you do EVERY SINGLE one of them. Then do as many past papers as possible. For maths it is more the practice that will get you the A and not the theory alone.

And make sure you know how to apply different rules at different questions and make sure you don't have any 'gaps' in your maths. One example of a gap would be not knowing how to 'cancel out' fractions, which actually is a simple thing, but some people didn't pay full attention in their GCSEs and therefore can't do it as part of partial fractions for A2 for example. There are loads other examples of 'gaps', but I think you get the idea of what I mean.

So, practice, know the theory, know how to solve each kind of questions, and confidence will get you the A and A*.

I achieved an A in A Level Maths btw if that matters.
Reply 9
Original post by therealOG
Past papers, past papers and yet more past papers.

It may be very boring, but it's freakin effective.

^ THIS

I don't know what exam board you're on, but I'm doing MEI and for the modules I've done so far they've pretty much put in questions which are really similar to ones on past papers, just with different numbers in. So if you learn how to do it it's easy :biggrin:
All these posts that just say 'do loads of practice questions' are BULL****.

Make sure that you fully understand each bit. Then do loads of practice questions. Get your head around ****. It's easier to remember stuff when it makes sense to you. Especially with Maths. You do well at other sciences so you shouldn't find it too hard.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
If you want to do physics at uni and can only get a C in C1 you're going to struggle.

Sorry for the harsh reality.
lots of past papers if you want to learn it all mechanically and understand nothing.
Khan academy, textbook activities and derivations if you want some intuition.

Quick Reply

Latest