The Student Room Group

Cambridge STEP Results

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure if this is more Cambridge or maths related so please move it if i'm wrong :smile:

As you can see in my sig I have an offer for Cambridge of S/1 in either of STEP I and STEP II, and I was wondering what would happen if I missed my offer and got instead a 1 in each paper?

Obviously I would have missed my offer so they would be completely justified in rejecting me, but I know they let in some people who narrowly miss the grade. Would I be considered more favourably than someone who had just missed an offer of 1/1, ie got a 1/2? Especially considering that if I narrowly missed a S/1 offer I would have achieved a higher mark than a large percentage of people who met their 1/1 offer?

EDIT:

Oh, and we can assume I got A1's in all my Advanced Highers (basically a*'s) if that helps. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
They can look at your paper and do all sorts of things to make a decision, but at the end of the day you don't want to be leaving it to chance.
Reply 2
Im glad you asked this question!
I have a similar offer for step 2 and 3. If I got 1,1 instead of S,1 (which seems unlikely after the last paper i did :tongue: ) what would my chances be like?
Shouldn't leave it to chance though, your right.
Reply 3
S,1 in I and II, though? Their usual offer is for 1,1 in II and III (I'm guessing you didn't take further maths to A2), so if you got 1,1 in I and II, I'm not sure how that would put you next to someone who got 1,2 in II and III. Depends on the questions that year, I guess.

I do feel bad for people with offers that include an S though :no:
Reply 4
Original post by kerily
S,1 in I and II, though? Their usual offer is for 1,1 in II and III (I'm guessing you didn't take further maths to A2), so if you got 1,1 in I and II, I'm not sure how that would put you next to someone who got 1,2 in II and III. Depends on the questions that year, I guess.

I do feel bad for people with offers that include an S though :no:

The thing is that I am taking Scottish Qualifications and my Maths and Mechanics courses are equivalent to me taking further maths. :confused: So if it was there choice that made it so I can't see how they could mark me down for it??

And yeah it sucks having an S offer, although it might be worth getting to avoid the stress of an another interview to get my pool offer :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by dbou
And yeah it sucks having an S offer, although it might be worth getting to avoid the stress of an another interview to get my pool offer :smile:

Why would you have another interview?
Reply 6
Original post by SimonM
Why would you have another interview?

Well I was rejected by my first college, so I have probably completely incorrectly assumed you usually get re-interviewed by the college who has fished you from the pool? Sorry if I am wrong :smile:

Anyway, I wasn't interviewed by my second college (my application was put into the pool very late into it, its a long story) so I assumed that had something to do with my offer...?
Reply 7
Original post by dbou
Well I was rejected by my first college, so I have probably completely incorrectly assumed you usually get re-interviewed by the college who has fished you from the pool? Sorry if I am wrong :smile:

Anyway, I wasn't interviewed by my second college (my application was put into the pool very late into it, its a long story) so I assumed that had something to do with my offer...?

You usually do get re-interviewed. However in your case I doubt it, I don't think S offers from Churchill are uncommon at all.

Quick Reply

Latest