The Student Room Group

My Brother's Application to Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nuodai
I'm sure it would help, but he definitely doesn't need 90%+ in all of his AS modules (or even as an average).

Agreed, 90%+ isn't essential, but it is very useful.

Below is a quote from a letter from Geoff Parks, Director of Admissions for Cambridge Colleges to Michael Gove:

"As you may know, central to Cambridge’s admissions process is the close examination of AS and A2 marks (UMS) achieved at point of application. Extensive internal research has shown that the correlations between these marks, which mainly come from AS, and performance in Cambridge University examinations are very good. Indeed, they are much stronger than the correlations that can be obtained using GCSEs or aptitude tests. It is no coincidence, in our view, that our
utilisation of AS scores as a core component of admissions decisions has been accompanied by a noticeable reduction in the number of complaints we have received from schools and colleges about the fairness of our selection process. The same period has also seen marked improvement in Cambridge examination performance."

The link to the letter is here:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/responses/alevelreform.pdf

Some candidates who are not initially given an offer will be put into the winter pool by their college so that other colleges can consider them. The automatic pooling criteria are given below:
"All applicants in this round (except those for Medicine) who are not offered places by their preference Colleges but have attained both 7 or more A*s at GCSE and 92% or more in each of their three best/ most relevant (i.e. where the subject at a particular College has subject preferences at A/AS Level) AS Level subjects MUST be pooled in category P if not in another category.
In the case of post-qualification applicants the equivalent criteria are: both 7 or more A*s at GCSE and 92% or more in each of their three best/most relevant A Level subjects."
The reference for this is:
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/
First section of G, bottom of page 2.

I'm curious that my all-time total of neg reps has gone from 0 to 3 in the past 24 hours, simply by giving facts (backed up in most cases with evidence, although I was slow to give the evidence contained in this posting) and useful advice.
Original post by tiny hobbit
Agreed, 90%+ isn't essential, but it is very useful.

Below is a quote from a letter from Geoff Parks, Director of Admissions for Cambridge Colleges to Michael Gove:

"As you may know, central to Cambridge’s admissions process is the close examination of AS and A2 marks (UMS) achieved at point of application. Extensive internal research has shown that the correlations between these marks, which mainly come from AS, and performance in Cambridge University examinations are very good. Indeed, they are much stronger than the correlations that can be obtained using GCSEs or aptitude tests. It is no coincidence, in our view, that our
utilisation of AS scores as a core component of admissions decisions has been accompanied by a noticeable reduction in the number of complaints we have received from schools and colleges about the fairness of our selection process. The same period has also seen marked improvement in Cambridge examination performance."

The link to the letter is here:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/responses/alevelreform.pdf

Some candidates who are not initially given an offer will be put into the winter pool by their college so that other colleges can consider them. The automatic pooling criteria are given below:
"All applicants in this round (except those for Medicine) who are not offered places by their preference Colleges but have attained both 7 or more A*s at GCSE and 92% or more in each of their three best/ most relevant (i.e. where the subject at a particular College has subject preferences at A/AS Level) AS Level subjects MUST be pooled in category P if not in another category.
In the case of post-qualification applicants the equivalent criteria are: both 7 or more A*s at GCSE and 92% or more in each of their three best/most relevant A Level subjects."
The reference for this is:
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/
First section of G, bottom of page 2.

I'm curious that my all-time total of neg reps has gone from 0 to 3 in the past 24 hours, simply by giving facts (backed up in most cases with evidence, although I was slow to give the evidence contained in this posting) and useful advice.

I know someone who applied to Cambridge last year with out any GCSE's, got an interview and was then pooled.
I don't see why he can't do it. His GCSEs are great.

I do wonder whether Natural Sciences is viable when he hasn't taken any sciences? I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that Chemistry is pretty necessary for Nat Sci.

Realistically, he would need A*AA rather than AAB at A-level.

To improve his chances he would, first and foremost, need to work very hard to get outstanding grades at AS-level. He should also get involved with extra-curriculars and read widely around the course to be able to impress at interview.
Original post by jacketpotato
I don't see why he can't do it. His GCSEs are great.

I do wonder whether Natural Sciences is viable when he hasn't taken any sciences? I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that Chemistry is pretty necessary for Nat Sci.

Realistically, he would need A*AA rather than AAB at A-level.

To improve his chances he would, first and foremost, need to work very hard to get outstanding grades at AS-level. He should also get involved with extra-curriculars and read widely around the course to be able to impress at interview.

Where do you study?
What's the point of taking Geography AS early and getting a B in it?
Original post by RobertWhite
One of my friends got asked why snow was white, he attempted it to a decent degree and got rejected :s-smilie:

That's interesting. You hear very mixed things about entry. Some people say you have to get at least so many A*s, yet others say they got in with less. Some people say the interview is everything, but some say they messed up their interview and get in. I would love to speak to an interviewer to see how they test/judge people.
Original post by King-Panther
Where do you study?

Graduated from Cambridge recently
Original post by jacketpotato
Graduated from Cambridge recently

Which college?
Reply 28
Being a current NatSci student at Cambridge, those GCSEs should be perfectly sufficient for entry.

Doing any AS levels early is not remotely a requirement, or even advantageous; it would be better to do the 5AS levels and 4A levels in the normal years so that he can focus on them.

His choice of AS and A level subjects is the most important thing right now: for the two courses he's looking at (I'm assuming Physical Natural Sciences, rather than biological, based on the engineering) Maths and Physics to A2 are absolute requirements, and Further Maths and/or Chemistry to A2 is highly desirable (Further Maths would probably be preferred) If he has 3 A2s from that list he has a strong application, then it comes down to grades (adding the fourth from that list to AS would not be a bad idea)

For beyond-the-syllabus, doing some reading into other areas of physics or attending public lectures/master-classes at a nearby university can help to strengthen a personal statement (when he gets to that stage), the main thing is that his personal statement should reflect his interest and passion for the subject.

Other good unis to apply to (Cambridge is somewhat hit-and-miss, don't be without a backup) are Imperial College London, Durham and University College London. Imperial and UCL both have interview processes, which while not as stringent as the Cambridge interview will help build up some confidence and practice. Interviews are entirely academically based, it's about seeing how you think through and approach problems that may be significantly harder than anything encountered before. (getting the answer right is not a requirement, and hints are given if you get stuck; its about how you will be to teach)

Having come to Cambridge, I've been told my college considers the two most important factors the subjects (which are taken and AS module marks) and the interview.

His offer will be A*AA, that's the standard offer now and it is rare for any different to be given. (if it is different, it's normally because one grade has already been achieved)
Reply 29
Thank you all very much for your help. Especially Mr Z and Tiny Hobbit :smile:
I think that I will now be recommending he:
1) Continues to aim for Cambridge, his GCSES are adequate.
2) Drop the Geography early AS - it's pointless.
3) Take Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics to A2. Include Economics if he has the time.
4) Show his passion for the subject: find himself some lectures to attend; relevant work experience and wider reading.
5) Research some good alternative unis he would be happy to attend.
6) Get very high marks in his ASs.
7) Practise his interview technique with me and the parents (I hold an offer for PPE at Oxford so some of what I now know might be relevant).

If I missed anything or if anyone has more tips and pointers, please keep posting!
Reply 30
Those are all very good plans.

1/3) between geography and economics, he should do whichever he prefers to AS, but not early. Cambridge won't much mind which of those he does, so he should choose based on how he enjoys the subject. (If he's interested in the geology course in the first year, geography may help somewhat with that)

4) lectures and reading are a good idea. If you can't find relevant work experience, don't worry; do try, but it's quite hard to get any work experience in physics, and wont set you back.

5) If he's a confident Cambridge candidate, I would certainly recommend looking at Imperial College London; their course is almost on par with Cambridge, and they have a more relaxed interview at an earlier date than Cambridge's

7) You can certainly help somewhat, but his school may also be able to provide Oxbridge preparation and interview practice. If not, teachers from other (esp private) schools nearby may be willing to tutor. http://universityinterviews.com/index.php has some accounts of people's interviews for various top unis (including Cambridge), varying in length and detail, that can provide a good idea of what to expect.

8) go to open days and look around the colleges. do this a few times, it's nice to have a feel for where you're going to fit in. There are also summer schools, a shadowing scheme and other outreach programmes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending