The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Liv1204
I won't lie, eating is not a fun experience for a while afterwards. But you do get used to it! I could barely drink even a lot of soups at first, but after a couple of weeks I had progressed to eating blended chicken and broccoli and it was like one of the nicest things ever! In hindsight I suspect any food was lovely then. :biggrin:

But also, it sounds really silly but I had a baby beaker that I used to drink out of afterwards for tea etc, and it made it so much easier to drink from. Apart from that I just lived off build-up milkshakes and liquidised iron (worst thing I've ever had >.<) for the first few weeks!

It is worth it so much though, and the feeling when you get to eat your first proper meal again...awesome. :biggrin:

Sounds super fun! haha Where do you get the shake things from? They sound like a good idea :biggrin: I can't wait for the finished results, it should be before my year 13 prom, which would be awesome! I think the most difficult part for me is being trapped in the house for weeks, but hopefully I'll be on a cocktail of painkillers and not really notice :colondollar: When did you have yours done?
Original post by Meg :)
Did your maths exams go badly then? I am so looking forward to straight teeth in the right place! They are also tilting my jaw as I'm 2mm off my chin being central or something?! I just hope my nerve recovers, it's not the end of the world if it doesn't though :tongue: ahh good luck! have you ever had a general anaesthetic before?

Maths isn't my best subject. Yer same :smile: oh wow that's not going to be a nice recovery :/ ha same don't wana nit be able to feel my lip. Npe never have you?? 2 days for me left having it on wednesday

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
Reply 42
Original post by zara.visanji
Maths isn't my best subject. Yer same :smile: oh wow that's not going to be a nice recovery :/ ha same don't wana nit be able to feel my lip. Npe never have you?? 2 days for me left having it on wednesday

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e

Yeah I had my impacted wisdom teeth out last summer, it was really weird but I remember them saying 'just relax. Think about your GCSE results' and I was about to reply 'what? that's not relaxing' but went to sleep instead?! It's good though because when you wake up it's all done, you don't have the 3 hour wait like your family do! haha It's getting really close for you then :redface: do you know how many nights you're staying in?
I'm having it done this summer and my surgeon said two weeks for surgical swelling and six months for soft tissue swelling! So it's quite a long time :P I have had my braces for 3 years now :redface: The hospital told me that it is possible over the Christmas break but most people do it in the summer holidays (particularly the one between year 12 and 13) as it gives plenty of time to recover :smile: It may be too late to put you on this summer though as you need loads of measurements and extra bits added onto the braces, but you could always ask your orthodontist! :biggrin:

Thanks :smile: What is soft tissue swelling? I hope I don't go around looking really puffy for six months :/ Or is that just slight puffiness?

Yeah, I've pretty much assumed it's too late for this summer, ah well. Though I don't particularly want to hang around waiting til next summer. Just want to get the whole process done with. My orthodontist says I'm nearly ready so I think Christmas will be the best time.

Oooh, how come you've had yours for 3 years?
Reply 44
Original post by yabbayabba
Thanks :smile: What is soft tissue swelling? I hope I don't go around looking really puffy for six months :/ Or is that just slight puffiness?

Yeah, I've pretty much assumed it's too late for this summer, ah well. Though I don't particularly want to hang around waiting til next summer. Just want to get the whole process done with. My orthodontist says I'm nearly ready so I think Christmas will be the best time.

Oooh, how come you've had yours for 3 years?

Not entirely sure what the difference between the two types of swelling are!? I think they both make you look hamster like on the outside :s-smilie: but most of the swelling is supposed to go after 1 or 2 months, so not really puffed up for ages :wink: You may need to take a couple more weeks off for having it done over Christmas, I'll let you know how long it takes to be up for school again after my operation :smile:
Yeah I had my impacted wisdom teeth out last summer, it was really weird but I remember them saying 'just relax. Think about your GCSE results' and I was about to reply 'what? that's not relaxing' but went to sleep instead?! It's good though because when you wake up it's all done, you don't have the 3 hour wait like your family do! haha It's getting really close for you then :redface: do you know how many nights you're staying in?

Haha that's not helpful at all lol. Oh well that's what fam are for :tongue: urm they say 1-2 depending how bad I am etc.. feel so bad my sisters graduation is the day after my opp so can not go.. but also means no fam can come see me :/ how many nights u staying in for?

Reply 46
Sounds super fun! haha Where do you get the shake things from? They sound like a good idea :biggrin: I can't wait for the finished results, it should be before my year 13 prom, which would be awesome! I think the most difficult part for me is being trapped in the house for weeks, but hopefully I'll be on a cocktail of painkillers and not really notice :colondollar: When did you have yours done?

You can get them in Boots and places like that, there's things like Complan and Fortislip. I lived off the strawberry ones, but they do other flavours too. It is frustrating being at home for weeks, lots of books, DVDs and things needed!

I had mine in November 2005, so a couple of months after I started college which wasn't ideal. But it all worked out. And yes, that will make your Y13 prom extra special for you! :biggrin:

I haven't got a clue what the difference is between the two types of swelling, but you should almost certainly not look puffy for 6 months. By around 6-8 weeks you'll probably find that the majority of the puffiness has gone, after that you might have a bit of slight swelling for a little while but it depends on the individual recovery I suppose.

I went back to college 7 weeks after my operation and nobody noticed anything at all (I hadn't told anyone why I was off), so try not to worry too much about that side of things. :smile:
Oh wow clever much :tongue: ABB its the B in maths though :/ can get the grades in geog and bio but its stupid maths. Oh well least you will have amaze teeth. Hmm with both they tend to wore it or tight band it.. for the first few weeks it will be hard especially the first week you won't be able to open ur jaw much. 4 dayss left for me :/

How long ago did they set the date for your surgery? Thanks

I haven't got a clue what the difference is between the two types of swelling, but you should almost certainly not look puffy for 6 months. By around 6-8 weeks you'll probably find that the majority of the puffiness has gone, after that you might have a bit of slight swelling for a little while but it depends on the individual recovery I suppose.

I went back to college 7 weeks after my operation and nobody noticed anything at all (I hadn't told anyone why I was off), so try not to worry too much about that side of things. :smile:

Ah ok, that's a relief :smile: Do you remember what the time lapse was between the doctors setting the date of your surgery and you actually having it? Thanks :smile:
How long ago did they set the date for your surgery? Thanks

Well the original date was last Wednesday and then they moved it and on Friday got it rearranged to an earlier date etc.. urm I would say it was set about over a month ago.. I told them I wanted the earliest date or I wouldn't have it cus of uni starting etc

Reply 49
Haha that's not helpful at all lol. Oh well that's what fam are for :tongue: urm they say 1-2 depending how bad I am etc.. feel so bad my sisters graduation is the day after my opp so can not go.. but also means no fam can come see me :/ how many nights u staying in for?

I may be in for 1 or 2 as well :smile: disappointing about your sister's graduation! I hope your surgery is very successful! Let me know how it goes (if you're up to it) :P good luck :biggrin:
Reply 50
Hi Guys, it's been really helpful to read about your experience, has anyone had the surgery in London? My dentist advised me to have the surgery but I don't really know which hospitals should I ask for consultations.. I'm a bit chickened out too.. I'm 26, my dentist says I should fix my underbite as soon as possible coz it gets more difficult when you're getting older..
Cheers!
Original post by mark6
Hi Guys, it's been really helpful to read about your experience, has anyone had the surgery in London? My dentist advised me to have the surgery but I don't really know which hospitals should I ask for consultations.. I'm a bit chickened out too.. I'm 26, my dentist says I should fix my underbite as soon as possible coz it gets more difficult when you're getting older..
Cheers!

I'm having it in the John radcliffe hospital in oxford for an overbite tomorrow will let you know how it goes :smile: if you live in London maybe its good to see ones locally. Although mine is an hour from me ...

(edited 11 years ago)

Well the original date was last Wednesday and then they moved it and on Friday got it rearranged to an earlier date etc.. urm I would say it was set about over a month ago.. I told them I wanted the earliest date or I wouldn't have it cus of uni starting etc

Ok thanks for that. Hope your surgery goes well :smile: Obviously it will :biggrin:

Original post by mark6
Cheers!

I go to Kings College Hospital. They've been pretty good for me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hello everyone so I am now home. Going to talk you through my experience day by day. Just like to remind people that this was lower jaw surgery to have it move forward... Just to start with a few things they no longer do in surgery 1. Cut slits in ur mouth to have tubes coming out of blood during surgery 2. They do it in some case but I do not have elastic bands.

Mr saeed the surgeon performed the opp not his regestitrar which is great news he did it in an hour and didn't damage any nerves there are pluses and negatives to this.... A problem with no nerve damaged it doesnt mean I won't get numbness cus trust I did and its not fun it just means I feel more than the average person due to feeling more it means I was more stiff and in pain cried a few times :/ okay so..

Day 1 - first person to be operated on they came did a few forms then met with surgeon and the person who drugs you out... Then got drugged out whilst they talk nonsense to you in a different room. The operation took and hour then was in recovery for an hour nd half... Do not make the mistake I made do not talk straight away all hyper like me as I had no pain at all to begin with. So from 11am to 5pm when I was on the ward min pain and min swelling they put a bandage on for ice really useful as soon as u remember ask them to swap it to a tubi grip bandage more comfy and doesnt dig in. From 5 onwards it hurt a lot be prepared the drugs are okay just try and sleep asap you won't be able to eat soft food but they will give you milk drinks ensure plus really good (send you home with a tray of them) coughed up blood well spat it out all normal as I asked five different people you will feel sick just adjust seating posistion and sit on floor for a but really helps.

Day 2 - horrid swollen no longer feeling happy was given the okay to go at 5 pm take codeine from them keep reminding them your in pain. Most swelling occurs keep ice pack on. Mr saeed the surgeon said this is me at mist swelling from tomorrow should shrink again. Only allowed cold fluids nothing warm. Try to sit sleeping not laying down or lay with three pillows as reduces swelling..if you wana see pictures let me know. Will post most days so you can see when swelling goes. Day two swelling wise is hell not only do you blow up but it hurts a lot!!

Reply 54
Hello everyone so I am now home. Going to talk you through my experience day by day. Just like to remind people that this was lower jaw surgery to have it move forward... Just to start with a few things they no longer do in surgery 1. Cut slits in ur mouth to have tubes coming out of blood during surgery 2. They do it in some case but I do not have elastic bands.

Mr saeed the surgeon performed the opp not his regestitrar which is great news he did it in an hour and didn't damage any nerves there are pluses and negatives to this.... A problem with no nerve damaged it doesnt mean I won't get numbness cus trust I did and its not fun it just means I feel more than the average person due to feeling more it means I was more stiff and in pain cried a few times :/ okay so..

Day 1 - first person to be operated on they came did a few forms then met with surgeon and the person who drugs you out... Then got drugged out whilst they talk nonsense to you in a different room. The operation took and hour then was in recovery for an hour nd half... Do not make the mistake I made do not talk straight away all hyper like me as I had no pain at all to begin with. So from 11am to 5pm when I was on the ward min pain and min swelling they put a bandage on for ice really useful as soon as u remember ask them to swap it to a tubi grip bandage more comfy and doesnt dig in. From 5 onwards it hurt a lot be prepared the drugs are okay just try and sleep asap you won't be able to eat soft food but they will give you milk drinks ensure plus really good (send you home with a tray of them) coughed up blood well spat it out all normal as I asked five different people you will feel sick just adjust seating posistion and sit on floor for a but really helps.

Day 2 - horrid swollen no longer feeling happy was given the okay to go at 5 pm take codeine from them keep reminding them your in pain. Most swelling occurs keep ice pack on. Mr saeed the surgeon said this is me at mist swelling from tomorrow should shrink again. Only allowed cold fluids nothing warm. Try to sit sleeping not laying down or lay with three pillows as reduces swelling..if you wana see pictures let me know. Will post most days so you can see when swelling goes. Day two swelling wise is hell not only do you blow up but it hurts a lot!!

Days 2-4-ish were the worst after surgery for me, if I remember rightly. I did the same as you with sleeping sitting up for the first few days.

Good luck with your recovery, it will be worth it. :smile:
Original post by Liv1204

Thanks so much.

Day 2 night.. not fun at all kept gettung woken and ice packs kept falling of. Managed to eat baby bowl of pureed chicken noodles.. wasn't great. Going to stick to milkshakes and smoothies

Day 3 just woke up feel like a weight is in my mouth, very dry lips and sore joint bones. feeling sick but hungry lol. Going to brush my teeth with baby brush today yesterday used sponge they gave with toothpaste and mouth wash.
Still look like an ugly hippo hopefully should start to reduce. Pain gone from upper face only on lower jaw and joints. Been give an exercise where I slide my bottom jaw teeth to meet my top to strengthen muscles ... Hurting like hell this morning. Very fat lip still but not like yesterday tht was too jokes

If anyone has any questions do let me know

Original post by Liv1204
Days 2-4-ish were the worst after surgery for me, if I remember rightly. I did the same as you with sleeping sitting up for the first few days.

Heya could you suggest some foods to eat. I'm really struggling eating anything with a spoon apart from yoghurt but I'm also really fussy..any suggestions would be great

Heya could you suggest some foods to eat. I'm really struggling eating anything with a spoon apart from yoghurt but I'm also really fussy..any suggestions would be great

Hey :smile:
I had double jaw surgery (top and bottom) just over 3 weeks ago!! For the first few days i just stuck with trying to have as many of the special milkshakes that they give you but pretty soon i got bored of them.
After about half a week i started to get my mum to put some plain complan powder (can get it at tesco's&sainsburys or just pharmacies) into soup in order to make it give you more calories etc and then blend it and heat it for 30 seconds or so in the microwave. You can also get other flavours like chicken that you just add water/milk too that are okay. So you can have like minestrone soup with the noodles and things but blend it and then i drink it out of a bottle that you can squeeze. The Yazoo or Mars drinks bottles are really good because you can just lie back and squeeze the drink. Also try thin custard and thin semolina again in a squeezy bottle!!
I also discovered that any juices that come in cartons are genius cause i still can't suck from a straw but with these you just lie back and squeeze them and the liquid will just seep through. And frubes are good too because i found a small gap in my teeth and then just squeezed and hoped for the best.
Anyway, good luck with your recovery and if you want to know anything feel free to inbox me or just ask my questions here :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 58

Hiya, I can't add much to what buttercup94 said above really, but yes, soups are great if you can manage those yet?

For the first couple of days and weeks most of my nutrition was from the build-up milkshakes etc, but soups are probably the best thing at first (although I remember the first time taking 45 minutes to drink a bowl of soup because it was too thick!). I remember eating blended up chicken and vegetables, but I don't remember how long afterwards that was so don't know if that's a bit too thick at the moment?

How would you manage at the moment with just pasta sauces etc but without the actual pasta? I know it's really boring, but anything's a good start!

(Also, not really 'food' but if you like tea, I found tea very very soothing at first, I had constant cups (or beakers :redface:) throughout the day because it was nice to have something warmer).
Heya guys thanks for the food advice its helped a lot. Mum made some mash but runny mash with cheese. I am using a tiny tiny spoon it makes it easier to eat things. Will try some of the things you have all suggested ... Main problem is getting frustrated when eating its taking soooo long to eat. My stitches are really annoying me today!!! On the plus side swelling already going so looking good. Just very inpatient :/

Latest