The Student Room Group
University logo
Abertay University

Who's going to Abertay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey.

I will be coming to Abertay this year and was just wondering if because I need to fulfill my conditional before I can apply for accommodation, will this affect my chances of getting a place? Like does the student accommodation usually fill up quickly with people with unconditionals and is there a chance I will not get a space? I plan on applying for Alloway halls (because it is the cheapest) :P
University logo
Abertay University
Reply 21
Original post by GG01
Hey.

I will be coming to Abertay this year and was just wondering if because I need to fulfill my conditional before I can apply for accommodation, will this affect my chances of getting a place? Like does the student accommodation usually fill up quickly with people with unconditionals and is there a chance I will not get a space? I plan on applying for Alloway halls (because it is the cheapest) :P

You should be ok - I had a conditional offer and got a space no problem, and we had less halls then than now.
Reply 22
Yeah I came in on a conditional too and got my first choice property, as long as you're quick on the draw you'll have no bother at all. I think maybe English students (as they get results later) who hung around for a week or 2 are the only ones likely to struggle if anyone does
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey!

If you have a conditional offer for Abertay, can you still put a deposit down for accommadation? Also, if you dont get in because of your grades, would you be able to get a refund! and i really wanna know which place is the best accommadation for 1st year students - partying, close to the town and close to abertay uni!?

Many Thanks! :smile:
Reply 24
Not sure about the accommodation deposit but can try and find out!

Opal is your best bet! Closest halls to both uni and clubs, as well as a reputation for partying!
Ahh Thanks :smile:

Opal... hmmm - its the most expensive though :'/ And all the en-suite rooms have Gone, so not cool! lol. The 2nd best Abertay accomdation??

Thanks x
Reply 26
If you plan on having any parties you may well get sick of having to let people in and out of your room to use the En Suite though :wink:

Do make sure that you take a look at where Alloway is with respect to the University on a map is about all I can think of: http://goo.gl/oOuQF
Reply 27
Original post by Brizee

Do make sure that you take a look at where Alloway is with respect to the University on a map is about all I can think of: http://goo.gl/oOuQF

Dear lord, that is a tremendous distance to walk. I think I should invest in a bus pass if I'm staying at Alloway halls..
Reply 28
Probably a good idea, I live somewhere about halfway between the too and walking home gets a bit taxing after a night out for me :P
Reply 29
Original post by skialampas
I may be coming there for MProf Games Development. I'm an animation artist with no industry experience. So I'm kinda worried whether I can cope up,
Don't worry, you'll be fine - my best friend is just finishing off the MProf at the minute - he was the first intake to it - and most of the course are coming straight from the BSc Computer Game Technology with no industry experience either. Won't be long until you have some though - there's always someone in Dundee looking for an artist to subcontract some part time work to! :wink:
Reply 30
oh what I'd give for my own artist, doing my own textures is such a drag :P
Original post by Brizee
oh what I'd give for my own artist, doing my own textures is such a drag :P

Bit random?

Anyway, if I remember right, you're the games dev guy... Probably can't help you with textures (much), but if you ever need them animated... wait 3 years, and I can help you out! :biggrin:
Reply 32
Just proving the point that there is always someone wanting artwork done :P

To be fair I should be fine now *fingers crossed* group project this year :smile:
Does anyone know what the accommodation situation is at the moment, vis a vis what is booked up and where still has spaces?

I'm one of the unlucky few who can't apply until the 18th, and I really wanted to go to Opal, but from what some people have said that looks like a remote possibility...
Reply 34
Original post by caiitlinz
Does anyone know what the accommodation situation is at the moment, vis a vis what is booked up and where still has spaces?

I'm one of the unlucky few who can't apply until the 18th, and I really wanted to go to Opal, but from what some people have said that looks like a remote possibility...

Apparently, Opal is full (however I checked the website and the cheapest dorms are still available, but they might not have updated it). And Alloways (a 30 min walk from the uni >_<) still has spaces. I still have to sort out accommodation too tomorrow :frown:
Original post by ThatEmoKid
Apparently, Opal is full (however I checked the website and the cheapest dorms are still available, but they might not have updated it). And Alloways (a 30 min walk from the uni >_<) still has spaces. I still have to sort out accommodation too tomorrow :frown:

Dammit >:C Let's hope that's just a rumour... I think I'd be alright with alloway but I'd really prefer opal! Is Victoria Chambers open to 1st years too?

Also, which course/year are you going for? c:
Reply 36
Dammit >:C Let's hope that's just a rumour... I think I'd be alright with alloway but I'd really prefer opal! Is Victoria Chambers open to 1st years too?

Also, which course/year are you going for? c:

I'm fine with Alloway! The people i've talked to that's going to that hall seem really nice! :smile: My friend is going into Victoria Chambers, although it's her second year. I read somewhere that first years between 17-19 get Opal 1 & Alloway, and first years between 20-25 get Victoria Chambers. That might not be entirely true though :P.
I'm going into first year Game Design with production management, SO excited!! wbu!? :biggrin:
I'm fine with Alloway! The people i've talked to that's going to that hall seem really nice! :smile: My friend is going into Victoria Chambers, although it's her second year. I read somewhere that first years between 17-19 get Opal 1 & Alloway, and first years between 20-25 get Victoria Chambers. That might not be entirely true though :P.
I'm going into first year Game Design with production management, SO excited!! wbu!? :biggrin:

Hmm, okay. Yeah, Alloway seems alright (and I guess it is a lot cheaper!) I just really liked opal when I visited XD I guess we'll see when it comes to the 18th...

I'm going for Computer Arts c: I guess we'll probably be working together some time in the next four years! XD
Reply 38
Hmm, okay. Yeah, Alloway seems alright (and I guess it is a lot cheaper!) I just really liked opal when I visited XD I guess we'll see when it comes to the 18th...

I'm going for Computer Arts c: I guess we'll probably be working together some time in the next four years! XD

I can't afford either LOL but i'll figure something out :P Aw thats so cool! Will you be doing the same kind of stuff as us then? Working with photoshop and that?
I can't afford either LOL but i'll figure something out :P Aw thats so cool! Will you be doing the same kind of stuff as us then? Working with photoshop and that?

Yes, similar. I think we might be together for the introduction to audio module in 1st year? From what I can tell so far it's going to be some traditional art, lifedrawing etc, along with 3D, animation and digital 2D work.... And some theory XD I can't wait!

Quick Reply

Latest