The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History: Mass Media, Popular culture and social change

Anyone taking or taken this unit?

I was asking if you guys have a feeling or idea of what might come up. My teacher said it might be class or racial attitudes and one more.
Reply 1
Ok]]
But someone should reply to this soon i hope.
Reply 2
My school predicted that race relations would come up last summer and as it didn’t, one can only guess that it’ll come up this year as it last made an appearance in June 2009 as a B question.

Similarly, the role of Women is under tested in my opinion and sexuality and religion has never been tested, so unit 9 on moulding or mirroring attitudes would be a good shout for revision.

Monarchy is another possibility as it seems to be popular, coming up as an A question in Jan '13 and June '11 and as a B question in June '13, Jan '11, and Jan '09. Having come up in 2009, 2011 and 2013 - 2015 would be logical. Along the same sort of line, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Government as well and police has never come up so I’d advise you to revise unit 8 and figures of authority.

Thatcherism is another possibility but a question on Thatcherism and mass media would be pretty easy to answer, just talk about Murdoch buying the media and shows that promote consumerism like Dallas, 90210 and Real Housewives franchise. So skim over the first half of unit 6 but don’t spend too much time on it.

Permissive society is also worth a look at.

Political scandal came up last year in the form of the Iraq Dossier so it is unlikely to be up again. That being said, political scandal seems to be a popular topic and there were questions on it in June ‘12, Jan ‘10 and June ’09 as well as June ’14. So if it does come up, it’ll probably be about the Profumo affair or the Belgrano.

Music and the Beatles in particular have been tested so many times I’m almost certain that Edexcel will give it a break this year.

That Britain 2.0 unit has come up so many times so again I think it’s unlikely. But even if it does, it’s pretty much common knowledge so I wouldn’t bother revising unit 7.

So to conclude, I’d recommend you revised units 4, the first half of 6, 8 and 9. Feel free to avoid units 1, 2, 3 and 7. The chances are there will be a B question on a topic in units 4, 6, 8 or 9 so you should be safe. As for unit 5 on anarchy, personally, I will skim it although it definitely won’t be my main focus as I just don’t like it that much. Although if you have the official textbook there’s a really useful list of tv shows and there influence on women, race, authority, sexuality etc. on page 73.
Reply 3
im also doing this unit. does anyone have nice facts and figures about each topic?

im struggling revising and would appreaciate any help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending