The Student Room Group

KAPLAN UKCAT Course - Worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by eduardopescado
I did the KAPLAN course in Manchester and overall if money isn't a problem then go for it :smile: It isn't the best value for money but I think it did help me quite a bit. The course days aren't really special but they do open your eyes to the fact that the questions are much easier than you might think - personally I believe the 600 questions book to be ridiculously difficult, especially QR and I wouldn't recommend it at all (I don't understand how it got high reviews??). What makes the course worthwhile is the 5 online practice papers! They are very realistic and they definitely helped me get used to the style of questions, layout and time management etc. I can't stress enough how useful they were and they easily give you an edge. This is just my experience but if the course gives you that edge ahead of everybody else then it's worth it in the end! Good luck!!

Is the Kaplan understanding test day book any good?
Reply 61
Original post by 344302
Is the Kaplan understanding test day book any good?

I'd say it's 'okay'. It has a lot of sample questions for each section split into 'easy' questions and 'advanced questions'. Obviously you can use it for more practice but there's probably better sources (online etc.) for sample questions for a cheaper price.
Reply 62
I'd say it's 'okay'. It has a lot of sample questions for each section split into 'easy' questions and 'advanced questions'. Obviously you can use it for more practice but there's probably better sources (online etc.) for sample questions for a cheaper price.

Thanks!
Reply 63
Just wondering when would you go on the course as in how long b4 ur exam should you book?
Reply 64
Original post by pamela124
Just wondering when would you go on the course as in how long b4 ur exam should you book?

Haha I did mine 2 days before but I still think it made a difference! Most people there had a couple of weeks to go over it all which is a good idea, I wouldn't leave it longer than 2 weeks so it's still fresh in your mind, though
Reply 65
Original post by grekoiran
I went to the Blackstone courses as well (both UKCAT and BMAT) and was very impressed - they seem less intent on taking your money and more focussed on getting you into medicine. Did you have Riz (from Imperial) as one of your teachers?

Any ideas when the Blackstone Tutors UKCAT course comes out? Booked the BMAT course and been waiting ages now for the UKCAT course...
Original post by nike141
Any ideas when the Blackstone Tutors UKCAT course comes out? Booked the BMAT course and been waiting ages now for the UKCAT course...

Probably not for a while as testing doesn't start for ages!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
I did the KAPLAN course in Manchester and overall if money isn't a problem then go for it :smile: It isn't the best value for money but I think it did help me quite a bit. The course days aren't really special but they do open your eyes to the fact that the questions are much easier than you might think - personally I believe the 600 questions book to be ridiculously difficult, especially QR and I wouldn't recommend it at all (I don't understand how it got high reviews??). What makes the course worthwhile is the 5 online practice papers! They are very realistic and they definitely helped me get used to the style of questions, layout and time management etc. I can't stress enough how useful they were and they easily give you an edge. This is just my experience but if the course gives you that edge ahead of everybody else then it's worth it in the end! Good luck!!

they now do express KAPLAN courses with video content of 10 hours + 5 practice exams:

http://www.kaptest.co.uk/ukcat/express-course?utm_medium=email&utm_source=marketing&utm_campaign=ukcat&utm_content=expresslaunch

should i do this or classroom in Manchester ??? is better
Original post by ANCH-MED
they now do express KAPLAN courses with video content of 10 hours + 5 practice exams:

http://www.kaptest.co.uk/ukcat/express-course?utm_medium=email&utm_source=marketing&utm_campaign=ukcat&utm_content=expresslaunch

should i do this or classroom in Manchester ??? is better

Generally, classroom is better. Keeps you on your toes! Much easier to switch off with online courses...
Original post by rd1709
When I applied, 4 years ago - I didn't go to the Kaplan courses but I went to the Coma and Blackstone tutors courses - ended up getting 725 in the UKCAT and 4 medicine offers, which with hindsight is partly due to the UKCAT and BMAT courses that I attended.

They seem extortionate at the time, but a few years down the line - you'll really appreciate this small investment.

My personal favorite were the blackstone tutors courses - capped at 10/12 students + not as pricey as the others.

Is Blackstone good enough for UKCAT ? Worth the money ? Do they provide you with their notes ?
Original post by Tanishqa
Is Blackstone good enough for UKCAT ? Worth the money ? Do they provide you with their notes ?

If I remember rightly (and I accept I may be wrong) there was someone on here who posted suggesting and advocating for Blackstone courses. Turned out they were advertising.
Original post by russellwallace
If I remember rightly (and I accept I may be wrong) there was someone on here who posted suggesting and advocating for Blackstone courses. Turned out they were advertising.

Ohkay.. So what do you guys think is better ? Kaplan or Blackstone ?
Ohkay.. So what do you guys think is better ? Kaplan or Blackstone ?

Know nothing about Blackstone. Kaplan are OK. Very expensive. Buy their book and work through it yourself. I know a lot of people who did that and said it was as good.
Know nothing about Blackstone. Kaplan are OK. Very expensive. Buy their book and work through it yourself. I know a lot of people who did that and said it was as good.

I do have their 'Understanding the test day' practice book. But I think a little bit of guidance would be good for me.
I do have their 'Understanding the test day' practice book. But I think a little bit of guidance would be good for me.

I'm talking about their annual publication "Score higher in the UKCAT" Their course is very thorough. I just know a number of students said they could have done the work by themselves with the book. Others, to be fair, thought it was helpful.
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh I have that one too. It seems to be very helpful. Since I already have these two books by Kaplan, I'm not too keen on going on the Kaplan course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to kaplan last year in london where I went to a centre for two days and it was a class of students being taught by a current medical student. It was amazing! The tips and tricks they taught I haven't seen in any books even their own book. You get given a pack with questiona dns answers and the tips as well. I ended up scoring 730 overall with 900 in non verbal (which they gave th best advice for) and 880 in decision making. I would definitely recommend it!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NightStarz
I went to kaplan last year in london where I went to a centre for two days and it was a class of students being taught by a current medical student. It was amazing! The tips and tricks they taught I haven't seen in any books even their own book. You get given a pack with questiona dns answers and the tips as well. I ended up scoring 730 overall with 900 in non verbal (which they gave th best advice for) and 880 in decision making. I would definitely recommend it!

I do think the quality is very variable. Some centres get a student who, literally, talks through the paperwork and the book. It also depends on the student. Yoy are obviously a very able candidate. You would probably have scored like that by working on your own.

If you feel that guidance is what you need and you can afford it, a course is good. Equally, a few books and A LOT of practice works for the majority of people. Far more applicants DO NOT go to courses than do.
I do think the quality is very variable. Some centres get a student who, literally, talks through the paperwork and the book. It also depends on the student. Yoy are obviously a very able candidate. You would probably have scored like that by working on your own.

If you feel that guidance is what you need and you can afford it, a course is good. Equally, a few books and A LOT of practice works for the majority of people. Far more applicants DO NOT go to courses than do.

I should add that I did the course quite late so after I had gone through books and during the test I only used the tips and tricks they taught us at the Kaplan course. Yes our student went through the book and we all had to answer a question then we would go through it as a class if it was wrong. They showed us the technique and then we applied it. Ideally you would want a book with just those tips but unfortunately I don't think It exists!
Hi. I'm new to TSR but panicking! UKCAT in 2 weeks. I did the Kaplan course and have been doing the practice tests. Getting 2400 to 2500 so 600-625. I want to go to Newcastle and think that's too low. Those who've done the tests, are they representative? Will my score go up in the actual thing?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending