The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Deluxe/Double rooms?

So I'm firming Sheffield soon, and looking at accomodation I would really like a room with a bigger bed (I'm a figity sleeper and I'd want my friends to be able to sleep over without having to crash on the floor) but I'm not sure where.

I looked at the Victoria Hall which is mostly SHU students, but other students can apply. I can get a double bed ensuite for just under £4000 and it's only 15 minutes from campus. There's a max of five people in a flat, and you get sky in the living area. The kitchens are all renovated and it looks awesome. I'm just worried I'll be missing out on the action, and being with students from at least my university.
(http://www.victoriahall.com/sheffield.html)

The other option is a Deluxe room in Endcliffe, which puts me in with action and people I'll know well. Only thing is it's around £5000 which is a big difference. Around ten in a flat with a smaller kitchen and it's a longer walk to campus.

Anyone got any experiences or thoughts on either of them?

TL: DR - Deluxe room in Endcliffe or Deluxe room in Victoria Hall?
I really wouldn't go for Hallam accomodation, if you want a deluxe room apply to Endcliffe. You would miss out on the social side of things and your uni 'experience' would be different. If you can't afford a deluxe room in Endcliffe, get a normal one...the difference isn't really worth the cost (especially if you don't have the money) and your friends will be staying over for one night at a time so I'm sure they will cope with the floor. When I lived at Endcliffe people took the sofas into their rooms for their friends to sleep on or they shared their (single) bed with their friend. And btw the beds in the deluxe rooms are 3/4s, not doubles!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Definitely don't go to Hallam accommodation! So much of my social life in first year was based on the fact that everyone lives so close, if you're not there you will miss out on that, and it's really not worth it for the sake of a cheaper double bed!
Reply 3
You could try somewhere like Opal for a deluxe room. Opal 2 (i think) is right next to the uni.

In my experience, endcliffe is a lot louder and livelier than opal. Personally if I had my time again I would have chosen opal. But I'm quite a quiet person.
I really would say its not worth going in Victoria Halls. My friend was in there two years ago and found she met alot less people that way. Endcliffe is great fun, and seriously being in a single bed won't affect your life. Yes its annoying but Freshers year is about so much more than the size of your bed.
Also you say sharing with 10+ people but that's not true. Often delux flats are smaller and places like Millstone have 5-6 people, Howden has 8 per flat. Also the walk is negligable and is quite fun because you often get coursemates who are walking the same way every day and you actually make friends through it - well I did!
opal has full size doubles, but it is pretty quiet here - well, my flat is. there are some people who go out a lot in my building! but generally I'd say it being quiet was true
you need to decide whether you're a going out a lot kind of person, and whether the larger bed is more important than than or not :smile:
I'm currently living in a deluxe room in Endcliffe and I definitely think it is worth it!! Endcliffe is great for freshers as it really is a little village in which everyone is in the same boat and there are lots of Endcliffe events specifically for the residents, whereas going to Opal could mean you live with second years who perhaps won't want to go out to all the freshers events, and Opal does not seem to be as community based.
In my flat, and the rest of the flats in my block there is only five of us not ten and our kitchen/lounge is a decent size.
My walk to uni is around 15 to 20 minutes depending where I am which isn't really a lot. And also if I am having a lazy/hungover day, the bus is right at the top of the road, and is only 50p for students

Of course I'm biased, but of all the people I have spoken to who do not live in Endcliffe, the majority of them wished they had chosen it

Hope I helped :smile:
The Endcliffe deluxe room, for some reason, has a gigantic bathroom. I mean GIGANTIC. With no extra shelving....why anyone would want that I have no idea. It has very little extra space in the actual bedroom when the double bed is taken into account. Would've been far more practical to have more floor space.

I know nothing about Victoria Hall but if you are thinking about Opal, their deluxe room has a lot more floor space than the standard room/deluxe in Endcliffe because they kept the bathroom the same size as the standard one (i.e. small but cosy).
Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
The Endcliffe deluxe room, for some reason, has a gigantic bathroom. I mean GIGANTIC. With no extra shelving....why anyone would want that I have no idea. It has very little extra space in the actual bedroom when the double bed is taken into account. Would've been far more practical to have more floor space.

I know nothing about Victoria Hall but if you are thinking about Opal, their deluxe room has a lot more floor space than the standard room/deluxe in Endcliffe because they kept the bathroom the same size as the standard one (i.e. small but cosy).

Are you sure it wasn't a disabled access room?
Original post by -honeybee-
Are you sure it wasn't a disabled access room?

Pretty sure it wasn't, disabled rooms are always on the first floor aren't they? This was on the fourth floor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending