The Student Room Group

Should I do further maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by bomberdoom
why is that Economics is not preferred or useful?:confused:

Whilst economics A-level is not essential by any means it is considered preferred or useful preparation by a lot of university. It definitely is preferred by most courses (once you have Maths and for the top five, further maths.). Universities would rather you did economics than almost all other subjects (after maths) as it shows you are committed and that you already have a good idea of what economics entails. However I personally think that the economics A-level is very straight-forward so I get bored with it, a subject like History or English literature would probably be more useful in the long-run as you could probably teach yourself what you needed to know from economics A-level over summer.
Reply 21
Original post by sqwerty
too late hah

Don't worry you have good subjects, just make sure you read lots of books relating to economics and give a reason for not taking it in your personal statement.
Reply 22
Original post by sqwerty

Original post by sqwerty
too late hah

oh
well it shouldnt be a huge disadvantage
i dont know how admissions work but if there was two candidates, ceteris paribus and one had a level economics, i think the one with economics might have a slight advantage?
Reply 23
Original post by bomberdoom
All of 2 years material in a few weeks of the degree:confused:?

The thing is, though, that when you get to university, you realise A-Level covers very little content. Obviously there is overlap between A-Level and first year modules in micro and macro, but whereas at A-Level you have five hours a week and go over the content ad infinitum to ensure you get close to 100%, at university they talk at you, give few real life examples to help you understand better, and cover lots of things in the same lecture. At A-Level, you'd have one hour for each of demand, supply, equilibrium, PPF, scarcity, and opportunity cost, whereas at university they'd cover all that in one hour or less even.
Reply 24
Original post by eco123

Original post by eco123
Hello I'm in year 12 and doing maths economic chem and geography. I wud like to know if I shud do further maths next year. Got AA in jan exams. Shud I try and do further maths a2 in a year and wot modules should I take. I want to do an economics degree. Also wot extra economics actvities r there todo. Thanks.

Top 5 institution for Economics = A2 Further maths at least AS level Further maths

Below top 5 - A*/A grade in mathematics should suffice

As well as an excellent Personal Statement.
Reply 25
Original post by Milan.
oh
well it shouldnt be a huge disadvantage
i dont know how admissions work but if there was two candidates, ceteris paribus and one had a level economics, i think the one with economics might have a slight advantage?

Probably, but it won't be the first thing they look at, I guess it would only matter if the two candidates were almost identical which is unlikely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending