The Student Room Group

Accepting an unconditional offer...while in another uni?

My situation is a bit complicated but I'll try to explain it as much as I can:

I'm currently a first year student. In January I began to get fed up with the course I'm studying, and being originally interested in computer science I re-applied to universities through UCAS 2011 (while still at uni).

A few days ago I got an unconditional offer which I'm willing to accept. However, as I am very near the end of my first year at my current uni, I feel it would be a good idea to at least finish this year rather than leave a giant hole in my CV.

As I applied through UCAS very late I have till the 6th of June to respond to my offers. However, my final exam is on the 15th! I was wondering if I'd be able to get away with accepting my unconditional offer and still be allowed to stay on at my current uni till the end of the year (i.e. 15th of June).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
if you accept it, the university you're currently at would be none the wiser and would probably not find out untill you didn't re-enrol for next year
Original post by Dreizhen
As I applied through UCAS very late I have till the 6th of June to respond to my offers. However, my final exam is on the 15th! I was wondering if I'd be able to get away with accepting my unconditional offer and still be allowed to stay on at my current uni till the end of the year (i.e. 15th of June).

The uni you're at aren't going to know; besides, you are absolutely allowed to accept an unconditional offer from Uni A whilst attending Uni B, so even if they did know, they either wouldn't care (most likely) or, in the event they did care, wouldn't be able to do anything.
Reply 3
Original post by TheSownRose
The uni you're at aren't going to know; besides, you are absolutely allowed to accept an unconditional offer from Uni A whilst attending Uni B, so even if they did know, they either wouldn't care (most likely) or, in the event they did care, wouldn't be able to do anything.

really? that's great.

Also I've only just remembered Student Finance - would I still be eligible for a tuition+maintenance loan after transferring unis?
Reply 4
really? that's great.

Also I've only just remembered Student Finance - would I still be eligible for a tuition+maintenance loan after transferring unis?

Yes you get the normal loans and grant for a maximum of 4 years
Reply 5
My situation is a bit complicated but I'll try to explain it as much as I can:

I'm currently a first year student. In January I began to get fed up with the course I'm studying, and being originally interested in computer science I re-applied to universities through UCAS 2011 (while still at uni).

A few days ago I got an unconditional offer which I'm willing to accept. However, as I am very near the end of my first year at my current uni, I feel it would be a good idea to at least finish this year rather than leave a giant hole in my CV.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Of course you can still stay. Not only will the university be unaware but, even if they were, you are not breaking any rule or condition of study. If you complete this year then you should be entitled to a qualification, usually a Certificate of Higher Education, to take with you.

You are entitled to funding for the full length of your degree plus an extra year as a "false start". This past year has been your false start so you will still be entitled to funding for the length of your next degree,

Funding can be extended even further but usually only in cases of illness (which mean you have to repeat a year).
You could even, should you change your mind, decide to withdraw from UCAS and remain at your current university for the remainder of your course.
Hey, TC, can I ask you what course you were originally doing as well as Uni? I'm attempting to do the same thing (switching to comp sci).
Reply 8
Original post by Good bloke
You could even, should you change your mind, decide to withdraw from UCAS and remain at your current university for the remainder of your course.

...huh.

So could I accept an unconditional offer right now, and continue with this year, and then withdraw from UCAS if I decide to stay?
...huh.

So could I accept an unconditional offer right now, and continue with this year, and then withdraw from UCAS if I decide to stay?

Think of it as simply applying to university the first time.
Reply 10
Original post by dodgymonkey
Think of it as simply applying to university the first time.

...I'm assuming this means when applying through UCAS you can even withdraw after accepting an unconditional offer, in which case whoop whoop
...I'm assuming this means when applying through UCAS you can even withdraw after accepting an unconditional offer, in which case whoop whoop

Yes. The fact that you're in uni now means you can either continue the course and withdraw from the unconditional offer you've got or exit the course and take up the new one. The only way you couldn't withdraw and get something different was if you were in UCAS and had declined all your other offers but changed your mind to go to one of the declined choices (not even worth reading that, it's irrelevant but idc.)

Just to be safe though I wouldn't leave it until 1 day before your unconditional offer course starts or 1 day before your current uni year 2 starts, they may want you to give them some monies for wasting their time. Doubt it but I'd make your decision in the next few months, at least before student finance is closed so you can apply for that on time and get it processed for September.
...huh.

Exactly.
Reply 13
That's awesome. Thanks so much guys.
Does anyone know the address where the results are supposed to be sent? Or how does UCAS get out exam results and sends them to unis? Good old paper post?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending