The Student Room Group

Geography AQA A2 Unit 4B

Got the pre-release for the Unit 4B exam. Based on the Bangladeshi Cyclone 'Aila'. Need some help on what kind of questions may come up based upon the pre-release, and someone to discuss the text with ! :colone: Please post :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not quite sure what you're on about, but it seems like you're doing the same AQA A2 Geog paper as me this summer?

Erm my input: If you're on about doing the weather and climate topic as the 'big 40 marker' make sure you have at least two case studies to compare. One from an LEDC and one from a MEDC.

We've been told that you need to give general background info on the events that led up to the the event, compare and contrast the warning and preparation schemes for the event, damage caused, the schemes put in place to prevent/reduce damage in the future. Ideally you should have some other case studies to bulk it up.

One question our teacher set us was, 'With reference to two or more case studies, discuss the impact storm systems have had upon human settlement.' Personally I think the exam questions will be a bit harder and much more 'wordy' than that.

So basically I'm going to compare everything about what happened when Katrina struck the Gulf Coast, with Cyclones Sidr and Aila, using the recent evens in Queensland to bulk it up. :smile:
Hope all that helps a little.

Btw, if you're doing the same exam as me, what other case studies are you using for all the other topics in the syllabus? :smile:
Original post by Francescamiller
Got the pre-release for the Unit 4B exam. Based on the Bangladeshi Cyclone 'Aila'. Need some help on what kind of questions may come up based upon the pre-release, and someone to discuss the text with ! :colone: Please post :smile:

Hi- I'm doing the same one. Just reading though it at the mo so will subscribe to this for when I know it a bit more and can post something helpful!:smile:
Original post by Zenmatters
I'm not quite sure what you're on about, but it seems like you're doing the same AQA A2 Geog paper as me this summer?

Erm my input: If you're on about doing the weather and climate topic as the 'big 40 marker' make sure you have at least two case studies to compare. One from an LEDC and one from a MEDC.

We've been told that you need to give general background info on the events that led up to the the event, compare and contrast the warning and preparation schemes for the event, damage caused, the schemes put in place to prevent/reduce damage in the future. Ideally you should have some other case studies to bulk it up.

One question our teacher set us was, 'With reference to two or more case studies, discuss the impact storm systems have had upon human settlement.' Personally I think the exam questions will be a bit harder and much more 'wordy' than that.

So basically I'm going to compare everything about what happened when Katrina struck the Gulf Coast, with Cyclones Sidr and Aila, using the recent evens in Queensland to bulk it up. :smile:
Hope all that helps a little.

Btw, if you're doing the same exam as me, what other case studies are you using for all the other topics in the syllabus? :smile:

Hey :smile: Im talking about Unit 4B, its an issue evaluation paper - seperate to the Unit 3 Exam. I unit 3 I've studied Plate tectonics, Ecosystems and World Cities.
World cities im using case studies such as Liverpool, Bluewater shopping centre, Nottinghill for gentrification. Haven't really learnt them yet LOL, :smile: Ty for the reply!
Reply 4
I'm doing the 4B in the summer exams also. We are looking at in now including possible questions to be asked. My teacher said to make sure that you look at the websites in the the AIB WHO, WFO etc etc...
One thing we are unsure about is the table on page 7 and why the blank gaps ? I recon it is the fact that the results were drawn up too soon after the cyclone and the data had not been collected yet or that some areas didn't actually collate any infomation.. Anybody any ideas on this topic?

It's very text heavy this booklet compared to the belfast one in the January exams so maybe its just a learn and churn one :s-smilie:
I really need help with the GEOG4B , I have done A2 already, I'm only resitting the 4B, I don't really get much help as I don't have geography lessons anymore.
I haven't even received the pre release yet, I just want to ask if it would be a problem if I didn't do weather & climate for Unit 3, I didn't do Geography GCSE either, so I have no clue about cyclones, hurricanes....
I really need a B in this to get my overall A grade, I did it this January, got the same mark as June 10, I just don't seem to answer the questions properly
Reply 6
Original post by DarkWarrior

I haven't even received the pre release yet, I just want to ask if it would be a problem if I didn't do weather & climate for Unit 3, I didn't do Geography GCSE either, so I have no clue about cyclones, hurricanes....

Hmmm, not sure as i haven't properly discussed this in class yet but a lot of the info in here is to do with more human aspects (impacts, response etc) than physical... not sure if you'll need to know background on cyclones/hurricanes but probably won't hurt to look it up? Physical processes are usually 'straightforward/by-the-book' to learn (but retaining the info is a difficult part for me!)
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by massey43
I recon it is the fact that the results were drawn up too soon after the cyclone and the data had not been collected yet or that some areas didn't actually collate any infomation.. Anybody any ideas on this topic?

I never really thought about it before you mentioned it, I just sort of assumed it was because it's 0, although thinking more about it now, the final column (from a later date) has higher numbers of deaths/injuries than in the rest of the table, so it means that since the time that the information was being collected originally people originally classified as missing have now been confirmed dead etc. I'll mention it to my teacher tomorrow and see what he says but I don't think it's really relevant anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by jt_111
Hmmm, not sure as i haven't properly discussed this in class yet but a lot of the info in here is to do with more human aspects (impacts, response etc) than physical... not sure if you'll need to know background on cyclones/hurricanes but probably won't hurt to look it up? Physical processes are usually 'straightforward/by-the-book' to learn (but retaining the info is a difficult part for me!)
Hope that helps :smile:

Oh another thing i found online from a course on 4B somebody attended:
"The Process of Issue Evaluation
This demands the development of the range of geographical skills, knowledge and understanding identified in the Specification.
This one links to health (AS) and cities (A2), but this is just the context. There is no need to review content of that module; stick to the pre-release and linked content.
However if content was glaciations you would need to examine main features and shape of landscape (no need to have detailed understanding of processes).
Teachers are to extend content by looking at a issue. "

Here's the link: http://www.slideshare.net/gceyre/notes-from-a2-unit-4b-course
Reply 9
Here are some of the questions that my teacher's came up with, would appreciate some other question ideas though :smile:

*Using evidence from the booklet and further research assess the extent to which the aims stated by the DfiD have been achieved
*Why is Bangladesh susceptible to natural disasters
*To what extent can international agencies lift people out of extreme poverty and reduce vulnerability to the effects of climate change
*How may the accuracy of data such as that provided in Figure P2 affect responses?
*Comment on whether mangrove conservation is a viable solution to reduce impacts of cyclones in Bangladesh
Reply 10
Just wondering if anyone could kindly send me a copy of the pre-release.
Reply 11
Sorry, have been concentrating on Geog Unit 3. Will post some ideas next week!
Original post by Nicknak256

*How may the accuracy of data such as that provided in Figure P2 affect responses?

how would you answer that question?

we have just concentrated on the DflD and how affective their schemes have been in reducing the impacts on cyclone

only had two lessons on this before we broke up, 2 days to learn all about it wooo!
Original post by kittyminkyx

we have just concentrated on the DflD and how affective their schemes have been in reducing the impacts on cyclone

only had two lessons on this before we broke up, 2 days to learn all about it wooo!

Same pretty much :frown:

thinks its about how aid will be distributed between the areas and how the west will need it more probably cos it's closer to it, and travelling times to get it to the east and blah :/
Reply 14
[QUOTE="kittyminkyx;32181428"]how would you answer that question?

QUOTE]

Original post by Killsworth

thinks its about how aid will be distributed between the areas and how the west will need it more probably cos it's closer to it, and travelling times to get it to the east and blah :/

Or that there are some gaps? So maybe it's because they couldn't access the area to get data... so for response it's more difficult cos of accessibility reasons?? Or that because they dont kow the extent of damage so cannot respond effectively... does that make sense?
[QUOTE="jt_111;32183274"]
Original post by kittyminkyx

QUOTE]

Or that there are some gaps? So maybe it's because they couldn't access the area to get data... so for response it's more difficult cos of accessibility reasons?? Or that because they dont kow the extent of damage so cannot respond effectively... does that make sense?

yeah, when i quoted it to write, i didnt get the quote and just remembered end bit lol
Reply 16
[QUOTE="Killsworth;32184039"]
Original post by jt_111

yeah, when i quoted it to write, i didnt get the quote and just remembered end bit lol

What? Sorry not following...
[QUOTE="jt_111;32184299"]
Original post by Killsworth

What? Sorry not following...

yes, i agree with you* :smile:
Any ideas for synoptic stuff from AS and A2, i've got very very litlle :/
Anyone able to find january 2011 4b or june 2010, i can't find it D: or the mark scheme either, damn scribd

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending