The Student Room Group

OCR B Salters - F335 Exam - 15 June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by pav
yeah i thought it would be something like that. So if this question is asked in the exam when you circle the group should we also explain at the bottom why we have circled this particular thing, becuase im thinking of circling just the Ndouble bond N and two arene rings

I don't think you'd have to explain why... I'd have thought the mark scheme would be to circle the benzene rings and the N to N bond, and it would probably accept if you circled any groups containing delocalised electrons
Hey, I was looking at a question about the proton nmr of glycerol. Am I right in saying there are 5 proton environments?

Also, for June 2010 paper qu 2d it says t-butanol has instantaneous dipole induced dipole bonds. I would have thought that it woul;d have been hydrogen bonding between the molecules. :frown:
Reply 83
Original post by supernovainthesky
Hey, I was looking at a question about the proton nmr of glycerol. Am I right in saying there are 5 proton environments?

I thought glycerol has 4 environments. There are 2 CH2 groups, one at the top of the molecule and one at the bottom. This is one environment. Both of these groups are attached to an OH group which is another environment. Then the CH group in the middle of the molecule is a third environment and the OH attached to it a fourth. Not completely sure though just how I would do it. Can anyone confirm please. :smile:
Reply 84
Just came across something on the spec I have NO idea about

Its the uses of ionic liquids. Can someone please explain it to me please. Its come up in an exam before but you just had to define what an ionic liquid is.

thanks
Reply 85
Original post by tkoki1993
Just came across something on the spec I have NO idea about

Its the uses of ionic liquids. Can someone please explain it to me please. Its come up in an exam before but you just had to define what an ionic liquid is.

thanks

I think it means the friedal crafts reactions taking place on ionic liquids as combination solvent catalyst systems. This reduces flamability, solvent emissions allows reactions to take place at lower temperatures and allows any waste materials to be recycled easily. It mentions it in the salters revision guide if you have it.
Do we have to know the born haber cycle or can we use the other simpler enthalpy diagram?

Also Kp and Ksp are no longer in the specification right?
Reply 87
Original post by zahre
I think it means the friedal crafts reactions taking place on ionic liquids as combination solvent catalyst systems. This reduces flamability, solvent emissions allows reactions to take place at lower temperatures and allows any waste materials to be recycled easily. It mentions it in the salters revision guide if you have it.

oh right thanks.
What page of the revision guide is it on?
Reply 88
Original post by MyJunkIsYou
Do we have to know the born haber cycle or can we use the other simpler enthalpy diagram?

For most calculation questions, you get full marks if you write just the answer, so I would use whatever enthalpy diagram im comfortable with.
and yeah Kp and Ksp aren't in the spec anymore.. I just did an old syllabus paper and had a mini heart attack when they came up lol
Original post by zahre
I thought glycerol has 4 environments. There are 2 CH2 groups, one at the top of the molecule and one at the bottom. This is one environment. Both of these groups are attached to an OH group which is another environment. Then the CH group in the middle of the molecule is a third environment and the OH attached to it a fourth. Not completely sure though just how I would do it. Can anyone confirm please. :smile:

Yeah thanks I see it! I accidentally put each of the H atoms on the CH2 as being in a different environment :frown:
Reply 90
oh right thanks.
What page of the revision guide is it on?

Page 59
Reply 91
Original post by zahre
Page 59

thanks
Reply 92
1 and 1/2 days to cover F335. It's squeaky bum time now.
Reply 93
Original post by gozatron
1 and 1/2 days to cover F335. It's squeaky bum time now.

what exactly is squeaky bum time
Reply 94

what exactly is squeaky bum time

Phrase for "it's a tense time" haha :teeth:
Reply 95

Kp and Ksp aren't on the specification, and neither is the born-haber cycle.
Do we have to know about atomic emission spectrums? The questions in the legacy papers include it when talking about paints. Because didn't we do that in the very first AS unit? and I definately made a mental note to never talk about electrons falling when it's those "why is a coloured and b colourless questions" because it cons most of the marks.
Reply 97
Do we have to know about atomic emission spectrums? The questions in the legacy papers include it when talking about paints. Because didn't we do that in the very first AS unit? and I definately made a mental note to never talk about electrons falling when it's those "why is a coloured and b colourless questions" because it cons most of the marks.

Yeah you do have to know about atomic emission spectrum. There was a question in the jan 11 paper where it asks you to draw it out and explain why the spectrum for each element is different.
Reply 98
Original post by gozatron
Phrase for "it's a tense time" haha :teeth:

ahhh right... I thought it meant something... COMPLETELY different..... squeaky bum...
Reply 99
Does anyone have a copy of jan 11 paper please? :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending