The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ily_em

Spoiler

Original post by forsaken_earth
x

thank you both x
Original post by TotoMimo
I don't want to ruffle any feathers but nobody should be discouraged from posting here for ANY reason, so long as it's for the purpose of encouraging recovery or asking advice on how to recover from your own eating disorders.

Squiff, I agree with DestroyViruses, you've already taken MANY of the first steps. It gets scarier and steeper from here.

I personally had a "panic week". I was told to eat 2000 calories and drink fortisips on top of that. I did what I was supposed to, but subconsciously sabotaged myself by MAKING reasons to be more active.

"Oh, gran needs shopping done. I'll go get it for her."
"Oh, I need to set up my other gran's new telly."

At my weigh-in today, I've gone from BMI of 15.6 to 15.3 in one week, and that's WITH my new calorie intake. I cried, I had no idea that even despite eating what I was supposed to, I was sabotaging my own recovery through this ED's sneak tactics and my own weak will.

What I'm saying is, your ED is just as sly and as cruel a liar as I, as you, as we all have become. But you're kidding nobody but yourself. I did this to myself. I just conditioned myself to believe that, as I was taking in more cals, that I could "afford" to do more.

But no. I now have a kidney infection, my bone density scan shows severe osteoperosis (SD of -3.6; osteoperosis is diagnosed at -2.5, 1 or more is normal) and I am now in danger of being re-admitted to the hospital against my will.

This is no life. In one week of self-sabotage I have undone a month of progress. Don't fall into the same trap.

I only post this as explicitly as I do because my therapist does the same to me - doesn't dress it up, doesn't pussyfoot around the issue. Everyone needs to understand how tough a recovery can be, but at the end of the day, don't fall into the traps your own lies you make for yourself construct.

You deserve a life beyond this, guys! XXX

Welldone Tommy, for being so real with yourself. Let's see how gracefully you put those wise words of yours into action! You can do it! xxxx

I'm sorry to hear about your osteoporosis and kidney infection, feel better xx
(edited 12 years ago)
i'm so full i cnt remem re wohat happend rto im to ****ing drunk but imr not eating tmzor thea ry arter i reel rufkd i think i want tto go hopsital bz noting is rogkint but i feel stupid cz imnot actualluy ill i think, i want to kill mhsefl though and i might try ntow whil ei im drunk this cx i know i wont rmemember n thing of this and im gna starve and cutua nd kill
Original post by squiff93
x

Hun, NO! Is there anyone around? Find someone and stay with them. Call thefrigging Samaritans, just do NOT do anything to yourself. :hugs:
Original post by drbluebox
I thought it was a advice thread too? I was wanting help and advice to get better so neg rep isnt the way to do that!

Why don't you ask for advice and put the detail of your restriction in a 'spoiler'. That's what many do here for triggering material.
Original post by floskii
You have to wonder if the people experimented on were able to go back to normal life and having a healthy view of food).

The main findings are as follows: Serious binge eating developed in a subgroup of men, and this tendency persisted in come cases for months after free access to food was reintroduced; however, the majority of men reported gradually returning to eating normal amounts of food after about 5 months of refeeding.

Some never recovered and continued with bizarre food behaviours including bingeing. The factors regarding why some recovered and others didn't remain unknown.
i'm so full i cnt remem re wohat happend rto im to ****ing drunk but imr not eating tmzor thea ry arter i reel rufkd i think i want tto go hopsital bz noting is rogkint but i feel stupid cz imnot actualluy ill i think, i want to kill mhsefl though and i might try ntow whil ei im drunk this cx i know i wont rmemember n thing of this and im gna starve and cutua nd kill

:nope: you're not going to do something stupid because I can tell you are stronger than this :yep: you are - even if you don't know it yet :yep:

Spent the night in hospital and don't plan on going back there for a LONG time. You should let yourself eat today. Not binge, let yourself eat a healthy, controlled ammount of food and you can work up from there.

Very tired so can't write a lot. Anxiety is finally starting to subside now my body has a bit of food so can rest now xx
Original post by Destroyviruses
X

Thanks, :smile: the only person im hurting is myself atm so i'm going to get out of this habit! really for good this time!!!

xx

Original post by diamonddust
X

Original post by Cinamon
X

yeah i'm a dick, woke up in ALOT of pain this morning for several reasons, :frown: also woke up to a nice lecture from my mum as i managed to break half of the kitchen. really really can't remember last night or what led to my actions but i feel like such an idiot, and i really don't trust myself to be drinking again because what i did was just ridiculous and out of the blue.

xx
Original post by TotoMimo
I don't want to ruffle any feathers but nobody should be discouraged from posting here for ANY reason, so long as it's for the purpose of encouraging recovery or asking advice on how to recover from your own eating disorders.

Squiff, I agree with DestroyViruses, you've already taken MANY of the first steps. It gets scarier and steeper from here.

I personally had a "panic week". I was told to eat 2000 calories and drink fortisips on top of that. I did what I was supposed to, but subconsciously sabotaged myself by MAKING reasons to be more active.

"Oh, gran needs shopping done. I'll go get it for her."
"Oh, I need to set up my other gran's new telly."

At my weigh-in today, I've gone from BMI of 15.6 to 15.3 in one week, and that's WITH my new calorie intake. I cried, I had no idea that even despite eating what I was supposed to, I was sabotaging my own recovery through this ED's sneak tactics and my own weak will.

What I'm saying is, your ED is just as sly and as cruel a liar as I, as you, as we all have become. But you're kidding nobody but yourself. I did this to myself. I just conditioned myself to believe that, as I was taking in more cals, that I could "afford" to do more.

But no. I now have a kidney infection, my bone density scan shows severe osteoperosis (SD of -3.6; osteoperosis is diagnosed at -2.5, 1 or more is normal) and I am now in danger of being re-admitted to the hospital against my will.

This is no life. In one week of self-sabotage I have undone a month of progress. Don't fall into the same trap.

I only post this as explicitly as I do because my therapist does the same to me - doesn't dress it up, doesn't pussyfoot around the issue. Everyone needs to understand how tough a recovery can be, but at the end of the day, don't fall into the traps your own lies you make for yourself construct.

You deserve a life beyond this, guys! XXX

i know your not a doctor but i wanted to ask you what i'm meant to be doing. i really struggle with the feeling of being full so i seem to let a normal meal completely get the better of me, i don't know whether what i'm doing to get better is really good enough because i use the whole 'i'm taking it slow' excuse and use it to manipulate situations allowing me to stay the same. the other day when i did pretty well managing to eat often what i ate was so pathetic in terms of calories that i wonder whether it can even mean anything anymore.

am i actually doing the right thing?

xxx
i know your not a doctor but i wanted to ask you what i'm meant to be doing. i really struggle with the feeling of being full so i seem to let a normal meal completely get the better of me, i don't know whether what i'm doing to get better is really good enough because i use the whole 'i'm taking it slow' excuse and use it to manipulate situations allowing me to stay the same. the other day when i did pretty well managing to eat often what i ate was so pathetic in terms of calories that i wonder whether it can even mean anything anymore.

xxx

I have that in an almost reverse sense, back when I was skinny I used to live off just plain spaghetti and if hungry a slice of bread.

I still get "full" on the same amount of food but feel hungry too so its imbalance of some sort.

I struggle to eat food as I feel full even on a few bites but the hunger is seperate if that makes sense.

xxx

Have you tried specific number goals? Rather than "I need to eat more" saying "I'm going to eat atleats x calories today and increase that by y tomorow" And make a graph of your weight on excell, aim to put on a certain amount of weight per week and if you cant then increase calories.

xxx

You cant get tricky if you stick with the numbers!

Best Wishes.
Have you tried specific number goals? Rather than "I need to eat more" saying "I'm going to eat atleats x calories today and increase that by y tomorow" And make a graph of your weight on excell, aim to put on a certain amount of weight per week and if you cant then increase calories.

xxx

Best Wishes.

That may help me though, if you think it will but with the intention to lose weight/organise calories.

As in I keep telling myself I need to eat x amount at x time but I struggle to do so which is why I often dont eat till late evening then eat junk to fill up also because my tastebuds are different at night for obv reasons(during the day I crave a nice meal, at night I just want to snack)
I have that in an almost reverse sense, back when I was skinny I used to live off just plain spaghetti and if hungry a slice of bread.

I still get "full" on the same amount of food but feel hungry too so its imbalance of some sort.

I struggle to eat food as I feel full even on a few bites but the hunger is seperate if that makes sense.

i'm confused, but like if you eat enough then still feel hungry could it be psychological hunger? or do you eat feel full but then feel hungry again soon after? if thats the case maybe your not eating the right sorts of food, like you could eat a bowl of lettuce you'd feel 'full' because your stomach would be, but you wouldn't be full for long because theres not really any stubstance to it or anything to give you more energy and nutrition. if thats the case maybe eat foods that are low on the GI scale because they keep you full for longer, like eggs and apples and fish i think.

xx

xxx

Best Wishes.

yeah thats a good idea! i think it'll stop me freaking out about food aswell if its more controled and written down and calculated i think i'll find it easier to rationalise my thoughts and not to do the things i usually seem to do.

xxx
i'm confused, but like if you eat enough then still feel hungry could it be psychological hunger? or do you eat feel full but then feel hungry again soon after? if thats the case maybe your not eating the right sorts of food, like you could eat a bowl of lettuce you'd feel 'full' because your stomach would be, but you wouldn't be full for long because theres not really any stubstance to it or anything to give you more energy and nutrition. if thats the case maybe eat foods that are low on the GI scale because they keep you full for longer, like eggs and apples and fish i think.

xxx

I am bad at working out what is at fault but I do notice certain foods fill me up more in certain ways i.e when I am craving food but not hungry lets say I had mince and tatties I get far less cravings in the late evening(though still snack)

I sort of feel full every bite I eat even if I hadnt eaten that day but I feel my body "filling up" at same time so one part of me is telling me I am full even though I havent eaten and another is saying I need to eat not necessarily that I am hungry

Dont know what I mean in some senses!

Also I think part of it is similar to why I oversleep sometimes in that the first amount of food I eat is just to fill up, then it becomes about eating something I want so should I get rid of the fill up phase then I would be eating a sensible amount of food.
I am bad at working out what is at fault but I do notice certain foods fill me up more in certain ways i.e when I am craving food but not hungry lets say I had mince and tatties I get far less cravings in the late evening(though still snack)

I sort of feel full every bite I eat even if I hadnt eaten that day but I feel my body "filling up" at same time so one part of me is telling me I am full even though I havent eaten and another is saying I need to eat not necessarily that I am hungry

Dont know what I mean in some senses!

Also I think part of it is similar to why I oversleep sometimes in that the first amount of food I eat is just to fill up, then it becomes about eating something I want so should I get rid of the fill up phase then I would be eating a sensible amount of food.

eat regularly throughout the day that way your less likely to binge or crave food at night, even if you don't feel 'starving' in the day still have something, work out the calories so your not over/undereating and stick to it, that way you will know yhour eating the right amount, it'll regulate your eating patterns because if you get used to eating at certain times your body will get hungry or expect food at those times, it'll probably help your sleeping patterns aswell - although oversleeping sounds like heaven to me!! why would you want to stop that?

x
eat regularly throughout the day that way your less likely to binge or crave food at night, even if you don't feel 'starving' in the day still have something, work out the calories so your not over/undereating and stick to it, that way you will know yhour eating the right amount, it'll regulate your eating patterns because if you get used to eating at certain times your body will get hungry or expect food at those times, it'll probably help your sleeping patterns aswell - although oversleeping sounds like heaven to me!! why would you want to stop that?

x

Well at one point I was sleeping about 12-16 hours a day but now down to about 10 which means I miss a lot of potential good stuff to do, even if its going on a train to another town and walking around.

I started taking some medication for anxiety 6 weeks ago and it has meant I have stuck at 10 and a half hours sleep a day for some reason and more regular sleep pattern(if anything when I want to go to bed say midnight my body keeps me awake till 3am) which I think is a good sign, the only difference is when it gets to late night I need to snack to keep my energy up so I dont feel dizzy etc.

I do notice when at parents who eat at a set time I lose over a stone in about a week but that creeps back on when I come home.
Well at one point I was sleeping about 12-16 hours a day but now down to about 10 which means I miss a lot of potential good stuff to do, even if its going on a train to another town and walking around.

I started taking some medication for anxiety 6 weeks ago and it has meant I have stuck at 10 and a half hours sleep a day for some reason and more regular sleep pattern(if anything when I want to go to bed say midnight my body keeps me awake till 3am) which I think is a good sign, the only difference is when it gets to late night I need to snack to keep my energy up so I dont feel dizzy etc.

I do notice when at parents who eat at a set time I lose over a stone in about a week but that creeps back on when I come home.

i don't know what to suggest, i think you should just be more organised with your eating and you'll find that other things follow

sorry about the crapness of this answer just ****ed up and my heads not really with it :frown:
Hey guys,

I have had an account at TSR for years but hadn't visited for a long while. Decided to randomly come on today as was bored and ironically thought there might be some threads in the food and drink forum I could nosy through. But found my way here via Toto's posts/profile (saw him mention being uw and being obsessed with food so thought 'hmmm' :wink:).

Anyway, I have suffered with an ED for around 10 years now. I am 24. Diagnosed anorexic purging type but behaviours are pretty much bulimic. Also a type one diabetic which is not a good combination of course! That comes into an eating disorder not officially diagnosed atm, but in the media referred to as 'diabulimia' or more ideally, by the charity I work with as ED-DMT1.

I just wanted to really say that I relate so much to the way some of you are struggling in here, and I am proud of you all for fighting against an illness that can be so deceptive. I know how hard it is and some of you are doing so well. I really want to get better, I am so fed up of my disorder but it feels like this is 'what I do' and breaking free is the most daunting thing. Currently on the waiting list for day patient treatment atm after two past unsuccessful IP admissions, as think I really just need to try and get some routine back into my life, and try and fight this full force again. Lately depression has got the worst of me and I've been pretty constant with ED behaviours for a while, it's so exhausting. I've lost a few friends I have known online from their ED's too, and medical complications are indeed catching up with me which is scary. Every-time something bad happens (latest was eye damage caused by long term poor diabetic control), I stop and think 'whoa! I didn't mean for this to happen! I want to live I swear!' but then I just keep on as I am as don't know how else to cope.

Rambling a bit here, apologies! But yeah I really wish you all the best of luck. You all seem like wonderful people who deserve more than life with an ED. Keep going. Keep putting one step in front of the other, you all will and can get there. I may come back and post or I may not (I belong to an online ED forum that provides me with a lot of support anyway), but didn't want to read and not say anything. Much love, Precious Illusions xxx

yeah thats a good idea! i think it'll stop me freaking out about food aswell if its more controled and written down and calculated i think i'll find it easier to rationalise my thoughts and not to do the things i usually seem to do.

xxx

Yeah! Losing control is really hard to deal with so that way you wont be losing control. You'll be as in control as ever except this time it'll be making you healthy!

xxxxxx

Massive hug! You can to it lovey!
That may help me though, if you think it will but with the intention to lose weight/organise calories.

As in I keep telling myself I need to eat x amount at x time but I struggle to do so which is why I often dont eat till late evening then eat junk to fill up also because my tastebuds are different at night for obv reasons(during the day I crave a nice meal, at night I just want to snack)

So it really is just a matter of self-disipline and identifying why don't eat at proper times, do you write this down. It'll make you want to do it more if you write it down.

If you oversleep and miss a meal , that's it you missed it. You'll just have to wait for the next meal.

xxx All the best.

Quick Reply

Latest