The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Destroyviruses
So it really is just a matter of self-disipline and identifying why don't eat at proper times, do you write this down. It'll make you want to do it more if you write it down.

If you oversleep and miss a meal , that's it you missed it. You'll just have to wait for the next meal.

xxx All the best.

Not sure if I should spolier this

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by drbluebox
Not sure if I should spolier this

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah! Losing control is really hard to deal with so that way you wont be losing control. You'll be as in control as ever except this time it'll be making you healthy!

xxxxxx

Massive hug! You can to it lovey!

thankyou for your confidence, i hope your right.

i feel like a dieter with the whole - i'll do it tomorrow, i'll start tomorrow, i'll change tomorrow attutide that i seem to adopt daily after each time i mess up. i just always seem to decide to change but never manage to succeed or last more than a day perhaps. i don't understand why i feel like i've become such a victim of it all recently, i'm fed up of fighting this loosing battle!

xxx
Reply 1043
Not gonna lie, it's been a **** **** **** few days. I don't know why, I thought I was getting better but now I realise I was kidding myself - kept intending to eat, as if that was just as good as actually getting round to the eating itself. Fainted on Friday, which was annoying as it meant I was running really late so genuinely didn't have time to eat anything, and again on Saturday... I know I should be taking this as a hint that I could really eat a bit more but I keep thinking that I've eaten when I haven't. Like genuinely forgetting meals, I don't have any intention to lose weight I just keep thinking I've eaten when I haven't.

This morning I was doing my physio and I realised that there is really no way I could ever reconcile myself with having a larger body. I just can't ever imagine living with more 'fat' - it seems impossible that I wouldn't come to a point where I relapsed again. I feel like I'm trapped in this stupid cycle, I was trying so hard for so long and now it feels like I'm subconsciously sabotaging all my best efforts. I keep reading all the psychological bits on this thread that people keep pointing out, so I now know that I won't be capable of logical thinking until I'm at a healthy weight, yet I can't reconcile myself with getting to a healthy weight to start off with.

Sorry for the whinging but I don't know what to do, I can't see a way out; for all of my own positive thinking I can't actually seem to implement any of it :frown:
Original post by Kebabbi
Not gonna lie, it's been a **** **** **** few days. I don't know why, I thought I was getting better but now I realise I was kidding myself - kept intending to eat, as if that was just as good as actually getting round to the eating itself. Fainted on Friday, which was annoying as it meant I was running really late so genuinely didn't have time to eat anything, and again on Saturday... I know I should be taking this as a hint that I could really eat a bit more but I keep thinking that I've eaten when I haven't. Like genuinely forgetting meals, I don't have any intention to lose weight I just keep thinking I've eaten when I haven't.

This morning I was doing my physio and I realised that there is really no way I could ever reconcile myself with having a larger body. I just can't ever imagine living with more 'fat' - it seems impossible that I wouldn't come to a point where I relapsed again. I feel like I'm trapped in this stupid cycle, I was trying so hard for so long and now it feels like I'm subconsciously sabotaging all my best efforts. I keep reading all the psychological bits on this thread that people keep pointing out, so I now know that I won't be capable of logical thinking until I'm at a healthy weight, yet I can't reconcile myself with getting to a healthy weight to start off with.

Sorry for the whinging but I don't know what to do, I can't see a way out; for all of my own positive thinking I can't actually seem to implement any of it :frown:

:hugs:
Have a look at this. It's a blog by this really amazing girl who considers herself in remission. http://giantfossilizedarmadillo.com/diy-recovery/body/
With regards to the subconscious sabotaging thing, :yup: . I've been thinking about self sabotage lately and I think what I'm afraid of is succeeding. Failure sucks and I'm terrified of failing (hence this summer being so hard...) but I think succeeding is scarier because it means to have to live up to it.
Tbh, I don't think you're EVER going to *want* to get to a healthy weight. You just have to recognise that you have to and it's the illness stopping you from doing that. It's not an option not to gain weight because it's far too tempting when you're close to an unhealthy milestone, your brain won't be working at its optimum level, you're still putting yourself at a higher risk of dying earlier than you should because the longer you stay at a low weight, the more damage you're causing long term. It's not going to help you and you're going to feel hopeless and helpless. Not to mention the whole lack of fat in the brain thing- you're not really going to be very happy if your brain has shrunken and you're not making much serotonin. Weight gain is awful but there's no real alternative and if you wait until you think you'll be able to deal with it, you're going to be waiting a very long time. You WILL adapt, eventually. I'm not saying you're not going to cry and want to jump out of your skin but eventually, you'll be able to at least rationalise it. Basically, what I'm trying to say is weight gain comes first. The more time you spend wondering why you can't rationalise the fact you need to gain weight and wondering if there's something wrong with you for not wanting to, the longer you're going to stay trapped. :sad: You have to be honest with yourself and push as hard as you can. :hugs:

Spoiler

Reply 1045
Original post by diamonddust

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 1047
They say that physical recovery is a precursor to the mental recovery for a number of reasons. For starters the mind alone requires 5-600 calories daily to even function on it's own at full capacity. Consider that if your body is undernourished and restricted then your brain isn't even working at full capacity therefore your chemicals, the emotions, everything is imbalanced; you can't hope to "get better" mentally if your mind isn't even working to full capacity.

Secondly you have to HAVE a healthy body before it's healthy to learn to love it. That part is just common sense!
Reply 1048
Original post by diamonddust
:hugs:
Have a look at this. It's a blog by this really amazing girl who considers herself in remission. http://giantfossilizedarmadillo.com/diy-recovery/body/
With regards to the subconscious sabotaging thing, :yup: . I've been thinking about self sabotage lately and I think what I'm afraid of is succeeding. Failure sucks and I'm terrified of failing (hence this summer being so hard...) but I think succeeding is scarier because it means to have to live up to it.
Tbh, I don't think you're EVER going to *want* to get to a healthy weight. You just have to recognise that you have to and it's the illness stopping you from doing that. It's not an option not to gain weight because it's far too tempting when you're close to an unhealthy milestone, your brain won't be working at its optimum level, you're still putting yourself at a higher risk of dying earlier than you should because the longer you stay at a low weight, the more damage you're causing long term. It's not going to help you and you're going to feel hopeless and helpless. Not to mention the whole lack of fat in the brain thing- you're not really going to be very happy if your brain has shrunken and you're not making much serotonin. Weight gain is awful but there's no real alternative and if you wait until you think you'll be able to deal with it, you're going to be waiting a very long time. You WILL adapt, eventually. I'm not saying you're not going to cry and want to jump out of your skin but eventually, you'll be able to at least rationalise it. Basically, what I'm trying to say is weight gain comes first. The more time you spend wondering why you can't rationalise the fact you need to gain weight and wondering if there's something wrong with you for not wanting to, the longer you're going to stay trapped. :sad: You have to be honest with yourself and push as hard as you can. :hugs:

Spoiler

Thank you so much for that blog, what an inspiring person! I do have one question - the bit when she says that people who get to a BMI of over 20 have a much lower chance of relapse than people who stop increasing their weight below 20, is that true? I know BMI is subjective and often irrelevant but to be at 20... straight away I'm thinking 'well that bit just doesn't apply to me,' am I being crazy? Problem is I do know all the logical stuff, like about the brain, I just skive off putting into practice. But you're right, it is about being honest with myself. I'm doing a bit better now, I had some pasta tonight. My mum has started giving me this kind of glazed-eye sad look over the past few months which is in many ways more unbearable than the constant glaring/yelling/slapping she's resorted to for many years!

Aaanyway, I think I'm going to go back to doing food plans and diaries and hopefully that way I can keep an 'honest' track on things! :smile:

Spoiler bit: :hugs: for doing so well and gaining the weight, :hugs: for still feeling bad, :hugs: for tomorrow being better. I will be so so proud of you if you can work through this bit, I've tried recovery so many times and from past experience that bit is definitely always the hardest bit - and therefore always the bit when I've given up! But if you can work through it I know it does get better. Please stick at it, you're amazing :rolleyes:
Reply 1049
Oh my goodness, just got to the 'Relapse Prevention Plan.' This girl is actually incredible :')
Original post by squiff93
thankyou for your confidence, i hope your right.

i feel like a dieter with the whole - i'll do it tomorrow, i'll start tomorrow, i'll change tomorrow attutide that i seem to adopt daily after each time i mess up. i just always seem to decide to change but never manage to succeed or last more than a day perhaps. i don't understand why i feel like i've become such a victim of it all recently, i'm fed up of fighting this loosing battle!

xxx

Lots of losing battles have turned around in the end! Get your armour on! Guns cocked! Tomorow is the day!

Send me the excell file that you are fillling!! Okay start tomorow.
Original post by TotoMimo
They say that physical recovery is a precursor to the mental recovery for a number of reasons. For starters the mind alone requires 5-600 calories daily to even function on it's own at full capacity. Consider that if your body is undernourished and restricted then your brain isn't even working at full capacity therefore your chemicals, the emotions, everything is imbalanced; you can't hope to "get better" mentally if your mind isn't even working to full capacity.

Secondly you have to HAVE a healthy body before it's healthy to learn to love it. That part is just common sense!

How did you do today? x
Lots of losing battles have turned around in the end! Get your armour on! Guns cocked! Tomorow is the day!

Send me the excell file that you are fillling!! Okay start tomorow.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yes do that. But be VERY clear of what you are going to eat okay so that it doesnt go all messy.

http://giantfossilizedarmadillo.com/diy-recovery/so-what-can-you-eat/

Use this link to help plan. Or anything else useful.

I'll be expecting an email of an excell file at 9.30pm at the latest. xxx

Spoiler

Yes do that. But be VERY clear of what you are going to eat okay so that it doesnt go all messy.

http://giantfossilizedarmadillo.com/diy-recovery/so-what-can-you-eat/

Use this link to help plan. Or anything else useful.

I'll be expecting an email of an excell file at 9.30pm at the latest. xxx

Spoiler

thanks, i'll try my best :smile:
thanks, i'll try my best :smile:

:biggrin: The link for the flash cards on "DIY Recovery " is good too!

Have a lovely day , dear. xx
thanks :smile: i'm making such a MESS of this, much harder than i anticipated xxxx
:biggrin: The link for the flash cards on "DIY Recovery " is good too!

Have a lovely day , dear. xx

i can't do it i've given up just sobbing my eyes out because its not working and i can't do it

i'm just hopeless

xxx
i can't do it i've given up just sobbing my eyes out because its not working and i can't do it

i'm just hopeless

xxx

YOU ARE NOT hopeless! You just need a little helping hand for a bit then you'll be flying all over.

xxxxxxxx
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:h::banana2::banana2::banana2::badger::banana::clap2::party::tee:

Quick Reply

Latest