The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Omgsugar185
No, the thing is I am ALREADY in this cycle, has been suffering from it for a year now and its relapsing again. I binged for the past two days and I purged a little but not enough to equate and I am going completely mental and depressed so I'm seeking for help here. I know the consequences and this helpless situation but I am alone and I need some advice...

advice for what?

advice to get better - stop trying to starve yourself and seek help.

advice for starving yourself i don't think you'll find on this thread, its pretty obvious how to starve yourself, but the 'thinner' body you may or may not achieve doesn't make you happy, your goals will get lower and lower making it the unachievable goal, when you realise nothing is 'safe' anymore no-one really understands and your making up excuses of why you can't go out you'll probably wish you tried to stop while you could.

because you can, your thinking about things logically, so stop and look at yourself, do you really need to lose weight, is it worth it, is there any hurry? do you have friends? do you have a social life?

starving yourself has horrible horrible sacrifices so please stop and think while you can
Original post by Aemiliana
God, my relationship with food is bad. I was in a supermarket, hungry and spent money on junk food. That'd be absolutely fine if I didn't know that I will end up finishing it all over the next sort of 24 hours :sigh: I just wanna be normal with food...

:frown: :console: I'm terrible at food shopping too... I went to sainsburys today to get some food for the rest of the week and left with a bottle of water. Water!!?!?!?! I can get that out of a tap! :angry::angry::angry:
Original post by Cinamon
:frown: :console: I'm terrible at food shopping too... I went to sainsburys today to get some food for the rest of the week and left with a bottle of water. Water!!?!?!?! I can get that out of a tap! :angry::angry::angry:

Lol I've done that before and you leave thinking 'Wtf... I didn't even want this." :confused:
Original post by Omgsugar185
take sometime as in get out of the house? I've been alone in the house for past two days and I will only get to see family and friends in 3days...I'm scared I will keep doing this until I am "monitored" by my family...

Will binge eating make me gain weight? What if I starve myself in the next few days? Will that help?

No it won't. Make a healthy diet plan that youu can manage and stick to that and binge on fruit if you feel like binging and drink lots of water. Hopefully youre in the north so water tastes good !

All the best.

xxxxxxx
Reply 1104
Squiff, heed the advice of the people on here. It's all absolute sense and should be followed!

Unfortunately I have been told that every ED-sufferer never really "unlearns" the habits; you'll always know the calories, fat, sugar of what you're eating and be aware of it. But the positive aspect is that you will look at it in a different way. See the nutrients as less of an enemy and more of a commodity.

It's a terrifying thought, sure, but you need to recover ASAP... even knowing the negatives.
XXX
Toto, how are you doing yourself?

I am pretty pissed off right now, I am on holiday with my daughter who's own personal ED is to not eat mon-fri and to b/p at weekends and she is missing out on so much :frown: the fruit and veg here is amazing and I just wish she would allow herself to enjoy it. Unfortunately she just see's this as her eating pattern and nothing to worry about.
Reply 1106
Original post by morrisman
Toto, how are you doing yourself?

I am pretty pissed off right now, I am on holiday with my daughter who's own personal ED is to not eat mon-fri and to b/p at weekends and she is missing out on so much :frown: the fruit and veg here is amazing and I just wish she would allow herself to enjoy it. Unfortunately she just see's this as her eating pattern and nothing to worry about.

Can she not even bring herself to eat fruit and veg? Personally I was always able to eat vegetables because they are so low in calories - maybe if you made her a very small plate of chopped fruit and vegetables she might be able to? I don't want to sound patronising, I know you've tried so hard already, but it's such a shame :frown:

I have big news, I just had a bacon sandwich! The whole concept of bacon sandwiches is a massive deal for me - I haven't eaten bacon in... 5 years? and as far as I can remember I've never had actually had a bacon sandwich, I've always chickened out. The whole combination of white bread, animal fat, meat, ketchup... it's everything I'm most afraid of, but this morning I was really hungover, my brother was cooking bacon and instead of hiding in my room with all the windows open (out of the whole mental paranoia of absorbing calories by smelling fatty foods) I went downstairs and made one for myself!

Toto, I really can't thank you enough for this - I literally sat there thinking about what you wrote somewhere at the start of this thread, about thinking 'if a 'healthy' person were in my situation, would they eat this? Yes. Would they feel guilty? No. Am I eating more than they would eat? No, I'm still eating less' - and that was what made me eat it. I didn't manage the whole thing, had about half, and it feels sooo heavy in my stomach I'm writing this to distract myself but I've kept it down so far and I'm literally so happy with it I want to dance around lol :smile: Genuinely would never, ever have done this had it not been for this thread so thank you so much :biggrin:
Original post by Kebabbi
x

:banana::banana2::elefant::groovy:

Wohoooooo!!! What a massive step forward! Well done i'm so so happy for you, you should feel really really proud of yourself xxx
Reply 1108
Original post by Cinamon
:banana::banana2::elefant::groovy:

Wohoooooo!!! What a massive step forward! Well done i'm so so happy for you, you should feel really really proud of yourself xxx

Thank youu :biggrin: dancing banana gifs is definitely how I feel right now lol :smile: how are you doing today?
Original post by Kebabbi
Thank youu :biggrin: dancing banana gifs is definitely how I feel right now lol :smile: how are you doing today?

Ok thank you :smile: Feeling very energised today :yep:
Yay for a bacon sandwich!

Unfortunately nothing solid is allowed, I offered to make a lovely fresh fruit smoothie but no go, what worries me is her heart can't be doing too good, and she is living off Coke, coffee and hot chocolate, faaar too much caffeine, and with only 4 hours sleep a night she is thinking of sleeping pills which worries me.
Original post by Cinamon
Ok thank you :smile: Feeling very energised today :yep:

:hugs:

YAY to Kebabbi! :jumphug:
faaar too much caffeine, and with only 4 hours sleep a night she is thinking of sleeping pills which worries me.

It should. Unfortunately if she's over 18 and not dangerously emaciated necessitating being sectioned then as you know, there is little that you can do other than letting her know how dangerous it is and how scared you are.

B/P and caffeine are both well known for causing heart rhythm abnormalities, as are many sleeping pills. I should know, I have an implanted cardiac defibrillator and have been told not to have caffeine, chocolate or alcohol. She should switch to decaffeinated drinks and coffee if she must them drink them at all. The safest drink is water.

B/P is known to be the most dangerous of behaviours as it does more damage to the heart and the electrolytes than starvation on its own; which is bad enough on its own!

Good luck dealing with your daughter. You are both in my thoughts.
Reply 1113
Yay for a bacon sandwich!

Unfortunately nothing solid is allowed, I offered to make a lovely fresh fruit smoothie but no go, what worries me is her heart can't be doing too good, and she is living off Coke, coffee and hot chocolate, faaar too much caffeine, and with only 4 hours sleep a night she is thinking of sleeping pills which worries me.

Hi! Sorry to hear about your situation, it must be awful to feel so helpless. I thought I'd post this link to a support forum for parents of those with eating disorders, which could be useful for you. Lots of wisdom on there, and people in similar predicaments etc:

http://www.aroundthedinnertable.org/

All the best to you, and to everyone else on this forum. :smile:
Harrowing story, it made me feel really fortunate, hope you recover. I understand eating disorders as much as i can without ever having got to the stage where I was diagnosed. I decided I was worth it and I mattered before it got that far. I think low self-esteem and feelings of powerlessness is the key issue here. My advice to anyone struggling and slipping into dangerous eating patterns is to take a second to think about how much you've got going for you, how many opportunities you still have and stop thinking you have to 'earn' anything. apply this to every aspect of your life and treat your body like a temple and you will be happier for it. I still get 'bad' thoughts, but you just have to kill them with reason and focus on making positive changes. positivity, drive and intellect combined wins.
Reply 1115
Not that it makes a difference since I rarely post...but I'm going to stop reading this thread for the time being, it's not doing me a lot of good. Thanks for your post, Anonymous, I need to keep reminding myself of that instead of allowing other things to trigger me. I wish there was a way of blocking myself from this thread so I'm not tempted to read it.
To everyone in here who is fighting a hard battle, I wish you all the best in your recovery.
Reply 1116
Huzzah for managing to eat that bacon sarnie! I bet you enjoyed it way more than you thought you physically could a simple sandwich because your body's been without for so, so long!

Floskii, sorry to hear this thread is having a negative effect on you. Obviously as a thread to HELP rather than hinder, this isn't ideal, so please stay off and find some more positive encouragements suited to your own recovery.

morrisman, thank you for enquiring! My recovery has taken a few lumps and bumps recently as all recoveries really do. At my most recent weigh-in I found I had lost a little weight due to me slipping back into "stealth exertion" - basically, as I was consuming more, I was subconsciously upping my walking around, finding excuses to be a bit more physical, and in turn completely sabotaging my recovery. I nipped this in the bud and now I'm remaining sedentary. This is made difficult in knowing that although my weight is the same, my body fat has increased. This is a good thing, but to me, it's been difficult to fathom. My osteoperosis has had to be treated as "severe" now they've noticed spinal cartilage has degraded and I'm on phosphites (sp?) which are causing my skeleton to hurt like a mofo.

I swear, between the skeletal damage, the heart attacks, constant kidney, liver and bladder infections, this eating disorder doesn't even seem that worth it (LAWL).

I wonder, how are my fellow ED-battlers faring in their current scenario?
Original post by TotoMimo
Huzzah for managing to eat that bacon sarnie! I bet you enjoyed it way more than you thought you physically could a simple sandwich because your body's been without for so, so long!

Floskii, sorry to hear this thread is having a negative effect on you. Obviously as a thread to HELP rather than hinder, this isn't ideal, so please stay off and find some more positive encouragements suited to your own recovery.

morrisman, thank you for enquiring! My recovery has taken a few lumps and bumps recently as all recoveries really do. At my most recent weigh-in I found I had lost a little weight due to me slipping back into "stealth exertion" - basically, as I was consuming more, I was subconsciously upping my walking around, finding excuses to be a bit more physical, and in turn completely sabotaging my recovery. I nipped this in the bud and now I'm remaining sedentary. This is made difficult in knowing that although my weight is the same, my body fat has increased. This is a good thing, but to me, it's been difficult to fathom. My osteoperosis has had to be treated as "severe" now they've noticed spinal cartilage has degraded and I'm on phosphites (sp?) which are causing my skeleton to hurt like a mofo.

I swear, between the skeletal damage, the heart attacks, constant kidney, liver and bladder infections, this eating disorder doesn't even seem that worth it (LAWL).

Out of interest, how long have you had your ED? You seem to have a lot of medical problems and I was under the impression that the ED only developed in the last year or so (I could have miss read this though... sorry if I have.

Also well done for staying sedentary. All this hard work will pay off I promise.
Reply 1118
Yes, I've probably had the eating disorder in SOME capacity for over a year, but it has only been one year since it took OVER my life. Before it, I was AWARE of what I took in but it never really intruded into my life; for example I might've chosen to eat light coleslaw over the deli-style if given the choice. A far cry from where I got to - at the point where I was weighing LETTUCE for my daily salads to ensure absolute calorie control.

It just goes to show you how brutal you can ravage your body in such a short period of time. But much like my compatriots have stated, you don't realise what's happening until it's too late and then BAM, you're in hospital! In one year my bones are crumbling, heart is degraded, organs failing, teeth wasting - not to mention my "real" life has been put on hold. One year's all it's taken for the ED to cripple every single thing that I used to love in life. It's so, SO not worth it. And I WILL kill it.

Kebabbi, I just want to say thank you and you are SO, SO welcome. I am smiling from ear to ear reading your post.

KISSES AND LOVE AND HUGS AND MERRY JIGS TO ALL OF YOU GUYS!!XXX
Original post by TotoMimo

I'm not doing so good really... my health is getting even worse as exampled by yesterday....

Spoiler

I'm glad you're doing better though :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest