The Student Room Group

Double-dipping - Warwick or Cambridge (or somewhere else entirely)?

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some tips on dual Maths-Physics courses. I think this is the course for me; I like both Maths and Physics, and would like the option of choosing more applied modules, rather than abstract mathematics that I may have to take on a pure course.

Anyway! I'm trying to choose between the "Maths with Physics" course at Cambridge and the "Maths and Physics" course at Warwick as the one I want to gun for when I apply next year. I'm in lower 6th taking Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and French, looking to drop French for A2. I'm looking into the courses, but from the outside, there's very little to choose between them as far as I can tell, apart from a little more flexibility at Warwick, perhaps.

So, I really like Warwick. The campus system and the newer buildings seem to be more "my thing" than the older colleges, and I also like how Warwick is a little cut-off from the town itself, whereas Cambridge is in the middle of the tourist track. I don't know. Not really basing it on anything in particular. It just felt a bit more "me".

However, Cambridge rank at the top of pretty much every list for Maths and several for Physical Sciences as well, and there's inevitably the "prestige" and, to quote my Physics teacher, "Anyone who'd turn down an offer from Oxbridge would be mad because of everything else that comes with it." I'm not sure if that still holds true, especially in the maths/physics sector, but I do feel he has a point. Is he right? If I was lucky enough to get offers from both, I'd still lean towards Warwick, which is what's troubling me.

So, anyway. I was wondering if anyone here has ever been in a similar position, what happened, where they ended up going etc. For instance,
did you go to Cambridge and regret it, or did you go to Warwick and wish you'd gone to Oxbridge? Did you go somewhere completely different?

Sorry for the tl;dr, people. :getmecoat:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by NikNaks

Original post by NikNaks
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some tips on dual Maths-Physics courses. I think this is the course for me; I like both Maths and Physics, and would like the option of choosing more applied modules, rather than abstract mathematics that I may have to take on a pure course.

Anyway! I'm trying to choose between the "Maths with Physics" course at Cambridge and the "Maths and Physics" course at Warwick as the one I want to gun for when I apply next year. I'm in lower 6th taking Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and French, looking to drop French for A2. I'm looking into the courses, but from the outside, there's very little to choose between them as far as I can tell, apart from a little more flexibility at Warwick, perhaps.

So, I really like Warwick. The campus system and the newer buildings seem to be more "my thing" than the older colleges, and I also like how Warwick is a little cut-off from the town itself, whereas Cambridge is in the middle of the tourist track. I don't know. Not really basing it on anything in particular. It just felt a bit more "me".

However, Cambridge rank at the top of pretty much every list for Maths and several for Physical Sciences as well, and there's inevitably the "prestige" and, to quote my Physics teacher, "Anyone who'd turn down an offer from Oxbridge would be mad because of everything else that comes with it." I'm not sure if that still holds true, especially in the maths/physics sector, but I do feel he has a point. Is he right? If I was lucky enough to get offers from both, I'd still lean towards Warwick, which is what's troubling me.

So, anyway. I was wondering if anyone here has ever been in a similar position, what happened, where they ended up going etc. For instance,
did you go to Cambridge and regret it, or did you go to Warwick and wish you'd gone to Oxbridge? Did you go somewhere completely different?

Apply to both and get offers for both before you decide which one to go for.
Why can't you apply for both?

I think you need to remember that with Cambridge it's a bit of a gamble in actually getting an offer. Don't be so confident.

Warwicks course is good. I applied for it and they said it is very flexible. You can transfer to the straight physics course after the first year if you wanted to (You can also switch to the maths course but that is a bit harder). You can choose a lot of your modules as well.
Reply 3
Original post by gozatron
Apply to both and get offers for both before you decide which one to go for.

This.

You have five choices.
Reply 4
Get an offer from cambridge then come back and tell us you turned it down - just to make Imso carry on like the kid in "The Exorcist"
Reply 5
I know it's a lottery getting an offer from Oxbridge these days, but I'm not sure it's even worth applying to Cambridge if I was set on Warwick. There's no point putting myself through all of that stress and procedure if I didn't want to go there, right? I was just trying to see if anyone else had been through something similar!

And.. who's Imso? xD
Reply 6
I applied last year to cam and warwick. i got into both for maths however i never really wanted to apply for cam at all and had cancelled my application half way through but then was sort of forced into calling up UCAS and saying my account had been hacked lol. then i sat my exams and made my offer which i still wanted to reject. so i did, but the stress and ear ache i got from those saying i had destroyed my life got to me so much i didnt go to uni at all that year and now have a place at warwick to start this year :smile: I think that if you have pushy teachers and parents applying and not wanting to go can be destructive though you may change your mind and keeping your options open is often a very good thing. one thing i would say for the application process at cam however is that it is a very enjoyable process (was for me anyway) and talking about the maths in the supervision styley was cool, however you may not aggree. the other down side of not applying is you may have some sort of intelectual superiority weilded over you by people who do apply who see themselves as gods gift to academia.
Reply 7
Original post by NikNaks

:s-smilie: I'm sorry, what? Surely Cambridge is even more prestigious and highly regarded in those two sectors in particular? Isaac Newton and Stephen Hawking. Doesn't get better than that. If you did get an offer from Cambridge for Maths with Physics or anything to do with Maths or Physics you would be getting one of the best degrees in the world. I disagree and agree with your teacher. Turning down a Cambridge offer isn't madness. But for Maths/Physics, with the reputation Cambridge has for that area, it would be kinda crazy to reject an offer.

Anyway I sympathise with your position. Cambridge isn't for everyone. But I do disagree with this tourist track perception. It completely depends on the college. At King's yes it's mad. But quite a few other colleges are in very secluded, quiet areas. Like Girton for example. It's ridiculously cut off and secluded. It's like a bubble. So I would still recommend applying just in case you change your mind during the application process. If you didn't apply and you suddenly decided you really wanted to go, you'd be screwed. So apply and see where it goes. If it doesn't happen then Warwick will probably be there for you. Win, win.
Somewhere that's not in the middle of a field, but that's just me :smile:
hahaha when i read the first bit, i soooo thought this was talking about something else :/
Reply 10
Original post by NikNaks

And.. who's Imso? xD

new around here?
---
If you're not really bothered about going to Cambridge you'll be more relaxed & impressive at the interview - then you'll be able to top-trump the wannabe investment bankers with your true story about gypping an oxbridge offer.

if you totally couldn't stand to be interviewed - leave it, but if I was in your shoes I'd be curious about the famous oxbridge interview system and want to see it for myself.
Can't go far wrong, in my opinion! I applied to both for maths, and had Cambridge as my firm, Warwick as my insurance (this was before Warwick's offer became even higher). I didn't make the STEP grades for Cambridge and got into Warwick. I really love the course here- there's so much choice! It's one of the best things about it, in my opinion, and especially if you're doing maths phys there'll be lots of variety in what you study. The people that I know on the course enjoy it a lot, and they don't have to do the 2nd year essay module that straight-maths students do! XS

There's increasingly little difference in the prestige of the courses if you ask me, though obviously Cambridge has more 'fame'. For the people who matter (employers, for example), I doubt there's much in it anymore. Go for where you think you'll be happiest! :smile: Both courses are tough, but highly-valued.

Oh, you may also want to consider other factors. At Cambridge you'll be dining in halls a lot- you won't have to spend time cooking for yourself, finding accommodation for 2nd year vs you won't gain experience cooking for yourself, independence coming form living off-campus etc.
For now, apply to both.

But remember you still need to go to open days, and if you're still set on warwick then go there. Doing Maths/Maths with Physics/Physics at Cambridge is probably one of the best tickets in the world to being successful. Having said that, Warwick is also highly respected, especially in Maths, and would almost certainly get you a good job etc.

So if you feel you wouldn't enjoy Cambridge and do go to Warwick, you won't regret it - it'll still be a great course that provides loads of opportunities.
Reply 13
Original post by marmeduke
I applied last year to cam and warwick. i got into both for maths however i never really wanted to apply for cam at all and had cancelled my application half way through but then was sort of forced into calling up UCAS and saying my account had been hacked lol. then i sat my exams and made my offer which i still wanted to reject. so i did, but the stress and ear ache i got from those saying i had destroyed my life got to me so much i didnt go to uni at all that year and now have a place at warwick to start this year :smile: I think that if you have pushy teachers and parents applying and not wanting to go can be destructive though you may change your mind and keeping your options open is often a very good thing. one thing i would say for the application process at cam however is that it is a very enjoyable process (was for me anyway) and talking about the maths in the supervision styley was cool, however you may not aggree. the other down side of not applying is you may have some sort of intelectual superiority weilded over you by people who do apply who see themselves as gods gift to academia.

Well, that's not the most direct route, but at least you're heading for the right place in the autumn. Let me know how it goes for you!

Original post by Scrubby
:s-smilie: I'm sorry, what? Surely Cambridge is even more prestigious and highly regarded in those two sectors in particular? Isaac Newton and Stephen Hawking. Doesn't get better than that. If you did get an offer from Cambridge for Maths with Physics or anything to do with Maths or Physics you would be getting one of the best degrees in the world. I disagree and agree with your teacher. Turning down a Cambridge offer isn't madness. But for Maths/Physics, with the reputation Cambridge has for that area, it would be kinda crazy to reject an offer.

I didn't word that well, I'll admit. But Warwick is reportedly up there with Cambridge, as are Oxford, UCL and one or two others, from what I've read, so why would it be so mad to choose a different style of uni? The issue lies with whether Cambridge really is in another league, and whether that's enough of a factor to swing it.

Anyway I sympathise with your position. Cambridge isn't for everyone. But I do disagree with this tourist track perception. It completely depends on the college. At King's yes it's mad. But quite a few other colleges are in very secluded, quiet areas. Like Girton for example. It's ridiculously cut off and secluded. It's like a bubble. So I would still recommend applying just in case you change your mind during the application process. If you didn't apply and you suddenly decided you really wanted to go, you'd be screwed. So apply and see where it goes. If it doesn't happen then Warwick will probably be there for you. Win, win.

Thanks for that tip, actually. I've been to an Open Day at Downing and it seemed very old-worldy and, well, not stuffy but it had that kind of feel. If that makes sense? Is Girton a little different, then?

Original post by Joinedup
new around here?

Yes. xD Would you care to explain, perhaps? I don't even.

If you're not really bothered about going to Cambridge you'll be more relaxed & impressive at the interview - then you'll be able to top-trump the wannabe investment bankers with your true story about gypping an oxbridge offer.

if you totally couldn't stand to be interviewed - leave it, but if I was in your shoes I'd be curious about the famous oxbridge interview system and want to see it for myself.

My only problem is that I have never really been one to handle pressure situations very well. I'm not sure I'd get a kick out of doing it as much as a cold sweat and a headache. :tongue:

Original post by Exo-Politician
Can't go far wrong, in my opinion! I applied to both for maths, and had Cambridge as my firm, Warwick as my insurance (this was before Warwick's offer became even higher). I didn't make the STEP grades for Cambridge and got into Warwick. I really love the course here- there's so much choice! It's one of the best things about it, in my opinion, and especially if you're doing maths phys there'll be lots of variety in what you study. The people that I know on the course enjoy it a lot, and they don't have to do the 2nd year essay module that straight-maths students do! XS

Thank-you for your input! It's great to hear from a current student, so thanks! Variety is definitely a big thing for me, so it'd be interesting to see if that's the same at Cambridge or whether they have less flexibility (which I have vaguely heard about, at least). And any excuse to avoid an essay is a good one! xD

There's increasingly little difference in the prestige of the courses if you ask me, though obviously Cambridge has more 'fame'. For the people who matter (employers, for example), I doubt there's much in it anymore. Go for where you think you'll be happiest! :smile: Both courses are tough, but highly-valued.

This is the thing I'm curious about. I think this is becoming the case more and more, but different people say different things. Very hard to tell.

Oh, you may also want to consider other factors. At Cambridge you'll be dining in halls a lot- you won't have to spend time cooking for yourself, finding accommodation for 2nd year vs you won't gain experience cooking for yourself, independence coming form living off-campus etc.

That's something I hadn't really thought about. To be honest, I'd rather be free to have whatever I wanted in the evenings rather than choosing from a selection, and being able to learn the ropes must also be a good thing. How are you finding that? Do you tend to eat alone, or eat with the people on your corridor?

Original post by hassi94
For now, apply to both.

But remember you still need to go to open days, and if you're still set on warwick then go there. Doing Maths/Maths with Physics/Physics at Cambridge is probably one of the best tickets in the world to being successful. Having said that, Warwick is also highly respected, especially in Maths, and would almost certainly get you a good job etc.

So if you feel you wouldn't enjoy Cambridge and do go to Warwick, you won't regret it - it'll still be a great course that provides loads of opportunities.

Hm. That's the kind of comment I'm slightly worried about. I realise that Warwick isn't as well-known or famous as Cambridge, but whether not going there if the option arises is almost like shooting yourself in the foot is the kind of thing I'm trying to work out. It's tricky, this. But I probably will still apply to both. It's just whether I'd want to follow through with it.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! It's really helpful! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
What Exopolitician said.

A physics/maths degree is a good degree, no matter where it's from (within reason!). The relative position in the league tables doesn't really account for much within the top few institutions. There's a lot of weight put behind Oxbridge, but they're not so amazing that a 2nd from Oxbridge is equal to a first from places like Warwick, Durham etc. Don't put to much emphasis on which one is higher according to the Times.

Apply for both and then decide where you like better once you have visited them. It's far more important that you're comfortable and happy during your degree.
Original post by NikNaks

Hm. That's the kind of comment I'm slightly worried about. I realise that Warwick isn't as well-known or famous as Cambridge, but whether not going there if the option arises is almost like shooting yourself in the foot is the kind of thing I'm trying to work out. It's tricky, this. But I probably will still apply to both. It's just whether I'd want to follow through with it.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! It's really helpful! :biggrin:

Well anyway, as I said, things will probably be more clear. You've got lots of time, open days, you'll have a STEP course at Cambridge if you are at a State School, so you've got lots of things to help you decide.
Reply 16
Original post by NikNaks

I didn't word that well, I'll admit. But Warwick is reportedly up there with Cambridge, as are Oxford, UCL and one or two others, from what I've read, so why would it be so mad to choose a different style of uni? The issue lies with whether Cambridge really is in another league, and whether that's enough of a factor to swing it.

Thanks for that tip, actually. I've been to an Open Day at Downing and it seemed very old-worldy and, well, not stuffy but it had that kind of feel. If that makes sense? Is Girton a little different, then?

I'd say in the Maths/Physics area Cambridge is really in another league reputation wise and that would swing it for me. I'm not saying the teaching is that much better there, I'm saying the reputation is. Employers would love that. Whether you would is a completely different matter and I completely get that. It's true Warwick is good. But I wouldn't be so quick to rule out Cambridge for the aforementioned reasons.

Yeah, I get what you mean about Downing. I was intending to apply there before the university open day but I got there and it was very strange. Not my kind of place. Kind of unnecessarily grand and a bit weird. Girton is different certainly but I can't say whether in a good way. It's very quiet, big and nice. The people there are very friendly unlike certain other colleges... But everytime I've been it's been empty which really freaks me out and it's annoyingly far from the centre of Cambridge. Not a big deal for most people but I like noise and lots of people. Maybe you'd like it there. I'd definitely recommend you go on the university open day but make a shortlist of colleges beforehand and visit all of them.
Reply 17
Pssst. Do your best, apply to both, take your time, and choose the place you'll be happiest at. :3
Reply 18
Original post by NikNaks

Yes. xD Would you care to explain, perhaps? I don't even.

Imsoacademic a TSR user who sees herself as a white knight defending the honour of oxbridge from those who'd choose to study elsewhere or even compare it to other institutions.
Original post by NikNaks

Original post by NikNaks

Apply for both and see what happens. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest