Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Getting BBB at AS Level?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i think i will be getting BBB in psychology, biology, and english this summer. I will take an intensive chem course during A2 at a local college with night classes to get the A Level in two years and i am aiming for an A*. I will apply after a gap year so would places like bsms and southampton mind if i retake an AS modual during A2 to bump them up ? Cheers
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    even then it's down to probability

and chemistry A level is considered the hardest a level, more so than further maths. Be wise, to do the chem course in one year sounds like a challenge
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    even then it's down to probability

and chemistry A level is considered the hardest a level, more so than further maths. Be wise, to do the chem course in one year sounds like a challenge
    Chemistry the hardest A level, are you taking the piss?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    BBB will be very good compared to some people. Its not uncommon for people to get Ds Es and Us at AS. Or at least where i go....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    I'm doing f.maths and chemistry is approximately 3.5 times harder than f.maths. most people I know doing f.maths agree, I think so too.

I'm doing OCR salters chem btw, hardest course out there
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:

I'me doing OCR salters chem btw, hardest course out there
    Same, i actually think if we didn't do Salters chemistry wouldn't be that bad..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    Obviously it's subjective, but out of the subjects I do (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology) Chemistry I find to be the most demanding and difficult. It's been discussed on this forum a fair bit and generally Chemistry is seen as one of the hardest, if not the hardest A level. Again, it's subjective to where your skills lie, I know I find it a lot easier than I would find French or History A levels.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Becareful with chemistry it is really challenging. I wish you all the luck.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing f.maths and chemistry is approximately 3.5 times harder than f.maths. most people I know doing f.maths agree, I think so too.

Challenging, sure, but not impossible.
    IK find biology harder, purely for those stupid how science works questions.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

It can't be. If it is as hard as you're saying it is then I must be a genius, because I have V. high UMS for chemistry.

As it is, I am not a genius, so I doubt chemistry is as hard as you're making out.

That said, I would advise against sitting the whole A level in a year extra to three other subjects, unless you were some kind of a genius.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting Bs in sociology and English and Bio you won't get an A in chemistry.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

That's because further maths is no harder than regular maths. It's extra maths, ie the modules not chosen, and not further.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    If you're getting Bs in sociology and English and Bio you won't get an A in chemistry.
    its due to a lack of effort.......not capability :cool:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a next to 100% chance of you getting four rejections if you apply for medicine.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glen_Nichols)
    It's a next to 100% chance of you getting four rejections if you apply for medicine.
    I dont care. Its what i want to do. i will just apply again.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is difficult. However, what saves it is that it's interesting. I found maths terribly dull, which is why I never went far with it(just a GCSE).
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mclovin123)
    its due to a lack of effort.......not capability :cool:
    ok; be aware of two things.

You'll get 4 rejections due to your below par AS grades and lack of evidence concerning what grade you'll get in Chemistry

Unis tend to want 4 AS levels sat in the AS year.

Email places ASAP about that second point
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    ok; be aware of two things.

You'll get 4 rejections due to your below par AS grades and lack of evidence concerning what grade you'll get in Chemistry

Unis tend to want 4 AS levels sat in the AS year.

Email places ASAP about that second point
    No i think either no one noticed or i did not say but i am looking to complete my a levels then take a gap year then apply and fingers crost get an unconditional offer.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mclovin123)
    No i think either no one noticed or i did not say but i am looking to complete my a levels then take a gap year then apply and fingers crost get an unconditional offer.
    Well I've looked on a couple of sites and this "You should study four AS subjects" is bandied around.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I've looked on a couple of sites and this "You should study four AS subjects" is bandied around.
    in one year? I called southampton and i told the women i was speaking to my situation and plans and she said "that would be fine". Could she have been wrong?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.