The Student Room Group

AQA AS psychology how are you learnig your researchers?

Sorry about the typo on the title! ^

If I'm not mistaken we seem to have to learn loads of pieces of research for the exam. I'm using flashcards with the name (eg. Peterson and Peterson 1959) and date on one side and what it was about on the other (eg. duration of STM 90% trigrams 3 secs, 10% trigrams 18secs), but it's taking me a while to learn!

Any other idea's?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Madmaz
Sorry about the typo on the title! ^

If I'm not mistaken we seem to have to learn loads of pieces of research for the exam. I'm using flashcards with the name (eg. Peterson and Peterson 1959) and date on one side and what it was about on the other (eg. duration of STM 90% trigrams 3 secs, 10% trigrams 18secs), but it's taking me a while to learn!

Any other idea's?

Umm i am having the same problem, i just make a weird connection with the name and my life and the exepriment or something. OHH and Petersons and Petersons trigram study, the results were 80% remembered after 3 seconds and 10% remembered after 18 seconds.
Hahaha, if you think there is loads of researchers for AS try A2 *rollseyes* its worse, trust. Anyway, I tend to write long notes go over them, and write out little flash cards, with one word/or phrase next to them which will jog my memory and remind me of the experiment ie for Zimbardo for example: ZIMBARDO:PRISON.
It's not really that important knowing the researcher's name... You can just refer to it like, in a study it was found that... etc/
If this is AQA A then you don't have to learn the year :fyi:

It would be advisable to learn the researcher's name so it doesn't look like you made it up, but if you don't know the name don't make it up - you could make yourself look really stupid!
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
It's not really that important knowing the researcher's name... You can just refer to it like, in a study it was found that... etc/

Ignore this; it makes you look unprofessional and lacking in knowledge if you do not remember the majority of the names. You can possibly get away with missing out one name, but not all of them. You do not need the years of the studies however, and if there's more than one researcher (ie there's one with an obscure name) then just remember the one which is easiest to remember ie. Kronenburg et al.
Original post by charcharchar
Ignore this; it makes you look unprofessional and lacking in knowledge if you do not remember the majority of the names. You can possibly get away with missing out one name, but not all of them. You do not need the years of the studies however, and if there's more than one researcher (ie there's one with an obscure name) then just remember the one which is easiest to remember ie. Kronenburg et al.

REALLY? For example the meta analysis of the strange situation?. Its a bitch writing "IZNJOORN" or what ever his name is.
Original post by mclovin123
REALLY? For example the meta analysis of the strange situation?. Its a bitch writing "IZNJOORN" or what ever his name is.

Yeahhh! Just write blah blah blah et al... its so much easier.. thats a real psychological phrase, too :smile:

Not what I've been told, although I don't really put much effort into learning the names, they kind of just stay in my head. I know people who have gotten 100 UMS who didn't use researcher's names. Not including me in that because I did use their names, but even so, it's not essential to learn every freaking name and I didn't make any special effort trying to.
Not what I've been told, although I don't really put much effort into learning the names, they kind of just stay in my head. I know people who have gotten 100 UMS who didn't use researcher's names. Not including me in that because I did use their names, but even so, it's not essential to learn every freaking name and I didn't make any special effort trying to.

They must have had some pretty good AO2!
Reply 10

They must have had some pretty good AO2!

Right, let's clear some things up. YOU DO NOT NEED TO KNOW THEIR NAMES!

It gets you no marks. You just need to state their aim, findings, conclusion how it verifies/falsifies the theory and evaluation of both research and theory. If knowing the name helps you remember the above then go for it, but it won't get you any extra marks.

I got 100% RAW MARK with mentioning 2 names.

Nope. I've never lost marks by not reffering to names ... obviously if you're mentioning it in passing it helps - ie. systematic desensitisation is based on Beck's cognitive triad ... but my teachers always say don't waste time with names. I know most of them anyway but the thought of revising them is ridiculous.
Original post by Madmaz

Any other idea's?

At my school we use a Method Of Loci to remember the key studies.

Different key studies are put up all around the school building, and then the psych classes go round the school, stopping at each key study location. At each location, we discuss the relevant study and use props to make it memorable (e.g. a bottle of Kronenbourg for Kronenburg et al.)

Then when you want to remember the studies in the exam, you just walk through the tour in your mind and you remember each study!
Original post by noodlzzz
right, let's clear some things up. You do not need to know their names!

It gets you no marks. You just need to state their aim, findings, conclusion how it verifies/falsifies the theory and evaluation of both research and theory. If knowing the name helps you remember the above then go for it, but it won't get you any extra marks.

I got 100% raw mark with mentioning 2 names.

thank you!
Well, personally I would advise to learn names, despite what these wonderful people have stated :smile:
Well, personally I would advise to learn names, despite what these wonderful people have stated :smile:

Yeh deffo learn the names. I mean yeh i guess one does not have to but it makes your answer look much better to the examiner. The mark schemes can be a tad vague at times too so put as much detail as possible i think.
Reply 16
Thanks guys :smile: I'll keep revising them but stop panicking so much that I can't get them all! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Melting Sugar.
If this is AQA A then you don't have to learn the year :fyi:

It would be advisable to learn the researcher's name so it doesn't look like you made it up, but if you don't know the name don't make it up - you could make yourself look really stupid!

We don't have to learn the year? Really? This is what I'm struggling the most with because there are so many similar dates! Thank you haha. :smile:
Original post by should be revising
At my school we use a Method Of Loci to remember the key studies.

Different key studies are put up all around the school building, and then the psych classes go round the school, stopping at each key study location. At each location, we discuss the relevant study and use props to make it memorable (e.g. a bottle of Kronenbourg for Kronenburg et al.)

Then when you want to remember the studies in the exam, you just walk through the tour in your mind and you remember each study!

Thats actually amazing. You are really lucky to go a school were teachers put this much effort into it. Kickass, you will get an A for sure :biggrin:
Hahaha, if you think there is loads of researchers for AS try A2 *rollseyes* its worse, trust. Anyway, I tend to write long notes go over them, and write out little flash cards, with one word/or phrase next to them which will jog my memory and remind me of the experiment ie for Zimbardo for example: ZIMBARDO:PRISON.

And then try university.. haha.

I was actually fine at AS/A2 with the researchers, but it's the years I simply cannot remember for the life of me. For the record though, the years don't tend to lose you many marks as long as you have the names and the studies correct :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending