The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

LLB Law

I have a PhD in Film from a Russell Group Uni but I'm finding (somewhat predictably) that my job prospects are pretty limited. Although I've been dithering in the last few months, I now feel I'd be seriously interested in doing the 2 year LLB Law degree (graduate programme) - i also have the money to do it.

Does anyone know what the job prospects are for this degree, and is it worth doing? I can't afford to do another abstract degree. It needs to lead to something in the job market.
(edited 12 years ago)
You are probably asking for advice on the law forum. That 'senior status' 2 year course is probably better for giving you time to pick up legal experience mooting and so on, compared to rushing through with the GDL.

But the issue to ask from people in the industry is one of age. It is super competitive to break into law now and get training contracts and the danger is it could be a non-starter if you are in your late 20s or 30s when you finish, if law firms will have a preference for younger grads. I don't know if that is necessarily the case but I would recommend asking them on the law forum. It is a lot of studying and expense to get to the end of it and find that (fairly or unfairly) law firms are ignoring you. If you have the money to do a 2 year masters there are probably other routes which lead more directly to areas with job opportunities.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
There is another issue in that, with a PhD in film, HR at firms will likely question your commitment to the cause. I've heard even doing a PhD in Law will cast doubt on their part.

However, MagicNMedicine seems to be assuming you want to go into law, which is not necessarily the case. An LLB is valued by employers across a wide range of sectors. But you would need some additional CV stuff involving doing internships/work experience in a relevant area to make yourself a viable candidate. The legal profession is a very competitive one, and you would be wise to consider different sectors. My two cents: an LLB will help, but make sure you get work experience during it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for your responses.

I've been dithering for quite a while now regarding careers and I think it is probably too late for someone of my age to be pursuing a career in Law (as if no one else is trying to get into the legal profession right now!). I think I need to keep it strictly vocational from now on. My study days should be over by now (I'm pushing thirty).

Quick Reply

Latest