The Student Room Group

AQA- English Literature at AS Level, Literature B

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EffKayy

Aaaah, can you help me on openings for tennyson please? (lady of shallot, mariana)

LOS:"on either side of the river lie
long fields of barley and rye"

I guess this could show how shes entrapped in her room, surrounded by life, growth and progression in life ...
also the "island of Shalott" suggests she is seperate from the movement
barley and rye introduce a semantic field of nature
line 7 says lilies which could foreshadow death

just a few ideas...

Mariana

"Mariana in the moated grange"
The lack of a verb reflects a monotonous life
link to Measure for Measure introduces her character
moated grange symbolises entrapment and isolation

the dark imagery at the start with a superlative "blackest moss" shows the dismal state in which she lives, and as the poem is a psychological landscape it reflects her neglect and her emotions of melancholy
+ "flowerpots" shows a semantic fiel of nature and gardening - the garden of her life is unkempt so there is a lack of hope due to all the neglect

:smile:
Reply 601
Original post by S_123
I swear there's hardly anyone doing Mariner! How are you revising it? I'm literally just rereading it now and hoping it will all go in! Sorry to ask but could you tell me how the French Revolution comes into it since I don't get that interpretation at all!

I have never even heard of the French Revolution interpretation of it.
Only interpretation I've learned about was that Coleridge was taking opium, leading to a "drug-induced nightmare" which could explain all the strange colours and the terror that the Mariner feels, it's a way of Coleridge showing how he was affected by the drug.
(edited 12 years ago)
http://www.sparknotes.com/poetry/tennyson/section1.html

^^ a good site for Mariana.. i guess other poems are there too :]
Reply 603
Original post by Amreet.S
I have never even heard of the French Revolution interpretation of it.
Only interpretation I've learned about was that Coleridge was taking opium, leading to a "drug-induced nightmare" which could explain all the strange colours and the terror that the Mariner feels, it's a way of Coleridge showing how he was affected by the drug.

Hey, I'm retaking this exam tomorrow. The Rime is a nightmare at first but you'll understand it if you grasp a few key concepts :

It is a lyrical fantasy ballad which explains the otherworldly nature of the poem. Yes, this was probably influenced by Coleridge's addiction to opium. At the time of writing people used opium as a pain killer and it wasn't recognised as a harmful drug. The spiritual aspect is created through the use of repetition e.g repetition of 'the ice' in part 1. It comes across as an incantation to the reader, provoking them also to enter into this otherworldly state. One interpretation is that the poem is a 'drug-induced nightmare' but coleridge also tries to present these horrors as beautiful and shows how appreciation of nature can have a positive influence on humans. For instance the mariner later describes the 'slimy things' in the sea as 'water snakes' who 'moved in tracks of shining white' - its arguably because of this that the albatross fall of his neck.

I'm not sure what you mean by the French Revolution but the poem was written at the beginning of the english romantic period. The poem is set in the medieval period, well before the romantic period. Many poets viewed the medieval period as the 'golden age' because man was more a part of nature at that time.

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 604
Original post by EffKayy
My teacher said symbolism won't come up as it isn't applicable for all novels and it HAS to be applicable to all.

Aaaah, can you help me on openings for tennyson please? (lady of shallot, mariana)

Lady of Shalott opening I'd stick to just Part 1. It sets the scene of Camelot and the island of Shalott where the Lady is trapped. The comparison of the two - Camelot is bustling, Shalott is inactive. The Lady is introduced here as well and given a mythical aura.

Mariana I'd concentrate on on the first couple stanzas and how setting is introduced and her troubles are reflected in setting.

For openings I'd stick to Lady of Shallot rather than Mariana because 1) I hate Mariana what a boring sod lol and 2) there isn't a clear beginning for Mariana as her pain blurs everything, blah blah.
Reply 605
Original post by S_123
Lady of Shalott opening I'd stick to just Part 1. It sets the scene of Camelot and the island of Shalott where the Lady is trapped. The comparison of the two - Camelot is bustling, Shalott is inactive. The Lady is introduced here as well and given a mythical aura.

Mariana I'd concentrate on on the first couple stanzas and how setting is introduced and her troubles are reflected in setting.

For openings I'd stick to Lady of Shallot rather than Mariana because 1) I hate Mariana what a boring sod lol and 2) there isn't a clear beginning for Mariana as her pain blurs everything, blah blah.

HAHAHA you just made me laugh
good luck, you'll be fine!!!!! :smile:
Reply 606
Original post by EffKayy
HAHAHA you just made me laugh
good luck, you'll be fine!!!!! :smile:

Get my email? PM me - you're inbox is full.
Reply 607
Good luck with the exam tomorrow everyone. I'm sure you're all going to do fine x
Reply 608
Narrative techniques in Maude Clare/A Royal Princess/Winter: My Secret anyone?
(edited 12 years ago)
hiiiiiiiya

I don't suppose anyone has any ideas what might come up in section B? My teachers have said beginnings or voices, but in relation to their performance all year, I'm not relying on their judgment to get me an A.
Original post by _mariam_
Hey, I'm retaking this exam tomorrow. The Rime is a nightmare at first but you'll understand it if you grasp a few key concepts :

It is a lyrical fantasy ballad which explains the otherworldly nature of the poem. Yes, this was probably influenced by Coleridge's addiction to opium. At the time of writing people used opium as a pain killer and it wasn't recognised as a harmful drug. The spiritual aspect is created through the use of repetition e.g repetition of 'the ice' in part 1. It comes across as an incantation to the reader, provoking them also to enter into this otherworldly state. One interpretation is that the poem is a 'drug-induced nightmare' but coleridge also tries to present these horrors as beautiful and shows how appreciation of nature can have a positive influence on humans. For instance the mariner later describes the 'slimy things' in the sea as 'water snakes' who 'moved in tracks of shining white' - its arguably because of this that the albatross fall of his neck.

I'm not sure what you mean by the French Revolution but the poem was written at the beginning of the english romantic period. The poem is set in the medieval period, well before the romantic period. Many poets viewed the medieval period as the 'golden age' because man was more a part of nature at that time.

Hope this helps:smile:

Thanks for this! helped a lot! Does anyone have detailed notes on the Rossetti Poems and Ancient Mariner? In terms of Aspects of Narrative? Im helpless when it comes to these poems, and Im currently relying on my Question A for the marks :/
Will someone please write up a check list for section B, for the type of question that may come up for example, setting, openings, beginnings etc
Reply 612
Narrative techniques in Maude Clare/A Royal Princess/Winter: My Secret anyone? Really having a panic about Rossetti! and I'm doing that for Section A or Tennyson
How would you talk about openings for the poems? In terms of having a specific purpose for them?

I'm doing Browning and Hardy
Reply 614
Does anyone have any general tips for writing so that you get everything you need in for the mark scheme?
im stuffed for the exam, i feel as if i will not do well lol, well thanks for that post on gatsby earlier, that really helped me. I might change from Kite runner Section A to Gatsby as I have now got a clearer understanding on the text. I didnt even revise much lol. Stupid Rossetti.
Reply 616
Original post by Perseverance
How would you talk about openings for the poems? In terms of having a specific purpose for them?

I'm doing Browning and Hardy

For Hardy I have no clue why his openings are significant. He doesn't really have a common pattern. I thought about talking about his use of questions, but he only does that once. :angry:
Reply 617
Rossetti and openings, whaaaat?! :s-smilie: any help by someone doing Rossetti, I'm getting so stressed out right now :frown:
Reply 618
Does anyone know the significance of the prologue in Small Island?
Original post by Groat
For Hardy I have no clue why his openings are significant. He doesn't really have a common pattern. I thought about talking about his use of questions, but he only does that once. :angry:

Same, I was thinking along the lines of conveying his emotions but it seems too general.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending