The Student Room Group

AQA- English Literature at AS Level, Literature B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Argh 4 days left!!!

I'm doing Enduring Love for Section A, and Gatsby/Rossetti/Keats for Section B!

Very worried about section A part b - all my practise essays have taken hours and we only have half an hour to do it in the exam!!! In fact, timing for the whole thing is a huge issue! Anyone else got this problem?
Reply 741
Original post by cardboardkid
Hi,

if anyone has any Hardy notes/model answers, particularly A03 for section A)b, I would be eternally grateful. I've never done a practise question/seen a model answer for it so have no idea as to the structure at all...! :frown:

Thank you!

Yep I've got quite a few essays for Hardy.. Most of them are A. PM me your email and I'll pass them your way :smile:
Reply 742
Guys.. What the hell is structure?? What things constitute as structure in novels? All I have is openings, ending, climax, settings(?) crises and narrative devices like two narrators. Any help???

BTW I have some exemplar Hardy essays and a few Section B essays if anyone wants some. I would love some help on Small Island and Browning though so if anyone can pass some stuff on it would be really appreciated! :biggrin:
Reply 743
Original post by JamesAlexander
Best advice i can give is always start off with a big major technique and the most important is narrative voice!

PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN

I did this exam in january and it is a horrible exam but i got an A, you just have to remember it isnt a free essay its supposed to be structured. always refer to the title in each paragraph at the start and at the end as well if possible!!

What constitutes as narrative voice? As in what aspects? I'm clueless about narrative voice :s-smilie:
Reply 744
Original post by jodrummer
Argh 4 days left!!!

Very worried about section A part b - all my practise essays have taken hours and we only have half an hour to do it in the exam!!! In fact, timing for the whole thing is a huge issue! Anyone else got this problem?

ME! ahhh I know exactly what you mean!
Reply 745
anyone know what to put for How is the Story told in Ch6 of Gatsby?
Does anyone have Auden for section 1? Or an example of a good answer
Reply 747
Original post by jodrummer
Argh 4 days left!!!

This is exactly my problem! :frown: I recently did a mock test and only managed 1 side of handwritten A4 for each Q in Section A, but my teacher still gave me an A grade overall, saying "quality not quantity"... I'm scared that the actual examiner wouldn't be this generous!

My only tip would be to not dwell on your introduction and just do something simple to get started - address the question and answer it briefly, otherwise you'll be stuck there for ages...

But yeah, I'M REALLY SCARED.
Original post by tsveta
Can PM anyone Great Gatsby notes, I took that exam last year.

Would appreciate some help on Pardoner's Tale, Chaucer. But can exchange notes on Bloody Chamber and Wuthering Heights. Got a lot of those.

Hiya, I'd be really grateful if you could send me the Great Gatsby notes please.
Thanks
I'm studying; Enduring Love, Great Gatsby, Rime of the ancient mariner and Tennyson.
If anyone has any notes or tips ect, would be very grateful.
Reply 750
anyone studying Great Gatsby look at this....it basically got me through my exam last year haha and it's such a nice song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiajdDYYMaA
Reply 751
Original post by tsveta
anyone studying Great Gatsby look at this....it basically got me through my exam last year haha and it's such a nice song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiajdDYYMaA

that's perfect.
Reply 752
PM me for notes on Tennyson/Rossetti :smile:
Reply 753
Anyone got notes on Browning? I'd be forever indebted!!
Reply 754
PM me for Browning/Tennyson notes
Reply 755
Any Browning notes would be appreciated.
Original post by pennyy
anyone know what to put for How is the Story told in Ch6 of Gatsby?

Sorry to sound like a no-it-all, I'm really not, but it's so useful typing up notes!

Chapter six is where Gatsby's past is revealed.
- Nick explains that Gatsby is actually James Gatz from North Dakota who left home at a young age to seek his fortune. Gatsby changed his name at seventeen when he met Dan Cody, a self made millionaire.
Tom is invited to one of Gatsby's parties and arrives with Daisy.

Gatsby was created in the pursuit of the American Dream.
The chapter begins with an inquisitive reporter turning up on Gatsby's doorstep who hopes that there must be some truth in the rumors that will make a good story.

These rumors have made Gatsby "just short of being news" and expanded Gatsby's identity beyond what he could actually be.
Directly after this Nick reveals information found out "very much later" about Gatsby's real history. This contrast encourages the reader to draw comparisons between the man and the myth.

Fitzgerald establishes Gatsby as a timeless hero - He's describes as a "Son of God" and some critics have seen him as a Christ like figure. - Gatsby and Jesus there are biblical allusions that develop the similarities between the two.

Gatsby and Jesus became mortal and sacrificed himself for mankind's sins, whereas Gatsby tried himself to Daisy's mortal, "perishable breath", and died because he took the blame for Daisy's sin.

Gatsby and Adam - The American Dream of creating a land of opportunity, a perfect world where anything is possible, echoes the nature of the Garden of Eden.
A woman is responsible for the downfall of both Adam and Gatsby - Eve and Daisy respectively.

Other points:
Daisy attends one of Gatsby's parties.
Gatsby wants to recover the past with Daisy
Gatsby's kiss with Daisy is narrated through Nick's second-person perspective using the past perfect tense --Nicks narrative voice emphasizes the fact that Gatsby's first kiss is something belonging to the nostalgic past.

Hope that helps. :smile: x
Reply 757
Would greatly appreciate help/tips on answering Section A in general :smile: especially on how to structure answers or the things that Examiners are especially looking for candidates to include!

Reply 758
Original post by rlw12
Would greatly appreciate help/tips on answering Section A in general :smile: especially on how to structure answers or the things that Examiners are especially looking for candidates to include!

These are from the AQA examiner reports. Hope they help :smile:

Tips from examiner reports for Aa
-Pin down the story write about the aspects of narrative in relation to the story. When candidates perform well, they have usually pinned down the story at the start of their answer and the comments on various techniques have been related to that story.
-The least successful answers were by those candidates who picked out words, similes, punctuation or verse patterns. It is more productive to write about structure and voices than single words, similes and colour imagery.
-Often the best candidates either briefly summarised the story discussing authorial methods in the light of it or the story was integrated into comments about structure, voice, form and language

Examiner tips for Ab
-The best answers are those which often challenge the premises set up in the questions. There is also an expectation that since this is an open book examination, the text is well used to support the arguments the candidates posit.
-Candidates who did not read the questions carefully, or who tried to subvert them, often struggled.
- There is always a connection between the even and odd numbered questions and this is to help candidates. The same text can be used since it will be written about in different ways.
-There is a difference between place and setting places are SPECIFIC such as the inn in ‘At an Inn’ or the pond in ‘Neutral Tones’
- Weaker answers tended to be short or rather vague with little reference to the text. Sometimes candidates included material that was more relevant to Aa. This was a pity as such material could have secured marks had it been included in Aa
-. Although other contexts may be used as part of an argument, there is no point ever in simply citing biographical, social or historical material for its own sake.
Reply 759
Original post by fxyz
These are from the AQA examiner reports. Hope they help :smile:

Tips from examiner reports for Aa
-Pin down the story write about the aspects of narrative in relation to the story. When candidates perform well, they have usually pinned down the story at the start of their answer and the comments on various techniques have been related to that story.
-The least successful answers were by those candidates who picked out words, similes, punctuation or verse patterns. It is more productive to write about structure and voices than single words, similes and colour imagery.
-Often the best candidates either briefly summarised the story discussing authorial methods in the light of it or the story was integrated into comments about structure, voice, form and language

Examiner tips for Ab
-The best answers are those which often challenge the premises set up in the questions. There is also an expectation that since this is an open book examination, the text is well used to support the arguments the candidates posit.
-Candidates who did not read the questions carefully, or who tried to subvert them, often struggled.
- There is always a connection between the even and odd numbered questions and this is to help candidates. The same text can be used since it will be written about in different ways.
-There is a difference between place and setting places are SPECIFIC such as the inn in ‘At an Inn’ or the pond in ‘Neutral Tones’
- Weaker answers tended to be short or rather vague with little reference to the text. Sometimes candidates included material that was more relevant to Aa. This was a pity as such material could have secured marks had it been included in Aa
-. Although other contexts may be used as part of an argument, there is no point ever in simply citing biographical, social or historical material for its own sake.

Thank you so much! exactly what i was looking for :smile:
x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending