The Student Room Group

AQA- English Literature at AS Level, Literature B

Scroll to see replies

I did TROTAM for Section A. The Aa question was perfect because I revised that like hell, but as usual my time management skills weren't exactly good, so I decided to write a quick intro for the Ab question and go onto the B section. I wrote about The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner and The Lady of Shalott as the Tennyson poem and that took longer than expected so I only really got 10 minutes to finish up section Ab. Hopefully I'll get good marks on the Section B as well as Aa because my Ab which is usually my strong point was bloody awful.
Reply 801
Original post by Vikasi
How much of the whole AS is coursework? If I got about 28/30 on both of my pieces of coursework, what score would I need to get in the exam to get an A overall?

Got a C on the exam the last time (A harsh D, actually, that then went up after a remark). Fun times.

Coursework is worth 40% of AS, 20% of A2.

I'm guessing 56/60 is a high A? I think you'd just need a good B or maybe low A to get A overall, depends on what the grade boundaries are like this year :smile:
Reply 802
I did Tennyson for section A which was nice as i wasprepared for Godiva, Mariana or Tithonus to come up.

Section Ab I thought was alright I said that it I agreed to a high extent because Mariana is passive and she is portrayed negatively, Godiva is active and is given a positive presentation, and then Tithonus was used as my counter arguement because his action lead to his immortality -his downfall.

Section B - I did Rime, Gatsby and The Road. I said in Gatsby, Fitzgerald allows Nick to modify the speech which hints to us he is an unreliable narrator. Fitzgerald allows Nick to use alot of reported speech articularly with Gatsby, this helps build the character of Gatsby - however this character may not be Gatsby but Nick's vision of him. I used Tony Tanner to back this arguement he said that "only 4% of Gatsby's speech is irect speech.

In Rime I talked about thhe use of dialogue at the begining to establish the genre of a christian allegory, there is a struggle for power. Ultimately the Mariner will win because he has to tell the story "at his will". Coleridge describes the wedding guest as a 3yr old child so it gives the mariner didactic authority, and gives the mariner a sense of gravitas.

I also said that it helps develop the theme of the supernatural, this is presented by the "wedding guest's constant interjection's "I fear the ancient mariner." As it's in framed narrative at this point we essentially become the wedding guest, - the dialogue has a dual purpose, it breaks up the mariners long rant, but also highlight out opinions. The exploration of the supernatural was enjoyed at this time people were fearful, so the dialogue helps establish that eerie mood and develops the theme.

In "The Road" I wrote that speech becomes distorted because of the lack of speech marks, and this helps to develop the theme of survival. The text has adapted to survive into "new world" things such as speech marks have become superfluos and unnessary so the text has evolved, McCarthy presents to us the sacrifices that people have mae to survive within the new world.

McCarthy also uses speech to build the character of "The boy" in the beginning the son is afraid, and his speech echoes this when they see the man struck by lightning, however when they see the baby on the spit the father feels "He never knew if he'd speak again" When "The Boy" does begin to talk again it highlights how he has becoming adverse to the harsh life that is the post apocalyptic world, McCarthy uses the speech toshow the transistion of the boy's character from boyhood to the beginning of manhood.

But again Im not sure
:s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest