The Student Room Group

AQA- English Literature at AS Level, Literature B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
you know in terms of different interpretations? does that literally just mean for A(b) showing the other side of the argument and for section B just saying how for example symbolism could mean two things? i'm never quite sure what they want...

Yes. But remember for Section A (b) you must be very cogent with your argument; don't give the other side of the argument much coverage, but acknowledge that there is a counter-argument, and then go on to say why it's weaker than your argument.

For Section B, I would say that you're right. Talk about how it could be argued that settings are used in different ways.
Reply 141
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
ahh this was so helpful thanks for writing all that :smile: been making massive mindmaps for each chapter so i'll add some of that in :smile:
tbh i'm less worried about gatsby, because i'm doing that for section A and there seems to be quite a lot to analyse in each chapter, i'm more worried about section B and if i'm going to be able to make my texts fit the question... do you know if you need to make each mini essay equally weighted?

no problem ,
no you can write most abotu the text you knwo more about as long as you can make it fit the question,but you must make sure you cover each text.
what texts are you doing?
If youve got any same as me ill hsow you how you write a sectionb repsonce :smile:
Reply 142
Just thought I'd let you guys know what I'm doing,

For Section A, we've focused our learning on Tennyson, and have been practicising essays for possible questions.
For Section B, we're studying Gatsby, Haddon, and Browning.

I find our approach to Section A very straightforward - I've crossed off all of Tennyson's poem which have occurred on previous exams, (although obviously I still revise them just in case) and have discovered AQA have not tested us on The Lotos Eaters for Section A, so I have a feeling that could perhaps come up?
And to be honest I'm quite worried about Section B...Anyone have any tips?

We've done an example essay on How does the writer use repetition... which I'm fairly comfortable on, and then there's places, time, structure, key events, endings, openings, narrators, how are characters created....
I've written a list of sub-headings including Openings, Titles, Key Events, Time, Endings, Narrators and Places.
Anyone have any notes for Brownings Poems, The Curious Incident and Gatsby which relate to any of those headings? ^
Thanks a lot.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 143
Oh and Section A, (b) I am completely useless at.
I'm doing Tennyson for Section A.

I had a mock exam using the past paper question, "To what extent do you agree that stagnation and inactvity dominate the worlds of Tennyson's poems."
So, like an idiot, I made absolutely no reference to context and just included a load of language points, which I now know is wrong.

I actually included a load of context about Tennysons life to answer the Section A(a) answer to Mariana, writing about how it was set in Somersby, reflecting his isolation etc etc but obviously gained no marks.

I'm just not really sure how to revise for Section A question B
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by paigums
Oh and Section A, (b) I am completely useless at.
I'm doing Tennyson for Section A.

I had a mock exam using the past paper question, "To what extent do you agree that stagnation and inactvity dominate the worlds of Tennyson's poems."
So, like an idiot, I made absolutely no reference to context and just included a load of language points, which I now know is wrong.

I actually included a load of context about Tennysons life to answer the Section A(a) answer to Mariana, writing about how it was set in Somersby, reflecting his isolation etc etc but obviously gained no marks.

Can someone direct me as to how I can revise for Section A(b) answers?

I did that same question as a timed essay in class too about stagnation.
I got 13/21, a band 4. I fail at tennyson, but i'm not going to do that anyways for section a (doing auden for section a)
Reply 145
Original post by EffKayy
I got 13/21, a band 4. I fail at tennyson, but i'm not going to do that anyways for section a (doing auden for section a)

What about Section B? Are you doing Browning/Gatsby/Curious Incident?
Reply 146
Original post by EffKayy

And how do you plan to revise for Section A(b) ?

Are you gonna revise the time period Auden wrote the poems in etc?
Reply 147
I got 16 marks for the stagnation question ,and than improved it and got it up to a 19.
if you tell me some of the points you put in, i cna tell you how to link it to context and develop your argument.

also rember you get marks for literary context , and you can get those marks just by finding similarities within Tennysons text, and differences. you could use context to link them and explain the differences.For exmaple with ullyses you could tlak about how tennyson wrote it after he lost his freind Arthur harlem. Then you could argue that it represents a need to push forwerd with life 'to strive, to seek, and not to yeild'.

hope that helps, i know its a bit vague, but if you have any specific questions ill try asweing them.
Reply 148
Original post by paigums
And how do you plan to revise for Section A(b) ?

Are you gonna revise the time period Auden wrote the poems in etc?

For auden, it would be a good idea to make notes of the context that effected each poem.it wont take you more than 10-15 minutes each. revising it this way will mean that your context will be embeded well in your argument, in the exam. plus it will mean you have enough info if you get a question on a specific poem.
than make links between the themes withing the poems. so for exmaple you would link september the first and ode becosue they are both indictments on the secreative nature of war and the utilatarian nature of society.

hope that helps
Reply 149
Original post by humera01
I got 16 marks for the stagnation question ,and than improved it and got it up to a 19.
if you tell me some of the points you put in, i cna tell you how to link it to context and develop your argument.

also rember you get marks for literary context , and you can get those marks just by finding similarities within Tennysons text, and differences. you could use context to link them and explain the differences.For exmaple with ullyses you could tlak about how tennyson wrote it after he lost his freind Arthur harlem. Then you could argue that it represents a need to push forwerd with life 'to strive, to seek, and not to yeild'.

hope that helps, i know its a bit vague, but if you have any specific questions ill try asweing them.

Thanks for your reply.
I mistakenly mentioned Tennyson in Section(a) and his sadness over Harlem, so surely I could just incorporate what I had written there into the (b) answer? I wrote how he appears an omniscient narrator as as understands Mariana's feelings.... His sadness is why Mariana's inactive etc?

Really for the Stagnation question I answered for AO2 and didnt do any context, most of my stuff was just language.

So I shouuld research Tennyson's time, and then if answering the question again, mention the Industrial Revolution...etc.... Im just so confused!
Reply 150

What's your coursework mark
Reply 151
I'm trying to make a list of context for each of Tennyson's poems, so what went on at the time it was written in both society and Tennyson's life.
That sound right?
Reply 152
Original post by paigums

For Section A, we've focused our learning on Tennyson, and have been practicising essays for possible questions.

I find our approach to Section A very straightforward - I've crossed off all of Tennyson's poem which have occurred on previous exams, (although obviously I still revise them just in case) and have discovered AQA have not tested us on The Lotos Eaters for Section A, so I have a feeling that could perhaps come up?

We've done an example essay on How does the writer use repetition... which I'm fairly comfortable on, and then there's places, time, structure, key events, endings, openings, narrators, how are characters created....
I've written a list of sub-headings including Openings, Titles, Key Events, Time, Endings, Narrators and Places.
Anyone have any notes for Brownings Poems, The Curious Incident and Gatsby which relate to any of those headings? ^
Thanks a lot.

im also doing tennyson in section A.
for section b just make summery diagrams for each aspect of narrative in each text. for the borwnign poetry you will probabaly only talk about 2 or three poems int he exam , so you should pick 2/3 poem s for each aspect of narrative and make notes on them, thta wya no matter what the question is you will now which poetry you are doing .
the exam board has covered all the aspects of narrative so it will rpoabably be one of the ones thta has come up before but worded differently.

for example if time and sequence has come up before they would word it differently and ask about chronology. just make sure you get your detailed notes doen and than practise a few essays and perfect you technique. if you want to knwo where you could improve, upload a couple fo your paragraphs on here , and ill be happy to show you where you could improve.im sure there will also be other people who would be ahppy to do the same.trust me this helps, me and another girl are doing that on here through emial and it helps

For the repitition essay that you did, what did you tlak about for the great gatsby?
Reply 153
im also doing tennyson in section A.
for section b just make summery diagrams for each aspect of narrative in each text. for the borwnign poetry you will probabaly only talk about 2 or three poems int he exam , so you should pick 2/3 poem s for each aspect of narrative and make notes on them, thta wya no matter what the question is you will now which poetry you are doing .
the exam board has covered all the aspects of narrative so it will rpoabably be one of the ones thta has come up before but worded differently.

for example if time and sequence has come up before they would word it differently and ask about chronology. just make sure you get your detailed notes doen and than practise a few essays and perfect you technique. if you want to knwo where you could improve, upload a couple fo your paragraphs on here , and ill be happy to show you where you could improve.im sure there will also be other people who would be ahppy to do the same.trust me this helps, me and another girl are doing that on here through emial and it helps

For the repitition essay that you did, what did you tlak about for the great gatsby?

Ah okay, thank you very much.

For Gatsby I mentioned Nick being an unreliable narrator as the whole story was told through his retrospective- evident by the repetition of the personal pronoun 'I'.
Fitzgerald repeatedly used flashbacks to give he reader into Gatsby's past...Gatsby is an enigmatic figure at the start of the novel and as we find out about his past it gradually helps build mystery +suspense etc
Repetition of white colours symbolise purity and innocence (Daisy +Gatsby) or wealth and corruption, as they are so wealthy they can afford to get rid of the clothes when ruined.
Repetition of green light at the end of Daisy's dock - symbol is repeated 17 times in the novel . Green = envy, jeealousy, hope, failing to achieve American Dream.
Repeated mention of Eyes - Dr EJ Eckleburg represented morality. Wilson compares eyes to God - God judging actions, looking over Valley of Ashes where Myrtle was run over - links to morality of characters.
Repetition of Cars - materialism. End of novel reader unstands background and motivations behind the story.,

i'm not sure if you were asking for help or to help me, but these are some notes we covered in class, if they help you then great!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 154
Ive actually just found a whole load of notes which I previously did in class covering narrative techniques for Gatsby, Browning and Haddon, so perfect for Section B answer!

-If anyone wants me to type some ideas up for them let me know.
Reply 155
Original post by paigums

Thanks a lot.

Just so you know, Tennyson's poems are often tested on parts. The Lotos Eaters is so long, it's likely they may ask about the first four stanzas, for example. Therefore, when doing your plans, make sure you have accommodated for the fact that your points may not be in the section they examine on!

I know lots of people who made this same mistake with The Lady of Shalott, only making plans for the whole poem.
Reply 156
Original post by paigums
Thanks for your reply.
I mistakenly mentioned Tennyson in Section(a) and his sadness over Harlem, so surely I could just incorporate what I had written there into the (b) answer? I wrote how he appears an omniscient narrator as as understands Mariana's feelings.... His sadness is why Mariana's inactive etc? you could give an alternative intepritation here and suggest that tennyson uses the mariners disire of inactivity to explore philasohpical ideas such as how much the individual owes ociety. should the marienrs be aloud to take 'long rest' after the years of service they have provided to the state ,or do they have a obligation to 'toil' with 'evil'.
Really for the Stagnation question I answered for AO2 and didnt do any context, most of my stuff was just language. you could then link the idea of withdrowel form society to the aldy of shalott , who you could argue in made inactive and passive becouse of the bariers that a sexiet vistorian society erects(not a supernatural 'curse'' . you coudl then argue that the idea that the protagonisists are rendered inactive by their cicumstances. you could use tithonus to explore this idea (he is decaying in ''thin'' arms as a 'shadow' of the man he once was.

mariana is a good one to tlak about to - we could argue that she is made inactive becouse 'he will not come'(context in the original mith he would nto marry her becouse she did not have a big enough dorey)- women are victims of victorian society, and made helpless by men. alternative intepritation- it is her inability to move on that renders her inactive- it coudl be argued thta hse disires inactivity 'i wish that i was dead- but it could also be argue that she wants death
to put an end to her present inactivity i am a aweary'. this ideais also present in Tithonus.than deside which arguemnt is stronger, and make a explcicit link back to the question .(you could suggest that overal the most convincing arguemnt is that the protagonists disire to put an end to their inactivity , and ironicaly seek this through detah, the ultimate form of inactivity
-
thanpresent the alternative argument. dynamic leadership and activity in godiva, and in when the lady 'left the loom'. you could also argue that Ullyses disires a life of activity.

i hope this helps(goos look reaidng it, this key boards messed up ,so when i type fast on it my spellings are f*****)

So I shouuld research Tennyson's time, and then if answering the question again, mention the Industrial Revolution...etc.... Im just so confused!

you dont need to dwell ot much in context its onyl 5 % of the marks, so you just make quick references.
Reply 157
Original post by paigums
Ive actually just found a whole load of notes which I previously did in class covering narrative techniques for Gatsby, Browning and Haddon, so perfect for Section B answer!

-If anyone wants me to type some ideas up for them let me know.

yss plese, for gatsby, that would be lovely.
Reply 158
Original post by Groat
Just so you know, Tennyson's poems are often tested on parts. The Lotos Eaters is so long, it's likely they may ask about the first four stanzas, for example. Therefore, when doing your plans, make sure you have accommodated for the fact that your points may not be in the section they examine on!

I know lots of people who made this same mistake with The Lady of Shalott, only making plans for the whole poem.

Alrighty, thanks Groat.
Reply 159
you dont need to dwell ot much in context its onyl 5 % of the marks, so you just make quick references.

Thank you very much for that answer!

So, if it's only 5%, what else should I be focusing on for a Section A (a) answer?
My teachers have highlighted the context as being a key area to study, I'm not sure what else the question is asking me to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending