The Student Room Group

Distinction between Theological determinism and Predestination

I am really quite confused. Text books don't seem to be clear, and my teachers don't seem too sure. So if I write what I think the distinction is here, could some wise person let me know if I'm right or where I'm going wrong please :smile:

Theological determinism
The idea that God has already decided who will be saved and go to Heaven and who will not. Humans have free will and autonomy, God's omniscience enables him to prejudge us on how we will use our free will during our life. Aquinas agreed with this idea; "...Man chooses not of necessity but freely"

Predestination
God, seemingly randomly, chooses people to whom he will give his Grace, allowing them to be saved. All humans are inherently sinful and doomed, it is the free giving of Grace from God which allows the chosen few to be saved. If people on this earth do good actions, it is purely because they were given Gods grace. There is nothing we can do to achieve salvation, it is purely in Gods hands. St Paul ("For God foreknew he also predicted...He also glorified"), Augustine ("The potter has authority over the clay from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for contempt) and Calvin ("Predestination is the eternal decree of God by which he determined that he wished to make of every man") all advocated this idea.

So thats my interpretation, could someone just let me know if its all right before I learn it :smile: Thank you
Reply 1
Any one? :biggrin:
Reply 2
Theological determinism is self-explanatory, we are determined by God. This doesn't mean full/hard determinism however, it just implies that because there's a God, our actions are mediated by him. For example, a watered down theological determinism is evil, we are determined to be evil because God punished Adam & Eve.

Predestination is a form of theological determinism as it says we are determined because of God, but does not allow for free will. God decides before birth who is saved and who is not - we have no control.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending