The Student Room Group

A2 Physics Unit 4 and 5 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
okay, so let's get talking about unit 5 :P I know nothing absolutely nothing right now, so I need to start revising pretty hard

what optional module are you guys doing?
Please be vigilant - if you see any Unit 4 discussion please report it. I don't really want the thread closed until midnight due to a few silly people spoiling it for everyone else (this applies to edexcel discussion only)
Reply 142
Help with this question please. :smile:
An ideal gas is heated from 300K to 600K. By what factor does the average speed of its molecules change?
Original post by Rosie2039

Help with this question please. :smile:
An ideal gas is heated from 300K to 600K. By what factor does the average speed of its molecules change?

Use:

1/2*m*v^2 = 3/2 KT

Increasing T by a 2 increases v by a factor of 'square root (2)'

Then v increases by 1.4ms^-1.

I got it now only. :p:
Reply 144
Can anyone explain the mechanism of nuclear fusion and the need for high denisties of matter and high temperature to bring it about and maintain it?
Original post by paul10
Are you able to sit unit 5 in january or does aqa only set unit 5 for the summer???

If your with Edexcel then i think you can :smile: xx
Can anyone explain the mechanism of nuclear fusion and the need for high denisties of matter and high temperature to bring it about and maintain it?

Fusion - in stars its usually 2 hydrogen nuclei into helium :smile: [im sure you know that]

- high densities are needed to increase the collision rate
- high temperature needed to "excite" the molecules more - making them gain kietic energy and again increasing collision rate

both of these need to be maintained otherwise the balance in radiation pressure and gravitational force would not remain - causing the whole red giant/supergiant, white dwarf, supernova, neutron star/back hole sequance would occur :smile:

hope its not to late! :biggrin: xx
Reply 147
Original post by HollyJayne
Fusion - in stars its usually 2 hydrogen nuclei into helium :smile: [im sure you know that]

- high densities are needed to increase the collision rate
- high temperature needed to "excite" the molecules more - making them gain kietic energy and again increasing collision rate

both of these need to be maintained otherwise the balance in radiation pressure and gravitational force would not remain - causing the whole red giant/supergiant, white dwarf, supernova, neutron star/back hole sequance would occur :smile:

hope its not to late! :biggrin: xx

Thanks a lot :smile:
Thanks a lot :smile:

Just to add in as well, you need to mention that the two nuclei have positive charges so they repel each other, that's why you need the high energy :smile:
Reply 149
Original post by soutioirsim
Just to add in as well, you need to mention that the two nuclei have positive charges so they repel each other, that's why you need the high energy :smile:

:yy:
howz prep? ready for tomorrow? :tongue:
:yy:
howz prep? ready for tomorrow? :tongue:

It's getting there, I know the topics quite well, I just hate the big wordy questions on stuff that you have to "apply your knowledge". That normally completely random :p:

What about you?
Reply 151
Original post by soutioirsim
It's getting there, I know the topics quite well, I just hate the big wordy questions on stuff that you have to "apply your knowledge". That normally completely random :p:

What about you?

Aaaaah i just can't wait for tomorrow! :tongue:
Original post by d_94
The link doesnt work for me?

Try this: http://www.studentforums.biz/pastpapers/]
Reply 154

Thanks soo much! (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending