The Student Room Group

Putting a levels down on ucas

Hi all,
I was just wondering if you absolutely have to disclose all subjects on a ucas application. Say for instance you do 5 a levels and you get 4 A's and one not so good grade, can you choose not to disclose the bad subject?
Reply 1
No you have to put all of your subjects down, unless you got a U.
Reply 2
Original post by Zottula
No you have to put all of your subjects down, unless you got a U.

I thought you still had to put a fail down? I failed Higher Maths last year and I was told to put it in.
Reply 3
Original post by Vitamin D
I thought you still had to put a fail down? I failed Higher Maths last year and I was told to put it in.

You don't have to put U down as you have not achieved anything. You do not have an A level in that subject. So you are not required to put it down.
Reply 4
Original post by Zottula
You don't have to put U down as you have not achieved anything. You do not have an A level in that subject. So you are not required to put it down.

Maybe it's different for Scottish grades :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by Vitamin D
Maybe it's different for Scottish grades :confused:

That is possible. I just know that for A levels a U grade is not certified and so you don't put it on your application.
Reply 6
Does anyone think one bad grade will vastly harm chances of getting to a good uni? For instance, if someone gets 4 A's and then one C/D grade?
Original post by Zottula
That is possible. I just know that for A levels a U grade is not certified and so you don't put it on your application.

This is incorrect. It is possible to certificate a U grade at A level, in which case it must be declared. This is why some people are told to declare them - because their school certificates them.
Original post by molthemoo
Does anyone think one bad grade will vastly harm chances of getting to a good uni? For instance, if someone gets 4 A's and then one C/D grade?

That rather depends on the subject, doesn't it? If an engineering candidate gets a D in history that is unlikely to be significant, but make that a D in maths and the situation is rather different. You must declare all certificated grades.
Reply 9
Original post by Good bloke
This is incorrect. It is possible to certificate a U grade at A level, in which case it must be declared. This is why some people are told to declare them - because their school certificates them.

Aaaah right. Ok thanks. This may sound like a really stupid question, but why would a school bother certifying a U grade?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Zottula
Aaaah right. Ok thanks. This may sound like a really stupid question, but why would a school bother certifying a U grade?

It beats me.
Reply 11
Original post by Good bloke
That rather depends on the subject, doesn't it? If an engineering candidate gets a D in history that is unlikely to be significant, but make that a D in maths and the situation is rather different. You must declare all certificated grades.

Ok so in my situation, I have one grade I'm not proud of for as last year in music, but I'm predicted 3 A's and an A* in my other subjects. So next year I could apply to very good unis for history (I mean top fivish here) regardless of the D because Music is a subject that's not considered academic and is vastly different to History? Thanks :smile:
Reply 12
And also in the presumption that I meet predicted grades.
Original post by molthemoo
Ok so in my situation, I have one grade I'm not proud of for as last year in music, but I'm predicted 3 A's and an A* in my other subjects. So next year I could apply to very good unis for history (I mean top fivish here) regardless of the D because Music is a subject that's not considered academic and is vastly different to History? Thanks :smile:

I don't think it would be so detrimental, no. However, a good grade in Music could be interpreted as being very dedicated and driven (learning pieces/instruments and all that). But by all means, do not let it hold you back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending