The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants for 2012 entry (& Offers - for when they're given!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King-Panther
No one knows you better than you. Far too (I cant emphasize that enough) many people get into architecture when they would be better suited to something else or would enjoy far more. Its not for everyone, like civil engineering isn't and so forth. However, architecture is for some, imagine if the likes of Da Vinci, Gaudí, Wright, Hadid, Wren, ect had been put off by people like colin4president, the world (at least architecturally) wouldn't be the same. All people need to do is question their motives and the suitability (realistically) and there will be far less unhappy architects and far more happy people in different professions.

i would disagree with the idea that it is possible to predict whether you would enjoy architecture or not by looking at your motives, strengths, skills etc. In fact i would say this whole issue is not entirely down to whether people are suited to it or not. Even the people who are leading the way in my year (6 days till last deadline, .....almost....there....!) are emotionally drained and hate it. I've got a friend who is most certainly 'suited' to it and he's doing well, but he still hates it all and wishes he'd done something more straightforward.

basically, even those who are suited to it and do well suffer from the bad aspects of the course - unhelpful tutors, unsociable workload etc. Its a strange strange course and it has to be asked - is it all worth it? Most in my year would say no.

one Hadid and fifty people with no lives/2:2's/whatever. good for the world (architecturally speaking) in general... not so good for those with the 2:2's!

one more thing... just consider that you wouldn't reprimand someone for coming on here and posting "guys, i got to architecture school and it's great, you should all come!". But when i give my take on it from my experience, i'm shot down. I haven't got a vendetta or something, i don't want to keep architecture all to myself. I just want to warn people about the hell hole that is architecture school...
Original post by colin4president
i would disagree with the idea that it is possible to predict whether you would enjoy architecture or not by looking at your motives, strengths, skills etc. In fact i would say this whole issue is not entirely down to whether people are suited to it or not. Even the people who are leading the way in my year (6 days till last deadline, .....almost....there....!) are emotionally drained and hate it. I've got a friend who is most certainly 'suited' to it and he's doing well, but he still hates it all and wishes he'd done something more straightforward.

basically, even those who are suited to it and do well suffer from the bad aspects of the course - unhelpful tutors, unsociable workload etc. Its a strange strange course and it has to be asked - is it all worth it? Most in my year would say no.

one Hadid and fifty people with no lives/2:2's/whatever. good for the world (architecturally speaking) in general... not so good for those with the 2:2's!

one more thing... just consider that you wouldn't reprimand someone for coming on here and posting "guys, i got to architecture school and it's great, you should all come!". But when i give my take on it from my experience, i'm shot down. I haven't got a vendetta or something, i don't want to keep architecture all to myself. I just want to warn people about the hell hole that is architecture school...

Well, I only know two people outside this forum who have said negative things about architecture, they were actually students from the Bartlett. Saying that, I know 5-6 others from the Bartlett who have great things to say. All the guys from the AA seem to be very positive. As for this forum, its you and archiboi who are being negative and I'm sure archiboi's motive is to keep architecture to himself. I'm assuming he's not that good, hence why he feels the need to deter the competition, you may be the same for all I know :wink:.

Most of the big courses, including medicine and law have a heavy workload, if you're not prepared to put the work in, go home (thats what you're doing right, as in doing another course instead?). Bad tutors would depend on the individual tutor/school, not for every tutor and every school.

You're right, architecture is going to be hell to study, it won't be easy and it will not be for the faint hearted but it is for some and those some should pursue it (whoever they may be and however you determine who is suited to it and why). There are other courses out there that people are better of studying but we need architects (no too many to be fair, well at least not in this economical climate. I could swear I heard almost 50% of architects who have just graduated can't find work, as there is none for them!! :eek:)

We most concur that architecture = survival of the fittest and only the strong will survive! It seems you and your class have fallen victims to natural selection. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Last time I checked the highest employment rate in architecture from a UK university was 25%...
Original post by TheMeters
Last time I checked the highest employment rate in architecture from a UK university was 25%...

Wow, so it is worse than I thought.. What school was that?
Reply 44
Can't remember, Nottingham or somewhere I think. I remember Cambridge was only 15%.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheMeters
Can't remember, Nottingham or somewhere I think. I remember Cambridge was only 15%.

nah, i'm at notts and it's not quite that bad. year leader said most people who want it will find some sort of work next year. maybe he's sugar coating, i don't know. a few friends have jobs already.

and king-panther.... wow, no need to get personal. i'm not saying i'm gods gift to architecture..... but i will say that when someone is negative about architecture it doesn't automatically mean they are not good at it or are not prepared to put the workload in. Thanks for deciding that my year group at nottingham is poor, because I said many haven't enjoyed it. I'll use the example of my friend again - he's on course for a first yet has hated every minute of it.

go home? errr... thanks. masters at bartlett next year.... you can come round for tea.
Reply 46
despite the negative aspects i still can't wait to study architecture and as people have mentioned before, if you're 100% commited you could put up with the stress.

I'm thinking of applying to UCL, Cardiff, Oxford Brookes and maybe Newcastle. What uni is everyone else thinking of applying to?? :smile:
nah, i'm at notts and it's not quite that bad. year leader said most people who want it will find some sort of work next year. maybe he's sugar coating, i don't know. a few friends have jobs already.

and king-panther.... wow, no need to get personal. i'm not saying i'm gods gift to architecture..... but i will say that when someone is negative about architecture it doesn't automatically mean they are not good at it or are not prepared to put the workload in. Thanks for deciding that my year group at nottingham is poor, because I said many haven't enjoyed it. I'll use the example of my friend again - he's on course for a first yet has hated every minute of it.

go home? errr... thanks. masters at bartlett next year.... you can come round for tea.

Lol, I'm sorry, it was a bit personal. I don't understand why people are saying what they're saying, I'm just going to have to study it and find out for myself. Tea at the Bartleet, I may actually take you up on that :wink:. Good luck.
Reply 48

Unistats says 20% of nottingham students got jobs in architecture last year (just looked it up) so it's even worse than 25%.
Lol, I'm sorry, it was a bit personal. I don't understand why people are saying what they're saying, I'm just going to have to study it and find out for myself. Tea at the Bartleet, I may actually take you up on that :wink:. Good luck.

Christ, are you not even on the course yet? You're on this sub-forum a lot, stop writing with the kind of authority you're projecting, advice needs to trickle down from the top, you don't have a clue about the actual course until you do it.
Original post by GormlessWonder
Christ, are you not even on the course yet? You're on this sub-forum a lot, stop writing with the kind of authority you're projecting, advice needs to trickle down from the top, you don't have a clue about the actual course until you do it.

Well, yes that is what I said. Yes, is that a problem, I have an interest in studying architecture, hence why I'm on this forum. I've done a foundation in architecture at uni. I don't have a clue, I'm sure that I have a slight idea what it will be like, obviously not entirely as I haven't studied the full course. However, wouldn't it be different at every school and for every individual. What advice and authority projecting comments do you have a problem with?
Well, yes that is what I said. Yes, is that a problem, I have an interest in studying architecture, hence why I'm on this forum. I've done a foundation in architecture at uni. I don't have a clue, I'm sure that I have a slight idea what it will be like, obviously not entirely as I haven't studied the full course. However, wouldn't it be different at every school and for every individual. What advice and authority projecting comments do you have a problem with?

I've just noticed you're on here a lot posting things talking about the course, it's misleading to the people coming up. I know we complain a lot, but let people studying the course talk about their course without questioning their motives.

Around this time last year when I was on foundation I posted heavily, but it was only really to advise people on the application process and on foundations. The things that, at that time, I was in the best position here to talk about. Just reading everything else. In my mind that's the attitude people should have on this forum.
I've just noticed you're on here a lot posting things talking about the course, it's misleading to the people coming up. I know we complain a lot, but let people studying the course talk about their course without questioning their motives.

Around this time last year when I was on foundation I posted heavily, but it was only really to advise people on the application process and on foundations. The things that, at that time, I was in the best position here to talk about. Just reading everything else. In my mind that's the attitude people should have on this forum.

What have I said that is misleading? I would like you to quote me on that and if you can't, don't say such a thing.... Let me give you an example to show you how poor your argument is, have you heard of "cause and effect", for there to be an effect, there has to have been a cause. Hypothetically speaking, If we see a person sitting on the street crying, will we not question why they are crying and what is the reason/motive or will assume there is none, they're crying for the sake of crying. An architect student is complaining about their course, as inspiring architects with inquisitive minds, will we not want to know why and question this?

I don't talk about things I don't know about, yes I haven't studied a degree in architecture but I know people who have and I will say that my friends have said this and that. I do give portfolio advice as I've done two foundations and I talk to my lecturers A LOT about what a portfolio should contain, as well as seeing portfolio's that have been successful to the big schools, I can say what I've seen and what seems desirable. What I know about courses from what I've heard from ex/current students as well as the research I've done.
What have I said that is misleading? I would like you to quote me on that and if you can't, don't say such a thing.... Let me give you an example to show you how poor your argument is, have you heard of "cause and effect", for there to be an effect, there has to have been a cause. Hypothetically speaking, If we see a person sitting on the street crying, will we not question why they are crying and what is the reason/motive or will assume there is none, they're crying for the sake of crying. An architect student is complaining about their course, as inspiring architects with inquisitive minds, will we not want to know why and question this?

I don't talk about things I don't know about, yes I haven't studied a degree in architecture but I know people who have and I will say that my friends have said this and that. I do give portfolio advice as I've done two foundations and I talk to my lecturers A LOT about what a portfolio should contain, as well as seeing portfolio's that have been successful to the big schools, I can say what I've seen and what seems desirable. What I know about courses from what I've heard from ex/current students as well as the research I've done.

I'll spend time sifting through your old posts if you feel the need to defend yourself so strongly. But basically what I'm saying is, since you haven't taken the course, don't sashay around comments like this:

"As for this forum, its you and archiboi who are being negative and I'm sure archiboi's motive is to keep architecture to himself. I'm assuming he's not that good, hence why he feels the need to deter the competition"

"Most of the big courses, including medicine and law have a heavy workload, if you're not prepared to put the work in, go home (thats what you're doing right, as in doing another course instead?). Bad tutors would depend on the individual tutor/school, not for every tutor and every school."

"No money, well thats not true, try telling Norman Foster or Zaha Hadid that."

"Trust you???? No, I'm sure most won't regret it, just because you and some of your class did."

"Far too (I cant emphasize that enough) many people get into architecture when they would be better suited to something else or would enjoy far more. Its not for everyone, like civil engineering isn't and so forth."

Really, you just need to get to grips with the facts of the situation. I want to read your posts throughout next year, even into 4th year. You've got a lot of maturing to do, a lot to experiences to have. What I'm saying is these blasé comments 'supported by friends' trying to undermine 3rd years here, 5th years even, are a waste of the forum's time right now.
I'll spend time sifting through your old posts if you feel the need to defend yourself so strongly. But basically what I'm saying is, since you haven't taken the course, don't sashay around comments like this:

"As for this forum, its you and archiboi who are being negative and I'm sure archiboi's motive is to keep architecture to himself. I'm assuming he's not that good, hence why he feels the need to deter the competition"

"Most of the big courses, including medicine and law have a heavy workload, if you're not prepared to put the work in, go home (thats what you're doing right, as in doing another course instead?). Bad tutors would depend on the individual tutor/school, not for every tutor and every school."

"No money, well thats not true, try telling Norman Foster or Zaha Hadid that."

"Trust you???? No, I'm sure most won't regret it, just because you and some of your class did."

"Far too (I cant emphasize that enough) many people get into architecture when they would be better suited to something else or would enjoy far more. Its not for everyone, like civil engineering isn't and so forth."

Really, you just need to get to grips with the facts of the situation. I want to read your posts throughout next year, even into 4th year. You've got a lot of maturing to do, a lot to experiences to have. What I'm saying is these blasé comments 'supported by friends' trying to undermine 3rd years here, 5th years even, are a waste of the forum's time right now.

Which of those quotes is misleading???

Look, I'm not the one trying to deter people from studying architecture, the last post is directed at Colin4president and his cronies... What facts are these????? "A lot of maturing to do", seriously, don't patronise me.

I'm not trying to undermine them, they should be more diplomatic how they go about giving people advice. They do not even know these people or anything about them and they're like "don't study architecture, you're better of studying something else"! That is unacceptable, who are they to stamp on someone's aspiration and dream to become an architect just because they have had a bad experience.

Why are they a waste of the forums time, I know around 20 people who have/are studying architecture and have only met one who has told me architecture is not the only career, it wouldn't be a crime to consider other options.
(edited 12 years ago)
i have cronies now?? HAHAHAHAHA!
i have cronies now?? HAHAHAHAHA!

I didn't mean it in a bad way, but you agreed with me when I said "architecture isn't for everybody" but a lot of people want to get into it anyway.. Oh well, our life, our choice.
Sounds like I've entered a heated debate on the merits of studying Architecture here but I shall revert back to the original subject. Just confirmed an offer from Manchester School of Architecture for BArch. Unconditional offer after getting a 2.1 from Leeds Met in undergrad. Anyone else BArch at Man this year?
HEEEYY this thread was supposed to be for people who want to apply to University for Architecture courses commencing in 2012, it appears that it has gone just every so slightly off topic!

I don't even know why I bothered now though, don't even want to take the subject anymore! (Not putting anyone else off, it's just not for me)

Anyhow, back to the main point of this post: Keep it nice guys!!
If you are good enough there will always be a place for you in this world .. even though you are a good driver or a good butcher ... So try to do your best and enjoy the passion ... NO JOB ..? Really ? Without architects ... you would be living in a box with a hole to get some air ... I am not sure what kind of problems I am going to get when I study Architecture but I am quite sure that no matter how harsh the problems ..I would never give up and I will surely become a great architect .. Remember If you are the best at what you do .. people will surely come and look for you ..Try To Be The Best ..Nothing Else !!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending