The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants for 2012 entry (& Offers - for when they're given!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Doesn't really matter as they're not going to know. Most people's GCSE work probably wouldn't be of a high enough standard though.
Hi, I'm applying for architecture this year too! Definately applying to Cambridge, Bath, UCL, Northumbria and then one of Manchester/Sheffield/Oxford Brookes.

Scary times ahead!
Hey guys I'm an international student and will probably be applying for architecture in sept but I'm a bit worried about the huge amount of fees (nearly £80k for an international?!:afraid::afraid:). So I'm Just wondering how you guys are gonna cope with this problem?
Reply 83
I'm an international student and applying for architecture too. looking at cambridge, ucl, esala(university of edinburgh), cardiff and oxford brookes.
pretty stressed especially for this portfolio. i have no models or 3d work!
Reply 84
Original post by lonely_cupid
Hey guys I'm an international student and will probably be applying for architecture in sept but I'm a bit worried about the huge amount of fees (nearly £80k for an international?!:afraid::afraid:). So I'm Just wondering how you guys are gonna cope with this problem?

80K? Where are you looking at? I'm looking at overseas fees and most of what I'm looking at is around 10K / year.
Original post by ihatethispart
Quick question about the portfolio. Does it matter that we use really old work from GCSE and A level, or do they prefer that you create new work specifically for handing in to the university?

Hey, I'm starting architecture in Kent in the next few weeks. When I was preparing portfolios, different universities wanted different things (Kent and Bath didn't ask me for one), Cambridge I had to take my portfolio into my interview, Cardiff wanted photocopies of previous work, and plymouth wanted a digital portfolio! Hope that helps, and just ask if you have any more questions! :smile:
Reply 86
Hey, I'm starting architecture in Kent in the next few weeks. When I was preparing portfolios, different universities wanted different things (Kent and Bath didn't ask me for one), Cambridge I had to take my portfolio into my interview, Cardiff wanted photocopies of previous work, and plymouth wanted a digital portfolio! Hope that helps, and just ask if you have any more questions!

what exactly did you include? did you have any pictures of models?
Building models? no! They don't expect you to have architectural experience, just a design flair, ability to draw half decently and a keen interest in the subject! Then different universities focus more into different things, so you should make that clear in your personal statement (but dont just focus on one university's preferences!)
I did have some CAD models of some 3D work, and the start of my product design project for A level, which was a cafe. But this was pretty basic work as the design hadn't been that far developed when I had to send the portfolios off.
In my portfolio, I had some observational drawings, computer graphics work and some 3D CAD modelling, plus the projects I have done in GCSE and A level for product design. So any projects you have done that are design related I would include! Oh and I did include some photography/photo editing in one of the portfolios.
Hope that helped :smile:
Original post by VickiSellwood
Hey, I'm starting architecture in Kent in the next few weeks. When I was preparing portfolios, different universities wanted different things (Kent and Bath didn't ask me for one), Cambridge I had to take my portfolio into my interview, Cardiff wanted photocopies of previous work, and plymouth wanted a digital portfolio! Hope that helps, and just ask if you have any more questions! :smile:

What reason did Cambridge give for not accepting you?
Reply 89
Original post by ihatethispart
Quick question about the portfolio. Does it matter that we use really old work from GCSE and A level, or do they prefer that you create new work specifically for handing in to the university?

no doesnt matter if its old just make sure its good, and that theres a wide range
Original post by King-Panther
What reason did Cambridge give for not accepting you?

That there was a high quality of applicants or something like that! They were very vauge to be honest! Are you applying to cambridge?
That there was a high quality of applicants or something like that! They were very vauge to be honest! Are you applying to cambridge?

I will do eventually. To which college did you apply and what were your predicted grades?
Reply 92
Hi, I am going to apply to study architecture at UCL for 2012. I am curious as to what the 'assesment task' will involve, and when in the process is it required (approximately what time of year). Does anyone have any examples of work that they have sumbitted for the task in previous years?
Original post by jlc123
Hi, I am going to apply to study architecture at UCL for 2012. I am curious as to what the 'assesment task' will involve, and when in the process is it required (approximately what time of year). Does anyone have any examples of work that they have sumbitted for the task in previous years?

You should get the task 2-3 weeks after you apply. The 2011 architecture entry thread has many examples. You just have to search through the thread using the "search this thread" tool.
I will do eventually. To which college did you apply and what were your predicted grades?

Trinity College! (The place is amazing!! Make sure you look around when you are there!!) And I was predicted A*AAa
A* for Maths
A for Physics
A for Design Technology (Product Design)
a for Business Studies AS
Reply 95
Is anyone else reapplying after being unsucessful for 2011 entry?
Trinity College! (The place is amazing!! Make sure you look around when you are there!!) And I was predicted A*AAa
A* for Maths
A for Physics
A for Design Technology (Product Design)
a for Business Studies AS

Indeed, Trinity is amazing but it is very, very competitive.
Reply 97
Indeed, Trinity is amazing but it is very, very competitive.

I think architecture in general is competitive, have you seen the stats on the unis website? Its the lowest admission rate out of all the subjects
Original post by ChrisE2
I think architecture in general is competitive, have you seen the stats on the unis website? Its the lowest admission rate out of all the subjects

Yes I know, architecture is Cambridge's most competitive course but its just that Trinity as well as Emma will have some of the strongest applicants, for all its courses. In terms of numbers, Kings is also ridiculously competitive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 99
Yes I know, architecture is Cambridge's most competitive course but its just that Trinity as well as Emma will have some of the strongest applicants, for all its courses. In terms of numbers, Kings is also ridiculously competitive.

I would hope that there wont be as many applications this year!

Quick Reply