The Student Room Group

Most tragic deaths in literature?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blinkbelle
If you've ever read or heard of Hardy before you should have been preparing yourself for a death long before you even picked up the book :biggrin: xx

But the end of Far from the madding crowd was so happy :frown:
now everytime a character is introduced i like 'oh god dont like him whatever you do cus they might be the one that dies!'
Reply 101
tess of the d'urbervilles 100%
Original post by emiliee21
But the end of Far from the madding crowd was so happy :frown:
now everytime a character is introduced i like 'oh god dont like him whatever you do cus they might be the one that dies!'

I can't wait to see your reaction :smile: xx
Original post by Reminisce

Original post by Reminisce
The Time Traveler's Wife

Spoiler

YES. My Mum read the book before me and she was crying for hours, I nearly did too ...
Reply 104
What themes to do the characters of Mice and men portray ?
Original post by D.V.Evans
What themes to do the characters of Mice and men portray ?

Do your own homework :wink:
There was a couple of deaths in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that were quite tragic:frown:... The chapters "The Prince's Tale" and "The Forest again" made me cry :colondollar: as did the death of a certain Redhead :frown:
Reply 107
oh crap now i know snape dies! :angry:
Reply 108
Too many from Harry Potter.
Marley in Marley and me.
Anna in My Sister's Keeper
And I may have felt more upset over Boxer in Animal Farm, if it wasn't for the fact we were sucking the book dry by studying it.
Loads of the deaths in Harry Potter:

Spoiler

Mickey and Eddie's death in Blood Brothers always has me in floods. (It's not exactly a spoiler, though!)

Marley and Me is heartbreaking, as is the end of Noughts and Crosses.
Reply 110
The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons:

Spoiler

Original post by blinkbelle
I can't wait to see your reaction :smile: xx

you'll receive a reply in like 3 weeks thats reads something like 'you bitch, i was expecting that death. you ruined the book. AKA you ruined my life"
or something equally over dramatic hahaa xxx
Hedwig :'(
Hardy is famously tragic and took great delight in murdering his darlings. Individually, Jude the Obscure, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and The Mayor of Casterbirdge are fairly heart-wrenching, but taken together you have to think Hardy's relentless morbidity borders on the cartoonish.
Reply 114
Original post by JAR12
In the Silmarillion

Spoiler

Also Gorlim, Turin and Niniel/Nienor.
Reply 115
Original post by Annora
Also Gorlim, Turin and Niniel/Nienor.

I've just been flicking through the Silmarillion, and I've realised that I'd completely forgotten about Finduilas, Gwindor's widow and Túrin's beloved! The death I found most tragic!
That and Gorlim - I'd forgotten about him and Eilinel.
Reply 116
Original post by JAR12
I've just been flicking through the Silmarillion, and I've realised that I'd completely forgotten about Finduilas, Gwindor's widow and Túrin's beloved! The death I found most tragic!
That and Gorlim - I'd forgotten about him and Eilinel.

And them too! It's all pretty tragic. But in a good way.
I've come across quite a number of tragic deaths, but not once have I felt sympathy as there's always at least one fault in, or a wrong decision made by the character that, on itself, is enough to make the ending just.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending